Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png
The latest installment in the hugely popular Deus Ex video game series, 'Deus Ex: The Fall' has landed on iPhone and iPad slightly ahead of schedule.

The Fall is the first Deus Ex game to be released first on mobile devices, picking up where the book 'Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect' finishes.

Our sister-site TouchArcade tried the game at E3 and found it very promising:
Understandably, a bit of hesitation when you take a game that's traditionally is played on a PC or console makes the jump to virtual controls, but, as seen in this video, it's actually not that bad.

We're excited to (eventually) get deeper into the game, the E3 demos seemed to be very tutorial-heavy with lots of text popups and things teaching you how the game actually works. Touch to move is a little weird, and there's a lot of context-sensitive touch areas, but overall we walked away really impressed.
Deus Ex: The Fall is available on iPhone and iPad for $6.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Deus Ex: The Fall' for iOS Lands on App Store

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I'd quite like it if the guys in that demo video were able to read the on screen instructions.

Watching a man batter his left finger against the screen, which is asking for a right thumb press is somewhat disheartening.

That said, this looks pretty great and when I get around to playing HR, I could be tempted by a portable extension.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Jumped on this as soon as I found out the game came out a day early. I'm excited to jump into this after work today. I opened it briefly before and it looks great.

Always love seeing more Square Enix software.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Very nice, downloading... and I can imagine that with some of the fanbase that the Deus Ex series has, a lot of mom's-basement-gamers will devote a lot of their time on hating Square Enix for the decision of making an iOS game :D .

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Getting a game like this for $7 is insanity. Great time to be a gamer! iPads, iPhones, Oculus VR, Kinect, next-gen consoles on the way, and maybe apps soon for AppleTV? (On the flip side... Facebook and Zynga. Oh, well.)

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Getting a game like this for $7 is insanity. Great time to be a gamer! iPads, iPhones, Oculus VR, Kinect, next-gen consoles on the way, and maybe apps soon for AppleTV? (On the flip side... Facebook and Zynga. Oh, well.)

And yet there are still people who complain about the price and say they will wait for a sale. Times never change, no matter what platform you're buying for.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I'd quite like it if the guys in that demo video were able to read the on screen instructions.

Watching a man batter his left finger against the screen, which is asking for a right thumb press is somewhat disheartening.

That said, this looks pretty great and when I get around to playing HR, I could be tempted by a portable extension.

Ooh, HR is amazing, one of my all time faves! This can't download fast enough! :)

Sorta feel it's slightly the wrong sort of game for iOS though. A game like this demands your full attention, I'd rather have games that don't suffer from frequent pausing, or turn based games, on iOS. That's probably why XCOM works. A decent version of Civ would be awesome too.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

In my experience, FPS PC games don't translate well to a touch based format. I think this is just a money grab. Milk the tablet world for as much as they can get, and then release the game for PCs. The last version of Deus Ex was pretty good. That doesn't mean this version will be, and it will most likely suck on tablets whether it's good on PC or not. IMHO.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
In my experience, FPS PC games don't translate well to a touch based format. I think this is just a money grab. Milk the tablet world for as much as they can get, and then release the game for PCs. The last version of Deus Ex was pretty good. That doesn't mean this version will be, and it will most likely suck on tablets whether it's good on PC or not. IMHO.

Agreed and I'm pretty well exclusively an iPhone gamer now.

It looks a bit like the first time I saw Halo on an Xbox. I couldn't stop thinking "this is a Mac/PC game and it sux big time having to use a gamepad rather than a keyboard/mouse!!"

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Love seeing ambitious projects like this coming to tablet and mobile. This looks like the whole Deus Ex experience for £5. Amazing.

On a side note, can't see how on earth people can play FPS games on the big iPad. So uncomfortable.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Love seeing ambitious projects like this coming to tablet and mobile. This looks like the whole Deus Ex experience for £5. Amazing.

On a side note, can't see how on earth people can play FPS games on the big iPad. So uncomfortable.

I don't know about others, but I use an iPad Mini. It has never seemed too bad.

antidromic

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK
Very nice, downloading... and I can imagine that with some of the fanbase that the Deus Ex series has, a lot of mom's-basement-gamers will devote a lot of their time on hating Square Enix for the decision of making an iOS game :D .

Yes, because we aren't getting it on PC. Deus Ex is one of PC's most beloved franchises; putting a dumbed down version of it on iOS hurts for those who've been playing since the original game. I'm sure it isn't bad at all - I just bought it - but I wish Eidos had put their effort into a DXHR sequel rather than a version which can never hold a candle to the original, or even Invisible War, because of the platform's limitations.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
It's a completely different developer who made the game with the help of the author from the DX:HR prequel novel using largely recycled art assets. It's pure naivete to say that Square Enix is "diverting resources" to make this game, and the way that the PC gaming community is panning it without playing it is making me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

$7 is insane!!! It should be no more than 99 cents!! <joking> You pay for what you get, generally. Professional Developers don't work for free - their employers have to pay them - its still hard to get good mobile developers.

Some games that are available on iOS devices are very impressive, especially recently - XCom.

These days, consoles, especially handhelds have a lot of competition... I don't see handhelds lasting for too much longer. Smartphones and tablets will replace them. The iPod Touch is a great gaming platform.

AppleTV apps are coming soon I'm sure... Not sure what is holding back Apple.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
$7 is insane!!! It should be no more than 99 cents!! <joking>

Some games that are available on iOS devices are very impressively, especially recently - XCom.

These days, consoles, especially handhelds have a lot of competition... I don't see handhelds lasting for too much longer. Smartphones will replace them.

Between this, ports of XCOM, KotOR, and Baldur's Gate, and other 'franchise extensions' such as Mass Effect and Dead Space, the iPad is becoming quite the way to pass the time.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Between this, ports of XCOM, KotOR, and Baldur's Gate, and other 'franchise extensions' such as Mass Effect and Dead Space, the iPad is becoming quite the way to pass the time.

I'm having a problem with the touch interface...but when they release joypads for the iPad, look out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.