Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
In case someone else is having this problem and like me tried every suggestion on the internet........

Out of nowhere my 'ear speaker' on my iPhone 5 quit working. I hear it ring, answer, they can hear me but I can'y hear them unless I put them on Speaker Phone or plug in headphones. Checked everything, all volumes up, Silent Mode switch (the small switch above your volume buttons) is Off, ect, ect, ect. Googled this problem and tried a gazillion 'fixes' without a change.

Out of desperation I tried switching the Silent Mode switch to On (red showing) then I turned the phone off. After restarting I switched Silent Mode to Off and wallah! My ear speaker works again. Weird but it worked. try it out, it 'may' work for you too.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For the most part, after experiencing this a few times now and looking into it online it's likely more of a physical/hardware type of issue than anything else--some sort of loose connection around the earpiece area at the top of the phone. Based on a few times when this has happened, sometimes pressing there for a little while or tapping there will get it working again, sometimes restarting the phone a few times will do it, but it's all somewhat random.

Su Juan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
In case someone else is having this problem and like me tried every suggestion on the internet........

Out of nowhere my 'ear speaker' on my iPhone 5 quit working. I hear it ring, answer, they can hear me but I can'y hear them unless I put them on Speaker Phone or plug in headphones. Checked everything, all volumes up, Silent Mode switch (the small switch above your volume buttons) is Off, ect, ect, ect. Googled this problem and tried a gazillion 'fixes' without a change.

Out of desperation I tried switching the Silent Mode switch to On (red showing) then I turned the phone off. After restarting I switched Silent Mode to Off and wallah! My ear speaker works again. Weird but it worked. try it out, it 'may' work for you too.

Dear CodeSeven,

I sign up an account in Macrumors so that I thank you for sharing your solution. My husband phone had the same problem this morning and I was googling places for help. I asked him to try your method and Voila! It worked. Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

titanup

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Temp fix for NO sound earpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
My phone was replaced for this same issue. You can find it in the official Apple support forums.

Try lightly squeezing the phone about 5 mm to the right of the receiver while on a call- it will probably work intermittently. The cause is a bad mechanical contact between the receiver module and one of three leads to the module.

Originally I took my phone to the Genius Bar, they opened it up and "cleaned some dust from under a contact."

In retrospect, looking at the teardown procedures for the phone, and given the time they expended, they probably just opened it up, blew some air into the thing and closed it again.

Worked for a few days and then stopped. Second visit, they replaced the phone with a white box replacement. This one works fine.

That was the original quote, and this is my experience.

My earpiece stopped working about two weeks ago. Like everyone else, I thought it must be something in my settings that was causing this very frustrating issue. Tried resetting, and spent a LOT of time online looking for a solution. Then I read the above post in this thread, pushed on the area just to the right of the earpiece and EUREKA!, my phone was healed! Well, actually it will probably function for a limited period and go out at the most inconvenient time possible. This is an obvious flaw in the iPhone 5. I wonder how many people have just gone in and paid for a new phone, thinking they must have done something wrong, or due to the fact this defect became apparent after the warranty period. I am probably in the latter group and wonder what Apple will do when I hit the store with a $500 paperweight. Any advice out there?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
My phone was replaced for this same issue. You can find it in the official Apple support forums.

Try lightly squeezing the phone about 5 mm to the right of the receiver while on a call- it will probably work intermittently. The cause is a bad mechanical contact between the receiver module and one of three leads to the module.

Originally I took my phone to the Genius Bar, they opened it up and "cleaned some dust from under a contact."

In retrospect, looking at the teardown procedures for the phone, and given the time they expended, they probably just opened it up, blew some air into the thing and closed it again.

Worked for a few days and then stopped. Second visit, they replaced the phone with a white box replacement. This one works fine.

That was the original quote, and this is my experience.

My earpiece stopped working about two weeks ago. Like everyone else, I thought it must be something in my settings that was causing this very frustrating issue. Tried resetting, and spent a LOT of time online looking for a solution. Then I read the above post in this thread, pushed on the area just to the right of the earpiece and EUREKA!, my phone was healed! Well, actually it will probably function for a limited period and go out at the most inconvenient time possible. This is an obvious flaw in the iPhone 5. I wonder how many people have just gone in and paid for a new phone, thinking they must have done something wrong, or due to the fact this defect became apparent after the warranty period. I am probably in the latter group and wonder what Apple will do when I hit the store with a $500 paperweight. Any advice out there?
Well, if it's under warranty they can replace it or perhaps try to fix it. If not, they could still possibly do it or at worst offer and out of warranty replacement for around $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.