Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random14

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Hello I have a 2010 27" iMac, and the Applecare is about to end in a month or two so I'm somewhat nervous something will pop up. Especially when my computer just suddenly froze up and there was this strange clicking sound from the left side of the screen, opposite from where the DVD drive is. I had to press the power button to turn off my computer though it started back up normally.

I used to have this problem, was never sure if this was a hardware or a software problem (usually happened when I was streaming something, but I watch a lot of streaming stuff so was never sure if it was coincidence or not). I also already had my hard drive replaced under that Seagate replacement program, and haven't had that frozen computer/strange sound problem since... until now. My hard drive can't fail again that quickly, can it?

I've searched around but never quite sure what matches my computer's symptoms. I've checked Disk Utility and verify disk didn't turn up any problems. I'm going to go update my backup and then try the Apple Hardware test later, any hints would be helpful, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.