Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello everyone.

I have an opportunity to purchase a dirt cheap iPhone 4S with a small crack on the bezel (still works fine). I plan in fixing it and making a few bucks, however I don't know if I should change the back glass too and make it a black iPhone, or just switch out the LCD/digitizer and keep it white.

Which one is more valuable? The difference for parts will only be around $8 so that's not big deal.

Thanks!

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
That's what I was junking. Plus I love black phones. I see whites going for ~$300 so if I can get like $200-$250 ill be happy

Anyone else have any input?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'd keep it whatever color it was suppose to be. I like black better, but the white iPhone has a white dock connecter and unless you are planning on changing it out, it's not going to look like a real black iPhone.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd keep it whatever color it was suppose to be. I like black better, but the white iPhone has a white dock connecter and unless you are planning on changing it out, it's not going to look like a real black iPhone.

Agreed, keep it the original color.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've been reselling phones for years and white iPhones historically have always had higher resale value than the black ones for some reason. Not exactly sure why.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Used to work at my uncle's cell phone shop. The white iPhone's were always easier to sell and with higher resale values.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
For an iPhone 4 or 4S on Craigslist Vancouver, white is worth about $50 more.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
So as I'm taking the screen off I realize that the power button is stuck.

Anyone know what I can do? I took the button out but I don't see anything causing a problem

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I resell phones on Craigslist and in my experience, the white iPhone is more popular and in more demand then the black one.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
without any scientific data to back this up, i would say that males are more likely to fish for second hand gadgets.

therefore, black.
You are right about the scientific data not backing it up because it doesn't really ring true. I would say neither colour is gender selective based on my experience. I am male and own a white iPhone 5. Many of my friends had the white iP5 because they had black ones last time around.

Your comment inspired me to visit our sales manager at work this morning as I know our sales team use iPhones and iPads. In December everyone upgraded to the iP5 and we have 37 sales men and women. Out of that 37 only 6 of them went for the black version. Two of those were women and the other 4 were men. That seems to back up your theory to that point, but out of the remaining 31 we have left, only 9 are women. That means in this selective example we had 22 men out of the 26 males we employ who chose the white iPhone 5 lol.

In my social and working life, the white version is more popular. We all have different situations and I think its fair to say neither colour is desired selectively by males or females. They are pretty neutral. :)

sammieboy

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I resell phones on Craigslist and in my experience, the white iPhone is more popular and in more demand then the black one.

I just sold my 2 year old iPhone 4S, WHITE, 64gb, for $400 on Craigslist. Had about 20 text messages within the first 20 minutes of posting the ad. Easy money. WHITEY TIGHTEY for the win.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I've bought a few iphones off of craigslist and I can say that white iphones are much harder to comeby and typically re-sell at a higher price than black iPhones typically go for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.