Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
is there a way i can downgrade an a4 device from iOS 6 to iOS 6 on a mac?

i don't have access to a pc, and every time i try redsn0w, it gives an error. so, how can i successfully downgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.0.1 or 6.1 on an iPod touch 4? thanks.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
iReb is a tool to kick iPhones out of non-responsive states - it cannot change which firmware is installed on your device.

Additionally, you must have complete SHSH saved for whichever version of iOS 6 you are trying to install or use iFaith (PC only) if you are just trying to reinstall your current firmware.

You will have to deal with your father's misconceptions yourself .....

343matt

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Boot Camp?

Maybe you could do a temporary Boot Camp install with a tiny 50gb partition, just to perform the downgrade. Simply remove it afterwards, and put your content back with iTunes in OS X. It's what I did. Just remember that the SHSH blobs saved by Cydia cannot be used, and cause restore and boot loops. They have to have been saved with redsn0w or TinyUmbrella.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Maybe you could do a temporary Boot Camp install with a tiny 50gb partition, just to perform the downgrade. Simply remove it afterwards, and put your content back with iTunes in OS X. It's what I did. Just remember that the SHSH blobs saved by Cydia cannot be used, and cause restore and boot loops. They have to have been saved with redsn0w or TinyUmbrella.

i know, i have valid 6.1 and 6.0.1 blobs saved. i just need to be able to use faith/sn0wbreeze. how do i install windows for free to just downgrade once?

343matt

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Trial ISO

Use a trial ISO file. They last 30 days, but just uninstall after performing the downgrade. Just follow this guide: http://www.ujailbreakiphone.com/2013/03/downgrade-ios-6-1-3-to-6-1-2.html?m=1

I have used this for my iPod Touch 4G and my iPhone 4, and it works fine. You can get the trial ISO from here: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

This worked fine for me, and the trial ISO is completely legal. Just make sure to back up your files before you go installing another OS. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.