Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Lets see, so far this year i.have had an htc one x+, note 2, htc one, and lg og pro along with my iphone 5. I will probably get either the note 3 or htc one max later in the year and of course the next iphone.

I enjoy trying these different handsets and using them day to day. And when i get bored i sell them for at least $300. I have 11 lines, and only 4 of them need tovuse their upgrades, so i have 7 lines that i use for my upgrades, one about every 3 or 4 months.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I find the last line in the bb cons pretty ridiculous "all display models at carrier were buggy". I guess I need to go to my Carrier to see if they have the display unit of the handset I am using and if it is buggy then claim a handset replacement because "all your display models are buggy, who cares about the device in my hand?".

However, your own phone being buggy is understandable point.

Sunsenista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hong-Kong
To just make a point i went to 3 carrier in HK, and for 3 of them about BB Z10 all phone get some troubles about screen and software bug.
Definitely not gonna help blackberry to sales in Hong-Kong which is a huge market for professional device.

To me, i just compare the 2 phones IP5 and S4 when i launch an app, the launch is more quick on iPhone.

Also one point all IP5 get update all around the world at the same time when,
for android for OTA you need to wait a long time from place to place still not get an update after 2 months that an update of lag was rolling out in some region.
For Blackberry it's worst than that need to wait the carrier is doing it so can be months before get it especially in some special market ( Asia).

Why i'm back to IP5, that's simple:

- In Itunes spent a lot of money for apps
- Integration with my iMac, Macbook Air
- Photo taken look crisp and very good quality ( BB Q10 photos were so bad quality)
- New IOS 7 sounds promising
- Type and use the phone with one hand is very handy to me, i tried to type on the s4 with one hand and it just gets me to type some mistake cause my thumb will touch other key.
- Something to not forget the resell value of Iphone after 1 years to 2 years of use is not the same as for android or BB

Btw people think it's maybe stupid to change so much phones in a one year time but until you find out what you really like you need to try.

Actually now own two phones
-IP5
-Xiaomi 2S for me best value for money for android phone and as much as powerful as HTC one or S4 but for just less than half the price.

But i'm still very into IP5 and won't look for IP5S maybe IP6 will see what apple will bring to us.

I like to share idea and debate on people thinking so thanks to people who keep give their idea and not just complain!

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Would you keep the iPhone if you didn't have a Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I've had a similar experience as the OP. returned my HTC One Google Play Edition to Google today.

As much as I liked the hardware it was a bit heavy and the buttons were awful to press.

I was VERY surprised that I experienced lag and stuttering and scrolling that was not as smooth as iPhone. Apps that I use daily just weren't as good. Now these things are not huge huge problems. That's why I think some others don't notice. But I definitely notice compared to iPhone.

I think some of it is because the HTC One wasn't designed to work with stock android. I don't remember noticing it that much on my Nexus 4.

Oh well ill try the next Nexus this fall. If not then its on with the iPhone.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Why i'm back to IP5, that's simple:

- In Itunes spent a lot of money for apps
- Integration with my iMac, Macbook Air
- Photo taken look crisp and very good quality ( BB Q10 photos were so bad quality)
- New IOS 7 sounds promising
- Type and use the phone with one hand is very handy to me, i tried to type on the s4 with one hand and it just gets me to type some mistake cause my thumb will touch other key.
- Something to not forget the resell value of Iphone after 1 years to 2 years of use is not the same as for android or BB
In other words, you are too invested in the Apple ecosystem to try something you are, at best, unfamiliar with.

I feel better when I have to find out the hard way what works, what doesn't, how to make them work, rather than have Cupertino CA do everything for me - and, consequently, lower my IQ by several points. "Oh, it just works!" - no, it doesn't.

----------

I really don't understand how some are experiencing "lag" on these new devices.

I've had the Galaxy Note II for about 6 months and not once have I experience lag.
I've experienced lag on my S4. That said, I use things with the expectation that "it doesn't work as expected" rather than "It just works.(TM)". :p

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I find it weird that people feel the need to come into threads and get all judgmental and interject their opinions on what other people do with their own money.

Go ahead...judge me. 3 or 4 phones in a year? How about the fact that I own 4 phones RIGHT NOW? That must just blow your mind! iPhone 5, Note 2, LG OG, and I sold my HTC One yesterday and bought a S4.

How's them apples?

Bingo. I have three devices right now.

One still hasn't sold though :(

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I enjoy having choices and can easily afford multiple active smartphones. It's fun to use different platforms concurrently, as well as having invaluable first hand experience. I've been a mobile / smartphone enthusiast for several years, the progress in this sector has been amazing.

You find out really quickly what kind of "stories" the haters are telling to bash the competition, when you have the exact phone they are bitching about. Especially this latest crop of top line Androids. They are fast, lag free and super easy to compose text and emails on due to the great keyboard choices like Swype and SwiftKey.

In fact that's the main drawback when I'm using my iPhone 5 is that it's back to hammering away on the glass while typing. The swiping motion of the state of the art Android keyboards has to be experienced to be appreciated. It's a shame that Apple won't approve a Swype style keyboard for the iPhone. At least thus far. Who knows at some point they may wake up and realize the limitations they are placing on their customers. Or not. :D

Sunsenista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hong-Kong
Would you keep the iPhone if you didn't have a Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well,to be realistic I grow up into an apple environment since little kid then move to pc in my teenage time for games on computer but then with vista, with two PC laptop dead after a year and with vista bugs, I just go back to Mac and never looked back.
And it was before I used iPhone (I started at 3GS).

My business laptop is a pc and I'm getting really hard now to use it. Actually getting dust:)

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Well,to be realistic I grow up into an apple environment since little kid then move to pc in my teenage time for games on computer but then with vista, with two PC laptop dead after a year and with vista bugs, I just go back to Mac and never looked back.
And it was before I used iPhone (I started at 3GS).

My business laptop is a pc and I'm getting really hard now to use it. Actually getting dust:)
My previous PC is a gaming desktop running Vista 64-bit, heh, what bugs?

Sunsenista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hong-Kong
I got an Asus in 2007/08 > after a year the screen went down with vista you can easily after 4 5 months get a boot about 15minutes sometimes have some game lag and computer lag as some software just open by themselves without your own decision and so on.. I'm just allergic to pc.
Recently my HP work laptop on windows 7 > can't connect my network..
And so on just when you experience too much troubles you look for something else and in the past 5 years Mac really suit me for what I need to do and also to get my ecosystem relevant.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
zxwBqUc.png

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I got an Asus in 2007/08 > after a year the screen went down with vista you can easily after 4 5 months get a boot about 15minutes sometimes have some game lag and computer lag as some software just open by themselves without your own decision and so on.. I'm just allergic to pc.
Recently my HP work laptop on windows 7 > can't connect my network..
And so on just when you experience too much troubles you look for something else and in the past 5 years Mac really suit me for what I need to do and also to get my ecosystem relevant.
Software do not open by themselves, they need to first be enabled with some sort of user input. Sounds like user error or virus/trojan to me.

"can't connect my network" - not a PC-specific issue. Macs can have it too. At one point my iBook G4 would routinely LOSE its network connection while completely idle, and I know my networks had nothing to do with it as the router stayed on at all times.

Attachments

• appleadsystemerror.jpg
    appleadsystemerror.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 83

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I just picked up a mint condition Z10 sim unlocked for €200 off ebay :) for that price I don't mind messing :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really don't understand how some are experiencing "lag" on these new devices.

I've had the Galaxy Note II for about 6 months and not once have I experience lag.

lag can be different to everyone. Why you may not notice lag on your note 2, if you were to put it side by side with a nexus 4 and do little things like go into the app drawer, pull down quick toggles, or go to settings you would notice a difference. The note 2 is definitely smooth, but if you have it next to a phone that truly is buttery smooth you notice a small difference. It is just the reality of carrier skins. the ONE is the only carrier skin ATM that is as smooth as stock.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tell us how you like it :)

I see a few here for under $200. Very tempting

Yeah must admit had it not been bargain price (it cost the seller €599!!! - they included the original receipt) I would never have bought it, but at this price heck even if it ends up just being used as an MP3 player, it's a bargain :D

When I played with one before it was lack of app store content that was biggest killer, but like I say that's when I was considering spending premium money on it, at this price I can excuse a lot of things that stopped me keeping one on my last hands on with the device.

I will shoot some photos when it comes too, to compare with the one etc.... :)

Yousefarman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Chicago Illinois
I Recently switched from an Iphone5 to a Galaxy s4 ( 2 weeks to be exact) and I understand what you guys are talking about in reference to the lag. Quad core or not, all this bloatware that Samsung/HTC/Motorola add to these premium devices cause them to lag significantly if you are a heavy user. Once i rooted my device, and put an AOSP based rom with very little bloatware, it as smooth as my old iPhone, if not smoother :D

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
lag can be different to everyone. Why you may not notice lag on your note 2, if you were to put it side by side with a nexus 4 and do little things like go into the app drawer, pull down quick toggles, or go to settings you would notice a difference. The note 2 is definitely smooth, but if you have it next to a phone that truly is buttery smooth you notice a small difference. It is just the reality of carrier skins. the ONE is the only carrier skin ATM that is as smooth as stock.

And that's the point: If I don't notice lag, it doesn't bother me.
I don't care, if any other device is a tad smoother than my S4, because I do not use another device at the same time to compare it.
But to each their own.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
And that's the point: If I don't notice lag, it doesn't bother me.
I don't care, if any other device is a tad smoother than my S4, because I do not use another device at the same time to compare it.
But to each their own.

I was agreeing :). When I had a note 2 I didn't think it was laggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.