Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
4. I loved what the film stands for. I think with the state of the global economy inspiring young people to build things is vital. I wanted to remind entrepreneurs that Steve Jobs wasn't always "Steve Jobs", that he struggled, that he failed, and that he rigorously persevered to build something great

i love this. kudos for the reminder...

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Can't wait to watch it, secretly love it, then get on MacRumors and bitch about it.

That is hilarious, people always have something to bitch about.

The fanboys wouldn't be satisfied with the acting even if Steve rose from the dead to play the role :rolleyes:

I have to agree, I can't really see anyone else playing the role where everyone would be satisfied.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I guarantee you it'll be better then Pirates of the Silicon Valley and I think he's a totally acceptable actor, it usually depends on what and who he's playing.

Is he going to be winning any major awards anytime soon? Probably not but he's still better then a lot of actors out there who are in far more movies for no reason.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ashton Kutcher on Why He Chose to Play Steve Jobs

1. Blah, blah, blah

2. Blah, blah, blah

3. Blah, blah, blah

4. Blah, blah, blah

5. The money.
Except it was already well established that is a low budget indie film, as you already know from reading the post just up from yours.

So no. It wasn't about the money.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I don't get all this hate towards Kutcher. Yes, some of his early roles are silly and stupid, but he has done some decent work as well.
I will definitely see this movie and judging from the trailer it will be a pleasure to watch. Can't wait!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I guarantee you it'll be better then Pirates of the Silicon Valley and I think he's a totally acceptable actor, it usually depends on what and who he's playing.

Is he going to be winning any major awards anytime soon? Probably not but he's still better then a lot of actors out there who are in far more movies for no reason.

I think I agree. I love POSV however its had its time. It too was a low budget film (as evidence by the terrible Balmer Bald Cap), however from the looks of the trailer Jobs goes into a lot more detail instead of skipping over huge parts of the story.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
"I care. As I read the script I had a knot in my stomach. I imagined actors playing the role and not connecting to the love that went into some of the irrational decisions that Steve sometimes seemingly made. If this film becomes an enduring memory, of a man I admire, I wanted to ensure that it was portrayed by someone who cared about his legacy and took the time to represent him in a way that people who were close to Steve felt to be authentic". Source: http://www.quora.com/Jobs-2013-movi...ming-movie-Jobs/answer/Ashton-Kutcher?share=1

Seeing this new trailer, and reading the above, makes me want to see this movie even more.

I think Kutcher is a better actor than many people want to admit. He was very funny and believable in "That 70s Show," for instance, and he's managed to keep "Three and Half Men" alive when everyone felt the departure of Charlie Sheen would doom the show.
OK, he's no Marlon Brando. But acting is a very difficult craft, and he does it admirably.

It's Two-and-a-half-men, but who's arguing. I agree! That sitcom, while building on the past, has gone in a fresh new direction, and it's arguably better now, than with Charlie.

1. Blah, blah, blah

2. Blah, blah, blah

3. Blah, blah, blah

4. Blah, blah, blah

5. The money.

I doubt that. He's not exactly a starving actor, and can afford to be a little more picky about what he accepts or turns down. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes more money off a few episodes of Two-and-a-half-men, than he does off this movie.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
bill_gates_1990.jpg
nocountry2.jpg

That image makes me want to launch a kickstarter for this!

No Country for PC People. Works on a lot of levels. :D

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
You know what? i can just about stand Kutcher playing Jobs. My biggest issue is with the complete useless turd they chose for Steve Wozniak. In fact the choice is so bad, feel insulted for him.

I whole heartedly agree. Kutcher as Jobs is probably fine. The portrayal of Woz seems to have been crafted by someone who's never even seen or heard him.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not going to waste time reading this because it is an absolute honour to be considered for this role. Any person that said no is a fool. That said, I think he looks like Steve but the voice is off and it bothers the hell out of me. Not looking forward to the film

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The portrayal of Woz seems to have been crafted by someone who's never even seen or heard him.
I disagree. I think that casting Jack Black as Woz adds some much-needed comic relief that could make this movie into a blockbuster.

kdarling

macrumors P6
just wondering why do you think this movie looks horrible? im a real big fan of Jobs (The Man, not the movie (yet).) so i was wondering what makes this movie a bad one.?:confused:

Because it's "inspired by true events", which means they're going to take ridiculous liberties with the truth.

For example, in their first trailer they showed Wozniak just building the Apple I, and yet Jobs is magically already talking about WYSIWYG applications, which he would've had no clue about at the time.

I mean, pump up the personalities if you want, but leave technical history alone.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Because it's "inspired by true events", which means they're going to take ridiculous liberties with the truth.
They always do. Even Spielberg changed up stuff in "Lincoln". It's not a documentary, it's a movie.

"Pirates of Silicon Valley" was so over the top it was hilarious. Yes, they will take "ridiculous liberties" with this one also as you said. If you want a documentary watch "Triumph of the Nerds" and some of the many other actual Steve videos online. There's plenty of them.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Not posting as an Apple fanboy, but as a movie fanboy. This movie looks terrible, and I don't usually blame the actors. I blame the producers and director.

At least ring up Chris Nolan or the Coens before settling for this...

Back to watching Inglourious Basterds

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

1. Blah, blah, blah

2. Blah, blah, blah

3. Blah, blah, blah

4. Blah, blah, blah

5. The money.

Let me be the first to say, it is an indie movie.

Except it was already well established that is a low budget indie film, as you already know from reading the post just up from yours.

So no. It wasn't about the money.

I doubt that. He's not exactly a starving actor, and can afford to be a little more picky about what he accepts or turns down. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes more money off a few episodes of Two-and-a-half-men, than he does off this movie.

It's an indie movie.....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

For example, in their first trailer they showed Wozniak just building the Apple I, and yet Jobs is magically already talking about WYSIWYG applications, which he would've had no clue about at the time.

I mean, pump up the personalities if you want, but leave technical history alone.

Welcome to my world. If you're interested in history at all, the vast majority of Hollywood films "based on a true story" are going to make you cringe becasue they are essentially a total fiction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.