Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpg
According to AllThingsD, a production ramp up of the next generation iPhone should begin around the end of this month, confirming a recent report from Jefferies' Peter Misek.

Misek believes that Apple started small batch production of the iPhone 5S last month, but with the company now gearing up for mass production, it appears to be making final preparations for a launch later this year.

A report from earlier today suggested that iPhone 5S supplies will be constrained at launch, as it is with many new Apple product releases, perhaps because of low yields on a new fingerprint sensor that is expected in the device.

Some iPhone 5S prototypes have previously leaked, showcasing features such as a dual-LED flash and a slightly larger battery, as well as an A7 chip. Misek, for his part, believes that the 5S production ramp is in addition to one that's in progress for the rumored lower-cost iPhone. From AllThingsD:
Interestingly, Misek says that iPhone production ramp up will follow one that's already under way for Apple's long-rumored lower-cost iPhone, a device he figures the company will price somewhere between $300 and $400 -- without a subsidy. He estimates production plans at 25 million to 30 million units, split pretty much evenly across the 5s and its new lower-cost sibling. And he says the new entry probably won't be competitive with the truly low-end handsets popular in emerging markets.
Last year, at roughly this same point in the July, we saw similar reports of increased production ahead of the release of the iPhone 5.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Production Will Reportedly Begin Later This Month

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The only way I see them bringing in a new low cost iphone is if they immediately discontinue previous year iphones when the new one is released. Then those phones have to be supported in iOS updates for less time because they're on sale for fewer years.

I imagine they'll have some kind of greatest common denominator SoC platform that fits their ipod touch, apple tv, ipad mini and cheap iphone offerings and their A_ and A_x offerings for their new products.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
And?

It's pretty much the same phone as the current 5, with a different camera and some other gimmick feature.

This strategy of releasing a re-hash phone every other year will do nothing to boost sales and stop the marketshare bleeding.

:apple:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
It's the year of software I guess for the iPhone with iOS 7,
Hardware side will probably the usual thing with fast processor, etc

Really interested to know how the fingerprint thing implements on the iphone.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
If it's the same form factor as the 5 then it looks like I'll be holding on to my 4s for another year. The elongated screen just doesn't do it for me. Crucify me all you want but I want a bigger screen.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
It's pretty much the same phone as the current 5, with a different camera and some other gimmick feature.

This strategy of releasing a re-hash phone every other year will do nothing to boost sales and stop the marketshare bleeding.

There's nothing wrong with that strategy. Coming out with a radically redesigned phone every year doesn't make sense.

What else does the iPhone really need right now? ...

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
If it's the same form factor as the 5 then it looks like I'll be holding on to my 4s for another year. The elongated screen just doesn't do it for me. Crucify me all you want but I want a bigger screen.

You would be surprised how ancient the 3.5" screen feels after using the iPhone 5.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
And?

It's pretty much a stupid comment when you judge a product without seeing it, knowing what it has, or knowing what it does.

This strategy of commenting makes you look ridiculous and will do nothing to stop making you look foolish in front of thousands.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
And?

Umm, no it isn't the same phone. It's the same casing but the internal is almost always updated to take advantage of the latest technologies. That's why they're calling it iPhone 5S and not iPhone 6. It's a refresh of iPhone 5 with new internal chips to be faster, cooler, and possible better battery life as well. It is more likely to include new technologies that iPhone 5 won't have such as the 120FPS Camera and Fingerprint Sensor that are rumored here.

I don't understand your problem with this. It is virtually impossible to overhaul and release new products every year. No companies does this continuously on the planet.

Even Samsung has got hit hard with their Galaxy S5 because it was mostly a rehashed of S4 with extra gimmick features.

You're not making any sense. Elongated screen = bigger screen, it's not stretched out, very pixels is being used on the taller screen and you do get more information from 4" compared to the shorter 3" screen.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The only way I see them bringing in a new low cost iphone is if they immediately discontinue previous year iphones when the new one is released. Then those phones have to be supported in iOS updates for less time because they're on sale for fewer years.

I imagine they'll have some kind of greatest common denominator SoC platform that fits their ipod touch, apple tv, ipad mini and cheap iphone offerings and their A_ and A_x offerings for their new products.

There has been a lot of speculation on this, but it make sense to me that they retire the 4S and prior models since they are 30pin connectors. By releasing a 5S and keeping the 5 they were still without the phone at the free (with contract) level on the new connector. So coming out with a low priced phone makes sense for the emerging market and even for the US market. Now everyone can retire their 30 pin connectors and accessories accoss the entire spectrum of idevices. Seems straight forward to me at least.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It says the lower cost iPhone has been in production for longer. Will they give it a separate launch so that it doesn't overshadow the 5S?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
And?

Embrace, the fanboys will be all over you. I said something along those lines in the other thread and I had two of them on my throat... Heaven forbid Apple does anything wrong.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Embrace, the fanboys will be all over you. I said something along those lines in the other thread and I had two of them on my throat... Heaven forbid Apple does anything wrong.

Because such a statement makes no sense. What is Apple doing wrong here?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
So many of you are not going to wait for any bugs that may need fix?

So here's the thing. We are looking at (in the USA at least), a totally revamped OS, a slew of new plans and options from the carriers, and new hardware (same, cheap, colors, fingerprint, whatever). All these things hitting approximately at the same time as all the 4S contracts expire. So users will have a lot to think about. You are right that with a new OS, there are bugs that will no doubt be introduced. But I suspect that there is so much to get the average non techy's head to wrap around that bugs is not going to play the major factor here.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
You're not making any sense. Elongated screen = bigger screen, it's not stretched out, very pixels is being used on the taller screen and you do get more information from 4" compared to the shorter 3" screen.

Thank you for nitpicking my post. I apologize for not adding the qualifier "proportionately" to my statement. I get that there are more pixels on the 5 than the 4s and I get that it's technically "bigger" but I just don't like the proportions.

You can like it all you want, and the sales numbers show that lot's of people do, but after fiddling with a friend's 5 I don't really care for it.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles

It's a phone, what more do you want? It can still improve, but you're not going to get a DSLR quality camera on it, or be able to run a render farm either. Phones are improving all the time.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
It's a phone, what more do you want? It can still improve, but you're not going to get a DSLR quality camera on it, or be able to run a render farm either. Phones are improving all the time.

ignore him. When samsung or any other manufacturer does the same thing he uses your excuse. When Apple does it, he calls them rehashed and stagnating.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

The release of the iPhone 4 re-hashed 4S did boost iPhone sales quite a bit, but did not stop the marketshare bleeding of iPhone competitors RIM and Nokia. Not too much different about the rumored 5S re-hash, so I would not be surprised to see history repeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.