Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
How do i put my I5 in to DFU mode?
i have looked everywhere, infect in past i have put my all iphone in DFU mode for atlest 25 times. but somehow i am not able to put my I5 in DFU. it goes to recovery mode, but not in to DFU. is there any trick ?
thanks..
i am planning to put iOS7, but i get some weired error..first it gave me (-1) error and now its giving (3194) error..

so , i thought i shoud try putting in to DFU and then restore iOS7.

am i doing correct ??
couple weeks back i did manage to put iOS7 without going thru DFU. but some of the app start giving me some troubles and so i thought restoring 7 again.

currently i have fresh 6.4.1 and wanna do 7 again.
Also, i dont have developer account. it should be okay..right ?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
DFU Mode: This mode allows you to downgrade the device's iOS because it bypasses the iBoot (bootloader) process. The iBoot agent is not running during DFU mode.
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your system.
- Press and hold the "Home" button and the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button at the same time.
- Exactly after 10 seconds release the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button but continue holding the "Home" button until iTunes pops up a message informing you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Your screen should be blank and not show connect to iTunes.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
DFU Mode: This mode allows you to downgrade the device's iOS because it bypasses the iBoot (bootloader) process. The iBoot agent is not running during DFU mode.
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your system.
- Press and hold the "Home" button and the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button at the same time.
- Exactly after 10 seconds release the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button but continue holding the "Home" button until iTunes pops up a message informing you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Your screen should be blank and not show connect to iTunes.

Thank you,
But would i be able to upgrade from 6.1.4 to 7? i had 7 before and now i have downgraded to 6.1.4 and now i want to go back 7

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Thank you,
But would i be able to upgrade from 6.1.4 to 7? i had 7 before and now i have downgraded to 6.1.4 and now i want to go back 7

Yes you can, I found that no DFU is needed, but it's up to you.

EDIT: I didn't read this part from your original post "Also, i dont have developer account. it should be okay..right ?" You should stay in iOS6, there's no way to guarantee that you wont have any problems and I think it goes against the forum rules to discuss that.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
1. Putting iPhone 5 into DFU mode is the same as for all previous iPhones. If it is not going into DFU mode properly, you are doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your USB cable, your computer, or your phone's hardware.

2. In order to restore to iOS 7, you need to be a registered developer, or your device's UDID need to be registered with a developer's account. There is a workaround for this, but it's not allowed to discuss it in this forum.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
1. Putting iPhone 5 into DFU mode is the same as for all previous iPhones. If it is not going into DFU mode properly, you are doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your USB cable, your computer, or your phone's hardware.

2. In order to restore to iOS 7, you need to be a registered developer, or your device's UDID need to be registered with a developer's account. There is a workaround for this, but it's not allowed to discuss it in this forum.

Its strange, bcoz it goes to recovery mode, but not DFU. and i am doing all good. restarted laptop/itune, restored iphone ..just incase.. but still no luck..

my phone is connected to my laptop, itune is running, it has detected my iphone. then i press Home and power button...press it about 10 sec. then let power button go and keep holding home button..thats it..now it should go DFU mode..
have also changed USB port. but not luck..

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Its strange, bcoz it goes to recovery mode, but not DFU. and i am doing all good. restarted laptop/itune, restored iphone ..just incase.. but still no luck..

my phone is connected to my laptop, itune is running, it has detected my iphone. then i press Home and power button...press it about 10 sec. then let power button go and keep holding home button..thats it..now it should go DFU mode..
have also changed USB port. but not luck..

If the iPhone is in DFU mode, the screen will be black, and iTunes will say it has found a phone in recovery mode.

If the iPhone screen shows a "connect to iTunes" picture, then it is in recovery mode.

In both cases (DFU or recovery), iTunes says the phone is in recovery mode.

In any case, if you can restore your phone to 6.1.4, there is no need for DFU. it's not like being in DFU is going to allow you to install iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.