Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jobs, the first studio film based on the life of Steve Jobs will be released nationwide on August 16th following an introduction at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year.

Ahead of its debut, actor Ashton Kutcher has taken to the Q&A site Quora to explain why he chose to take on the role of Steve Jobs.

In addition to the Quora post, the production company behind Jobs has been using other social media sites to promote the film. Over the weekend, the company posted a 15-second version of the trailer on the video version of Instagram.

"Jobs", which stars Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs and Josh Gad as Steve Wozniak, is one of several Jobs-related films in the works or already released. Back in April, rumor site Funny or Die released a rather poorly received "iSteve" comedy film starring Justin Long, who had played the "Mac" character in Apple's long-running "Mac vs. PC" ad campaign.

A third film is being written by Aaron Sorkin and is the official adaptation of Jobs' authorized biography by Walter Isaacson. The film, which is still in the early stages of development, is planned to encompass three 30-minute scenes showing Jobs backstage just prior to the launches of the original Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher on Why He Chose to Play Steve Jobs

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
The movie..

The movie looks horrible but you have to respect that he had a passion for the project.

Or it's just a distraction to help build up interest.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's still hard to take Kutcher seriously. I'll see the movie of course, in spite of Kutcher. He looks like Steve Jobs. He doesn't sound like him. And his acting abilities are highly debatable.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I'm excited to see how Ashton works out. It looks good, judging from the trailer.

The fanboys wouldn't be satisfied with the acting even if Steve rose from the dead to play the role :rolleyes:

KiiD

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
just curious

The movie looks horrible but you have to respect that he had a passion for the project.

Or it's just a distraction to help build up interest.

just wondering why do you think this movie looks horrible? im a real big fan of Jobs (The Man, not the movie (yet).) so i was wondering what makes this movie a bad one.?:confused:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I think Kutcher is a better actor than many people want to admit. He was very funny and believable in "That 70s Show," for instance, and he's managed to keep "Three and Half Men" alive when everyone felt the departure of Charlie Sheen would doom the show.

OK, he's no Marlon Brando. But acting is a very difficult craft, and he does it admirably.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I'm excited to see how Ashton works out. It looks good, judging from the trailer.

The fanboys wouldn't be satisfied with the acting even if Steve rose from the dead to play the role :rolleyes:

That and some makeup and I'm plenty satisfied. Although I was already happy to watch it even with Ashton as SJ.

Larsonator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
From what I've seen in the previews, Kutcher was a damn good choice for the role. For all of you guys bashing him for being a terrible actor, please suggest who you think would be better.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Ashton Kutcher on Why He Chose to Play Steve Jobs

1. Blah, blah, blah

2. Blah, blah, blah

3. Blah, blah, blah

4. Blah, blah, blah

5. The money.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
I think Kutcher is a better actor than many people want to admit. He was very funny and believable in "That 70s Show," for instance, and he's managed to keep "Three and Half Men" alive when everyone felt the departure of Charlie Sheen would doom the show.

OK, he's no Marlon Brando. But acting is a very difficult craft, and he does it admirably.

I can't take Ashton Kutcher seriously though. Whenever I see him acting I always see Michael Kelso.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
From what I've seen in the previews, Kutcher was a damn good choice for the role. For all of you guys bashing him for being a terrible actor, please suggest who you think would be better.

Javier Bardem. Although, maybe I'm thinking of an entirely different kind of movie. ;)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I can't take Ashton Kutcher seriously though. Whenever I see him acting I always see Michael Kelso.

Damn... That 70's Show must have had a major impact on you... it's been off the air for 7 years... ;)

I guess Kelso stands the test of time!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Probably because he thought it would make him look artsy. He obviously doesn't need the money.

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
It's a small budget indie film, I doubt he made all that much for the role compared to his other previous acting gigs.

It might be a small budget indie film, but he's smart. His contract may be on percentage of gross sales, etc. Like him or hate him, bad film or good film, this movie is going to rake in money.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Javier Bardem. Although, maybe I'm thinking of an entirely different kind of movie. ;)

bill_gates_1990.jpg
nocountry2.jpg

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
You know what? i can just about stand Kutcher playing Jobs. My biggest issue is with the complete useless turd they chose for Steve Wozniak. In fact the choice is so bad, feel insulted for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.