Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
TL;DR- Can I buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-Video-Card-for-Apple-Mac-Pro/140952407495 plug it into a MacPro5,1 (2010 12-core), and it'll Just Work?

There are doubtless 101 threads on this very topic so I apologize for the info request, but skimming through them I haven't found too much clarity.

I've got a 2010 12-core Mac Pro. The Radeon 5870 it came with is slowly dying, or not... which is the tricky part. There's nothing wrong with it, but the fan has been getting steadily louder and louder to the point where it's really annoying me and I'm thinking of doing something simple like pulling it out, tossing it in the trash, and slotting in another card.

The card has no functional problems, the fan is just getting ****--g loud and annoying.

It's still under warranty. But... I am not dragging the entire Mac Pro to an Apple store so some "genius" can look at it, conclude there's nothing wrong, and then dragging it back home.

To repeat, the card word fine, the fan is becoming super-loud and annoying. I'd like to just replace it.

Now then ... with what?

I really, really, really am not buying another Radeon 5870 from Apple, and giving them $500 for a card that's 4 year old tech.

I'd like to buy a 7970.

Will it Just Work?

I'm reading this thread, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505726/ which goes on, and on, and on, and on ... with point, counter-point, ranting, and overall lack of clarity.

Will a Radeon 7970 work in a 2010 Mac Pro? If so, could someone please give me a link -- either here or through PM -- as to what version/model, and where I could buy it?

Thanks for your time, and my apologies if this particular question has been answered elsewhere, all I find is the very long thread I linked above, which is a large collection of people ranting without any particular consensus that I can see by just skimming it.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
7970 requires and external Power Supply, it uses 8pin +6pin for power.
Get a 7950 or GTX 680, they both use 6pin + 6pin power

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
7970 requires and external Power Supply, it uses 8pin +6pin for power.
Get a 7950 or GTX 680, they both use 6pin + 6pin power

I got a 7970 from macvidcards. It runs on internal power in my MP3,1. Yes it has 8pin+6pin for power. It came with the proper adapters. If you look at the power reqs of the 7970 it is will within the limits.

K15

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
I use the Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz Edition Card w/ 6G's.

It has twin 8 pin for power. I drive it on a separate 450 power supply.

It takes everything I throw at it.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Sigh, I guess I knew it was coming.

So let me look into my crystal ball and figure out the next few replies.

• Works perfect! Card comes with 8-6 pin convertor.
  • No it doesn't! Requires external power supply.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the 7950 seems to hover between meh, and mediocre.

FWIW the box it's going into is loaded with:

RAID0 HDD stripe across 4 3.5" drive bays.
Optical drive pulled out, 2 additional slots powering 2 * SSDs in RAID0

Other than graphics card, box also has: USB3 card, ATTO RAID controller, and Accelsior_E2 PCI SSD.

Last edited:

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks very much for everyone who replied to me, especially all those who took the time to do so in PMs.

After actually reading every single message I could in the endless rant thread with regards to the 7970, my understanding amounts to:

It'll work / It won't work / It may work for a while but when you stress it too much and it pulls more power, it'll fry your Mac Pro! / You're an idiot! / No, YOU are an idiot AND probably a liar.

Okay, so then, I'll get an external PSU for the card. Then it'll be totally fine! Except, no, it may not be, because who knows if the traces can withstand more power! / You're wrong / You're an idiot! / Are you blind as well as stupid? ...just read my interpretation of the specs! / Goto 1.

I get the overall impression that I could buy a flashed card, plug it in, and probably it'll be fine, but... who knows. It's extraordinarily difficult to pull any of those, what're they called again, oh, yeah, right, facts ... out of the many pages of contradictory opinions, all stated with great authority and belief in what the author is writing.

I realized that what I'm doing is too similar to finding the optimal components to build a Hackintosh ('cept that contains a lot more clarity), remembered that I use Mac Pros because I want to use the computer to perform work, not sit there screwing around with it endlessly and diagnosing weird problems, and ... just ended up purchasing a GTX 680 Mac Edition, the end.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

marbeljoyce

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
Choosing GPU for os x is a mess, you did the right thing by going official way.
Nobody here can answer anything solid, it is all guestimation, and if someone has knowledge it usually gaming performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.