Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdude66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

I like the conversation view in Mail.app a lot. The one thing I'm missing is being able to delete the whole conversation at once, *including* my own sent messages.

If I click on the conversation and press delete, it deletes all the received messages in the conversation but leaves my own sent messages in the sent folder. There's no way to select multiple messages in conversation view with SHIFT or CMD.

Does anyone know how to delete a whole conversation including own sent messages?

Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know but I would love this feature as well. Because I use gmail I usually go to the web interface, search by the name of the other person I was e-mailing and then delete that way.
It's a pain but I do it.

rimi

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Looking for a solution to the same problem. I think it is very lame that Mail behaves the way it does. Why would you want to keep all sent messages but delete all received ones? I keep reading email on Mail and then go to Gmail to delete the entire conversation. So inefficient!

Let's keep digging a solution for this annoyance.

marcelocarlosbr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Exactly, that's the only issue stopping me from using Mail.

This behaviour doesn't make any sense! I sent emails do apple's support and posted in other forums about it. But apparently, not many people is worried about this problem, or they simply haven't noticed yet.

It's a shame. I hope they change this soon.

kiwiSwede69

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Hi,

I like the conversation view in Mail.app a lot. The one thing I'm missing is being able to delete the whole conversation at once, *including* my own sent messages.

Thanks!

As a workaround, you can create a smart mailbox in Apple Mail called say "Inbox+Sent" that contains the union of your Inbox and Sent mailboxes.

Then if you are viewing conversations in the Inbox+Sent mailbox, and you delete a conversation, all the corresponding messages from the Inbox and Sent folders will be deleted.

NasserAE

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
Hi,

If I click on the conversation and press delete, it deletes all the received messages in the conversation but leaves my own sent messages in the sent folder. There's no way to select multiple messages in conversation view with SHIFT or CMD.

Does anyone know how to delete a whole conversation including own sent messages?

Thanks!

In Mail go to View - Expand All Conversations. This will show all messages sent and received in the list. Select them all and delete.

alain.molimard

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
Well, you can expand the conversation you want to delete (using the arrow beside the number of item in conversation) then select the main message (top of conversation) and hit the delete key!

Voila.

Cheers

Alain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.