Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg highlights a new report from Taiwan's Commercial Times claiming that Apple may be pushing back the launch of the iPhone 5S to the end of this year in order to increase the size of the device's display from the current 4 inches to 4.3 inches.
Apple Inc. (AAPL) may delay the introduction of the iPhone 5S until the end of the year after the design was changed to feature a bigger 4.3-inch retina display screen, the Commercial Times reported.

The company previously scheduled the release for September or October, the Taiwanese newspaper reported, citing unidentified people in the semiconductor industry. Takashi Takebayashi, a spokesman for Apple in Tokyo, wasn't immediately available to comment to Bloomberg News.
The claim is highly unlikely to be true, as Apple undoubtedly finalized the designed of the iPhone 5S months ago and the company will reportedly begin mass production later this month. Regardless, the fact that the report was picked up by Bloomberg is giving it wide visibility.

iphone_5_5s_display_assembly_large_2.jpg
A number of reports have also indicated that the iPhone 5S will look largely identical to the iPhone 5, as seen in a prototype device manufactured last December. Photos of display assemblies claimed to be for the iPhone 5S have also surfaced, with those parts appearing nearly identical to the corresponding iPhone 5 parts with the exception of a change in orientation of the flex cable connectors that is compatible with the logic board layout from the prototype iPhone 5S.

Article Link: Sketchy Report Claims iPhone 5S Delayed Until Late 2013 Over Switch to 4.3-Inch Display

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I read this early this morning. Like the fingerprint scanner, I feel as though it is stupid to cite delays in manufacturing because of a feature on a phone that hasn't even been announced. Anyone can say the phone may be delayed for any reason, such as, the pink elephants and unicorns aren't sitting still enough to take a photo of them to create the stock iPhone 5S wallpaper image.

I mean really.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm calling shenanigans.

So am I. What they saw if anything was a prototype either for the 6 series or from the 5 that was rejected.

Apple would not be changing things this late in the game.

I suppose it is possible that Apple might skip a '5S' and yes this new size could be legit. But still not a change. They would have decided this ages ago.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I could see a bigger iPhone but only along with the current 4" one, not replacing it. It's not typical of Apple to change form factors after just one year. And 4.3" isn't much bigger either.

Alfred.Woodden

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norway
If anything, the report has confused the iPhone 5S screen size with the rumored bigger iPhone 6 screen size. If anything...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Bull. No way they are gonna redesign completely in one year.

Never say that. They could have been planning this new size for a while but something wasn't quite ready for it so the 5 was a mid point. And yes whatever that thing was it could be there now.

Remember Apple does what they want, when they want. Even if it means changing up they always did. Like how OS updates are ALWAYS 2-3 years apart. iPhones are ALWAYS in early summer, iPads are ALWAYS in March-ish

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The claim is highly unlikely to be true, as Apple undoubtedly finalized the designed of the iPhone 5S months ago and the company will reportedly begin mass production later this month. Regardless, the fact that the report was picked up by Bloomberg is giving it wide visibility.

Ok, so why make this front page news if you're putting in this disclaimer? How many people (and other sites) just read the headline and never see the disclaimer? :confused:

I think it's laughable that Bloomberg is even reporting this. It doesn't seem the least bit credible. But earnings release is next week so not totally surprising. I'm sure we'll see plenty of other nonsense to drive the stock price down between now and then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.