Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Can someone virtualize mac os x and provide them, as desktops through the Internet?

I have read that Apple allows only to do use a mac os x license only if you have
also a physical Apple machine. Is that true?Has anything changed on the latest Maverick Eula?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Can someone virtualize mac os x and provide them, as desktops through the Internet?

I have read that Apple allows only to do use a mac os x license only if you have
also a physical Apple machine. Is that true?Has anything changed on the latest Maverick Eula?
I would guess if you were running the virtualized OS X instances on a Mac that it might be legal.

Yes it's true. And Until Mavericks ships we won't know what changes are in the final EULA, however, I suspect it won't have changed in regards to running virtual instances of OS X.

Dion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
LION SLA SAYS:
"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.
The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies or instances of the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal sharing or other similar types of services.

C. Volume or Maintenance License. If you obtained the Apple Software under a volume or maintenance license program with Apple, the terms of your volume or maintenance license will determine the number of copies of the Apple Software you are permitted to download, install, use and run on Apple-branded computers you own or control. Except as agreed to in writing by Apple, all other terms and conditions of this License shall apply to your use of the Apple Software obtained under a volume or maintenance license."

As far as i understand if you are under the volume or maintenance license maybe you can run many virtualized machines in a single machine ? Right?

Btw thank you Bear for your answer.

Last edited:

Dion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
i have seen this website http://www.virtualmacosx.com/
they offer a lot of different versions of osx as a virtual desktop?
anybody has an idea how they have managed to do that?
it seems an interesting solution.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Looks like they setup a Mac desktop (Lion or Mt. Lion) and offer it to the user through Screen Sharing for a monthly fee...

Does not seem to be virtualization at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.