Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
There's a vlc streamer on the App Store... Is it that the app we are talking about here...?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Grab it before its taken down again?

The removed all the code that was written by **** who don't want GPL licensed code on the iTunes store. "We have to protect the rights of the users of our code, that's why they can't use it".

There is no reason to expect anyone requesting it to be taken down. The article isn't quite correct: The problem wasn't "copyright issues with the GPL license"; the problem was one of the copyright holders requesting that Apple remove the app. The GPL license actually most likely allowed Apple to have the app on the store, but Apple respected the wishes of the copyright holder anyway.

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Can't say how happy I am about this.

Congrats to everyone involved in making this happen, very pleased, and downloading right now! Thank you! :)

Kiname

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Played around with it a little. Ipad 3 - 720p .Mkv playback is choppy and terrible as expected. But surprisingly .mp4 is also pretty choppy.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I am looking for this on the Australian store. And I can't seem to find it. I can only find VLC streaming apps, but not the official VLC app. Is it still on the Australian iOS store and if so is it just called "VLC" or does it have another name?

Renzatic

Suspended
The removed all the code that was written by **** who don't want GPL licensed code on the iTunes store. "We have to protect the rights of the users of our code, that's why they can't use it".

There is no reason to expect anyone requesting it to be taken down. The article isn't quite correct: The problem wasn't "copyright issues with the GPL license"; the problem was one of the copyright holders requesting that Apple remove the app. The GPL license actually most likely allowed Apple to have the app on the store, but Apple respected the wishes of the copyright holder anyway.

Not from what I've heard. It was taken down due to an issue Videolan had with a clause in Apple's EULA. The GPL states anyone can copy and install any of their work to as many machine as they please, whereas Apple only allows for an app to be installed on X amount of devices per account. They didn't like it, and didn't expect Apple to change it to account for GPL licensed apps, so they yanked it from the App Store.

...and it looks like the same thing has happened again. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not from what I've heard. It was taken down due to an issue Videolan had with a clause in Apple's EULA. The GPL states anyone can copy and install any of their work to as many machine as they please, whereas Apple only allows for an app to be installed on X amount of devices per account. They didn't like it, and didn't expect Apple to change it to account for GPL licensed apps, so they yanked it from the App Store.

That was the interpretation of one of the copyright holders, which is why he requested that the app should be removed. Whether his interpretation is correct or not is undecided. But as a copyright holder requested it to be removed, Apple did so.

My interpretation is that if your app has its own license, then anybody downloading it has the rights given by your license (for example GPL), PLUS the rights given to the user by Apple's store license: If you submit an app, then you agree that the users have all the rights that Apple's store license gives them (even if that is more rights than your own license), but your own license isn't affected by that and still valid.

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
software or hardware processing

I had the original VLC app before it got pulled. The only problem was that it only supported software based video processing and as a result could not play HD files without stuttering every second. Does this version use hardware processing like the native Videos app?

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I had the original VLC app before it got pulled. The only problem was that it only supported software based video processing and as a result could not play HD files without stuttering every second. Does this version use hardware processing like the native Videos app?

I agree it really needs to support hardware rendering... as well as better support for audio codecs. It seemed rather hit and miss last time I used it.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
With the new auto update feature of IOS, I would not be surprised if apps pulled from the store are not automatically pulled from your device (with a refund).

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's funny how many Americans think it's been pulled already, when the article says the US will get it at 11pm eastern time....

It's not hit the UK store yet.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
It's funny how many Americans think it's been pulled already, when the article says the US will get it at 11pm eastern time....

It's not hit the UK store yet.

I don't think it has been pulled yet. Just commenting on how, "Get it while you can.", may not work with the next version of IOS. I am sure, Apple will wait until it is on the market, before they pull it.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Just curious in case anyone knows....

Does new version have AC3 support for audio track in video files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.