Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Access to the address book database from third party apps are limited in what they can do to the address book.
Third party apps cannot write custom identifiers or create custom fields in the address book.
In order for the Google Maps to create a "pin" location for user in the contacts app, it needs to have the ability to create new field with the pin data.

And I agree... I'm sure Google would love to have everyone use Google contacts.
I suspect the issue here is more of Apple not wanting Google, or anyone else for that matter, getting in to the Core services frameworks in iOS.
Oh, the question is why Apple's Contacts app doesn't have a button to press that opens Google Maps? Yeah, I think you're right-- it's just about the manageability of everyone wanting to add buttons to Contacts.

There shouldn't be anything that prevents Google Maps from pulling the address information out of Apple's address book API from within Google Maps and making it available with whatever bells or whistles they'd like. Or creating a Contacts app of their own that includes both the Apple contacts database information and their own supplemental information.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Apple probably won't let Google have access to the necessary API.

I've seen how this confuses Android users who have no experience with Apple's data security model, but most people don't want every app on their phone to have unfettered access to all of the data stored on their phone. From my perspective, I would put Google toward the bottom of the list I'd trust with my contact information (one notch above Facebook).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've seen how this confuses Android users who have no experience with Apple's data security model, but most people don't want every app on their phone to have unfettered access to all of the data stored on their phone. From my perspective, I would put Google toward the bottom of the list I'd trust with my contact information (one notch above Facebook).

From iOS 6, your iDevice requests for your explicit authorisation before any app can access your contact list, and you can always revoke your authorisation later in Settings, Privacy (although it doesn't mean much if most of the contacts have been uploaded to their servers).

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
The BEST feature it has -- which wasn't advertised in the description -- is BICYCLE ROUTES!!!! I cycle all the time and I've long been waiting for this update!! NOW I can really get around!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
What? No on-the-fly re-routing? That gives it very limited usefulness for driving directions.

That was poorly written and should be updated. It certainly has on the fly rerouting. What they haven't added to the iOS version is auto rerouting based on traffic conditions which is now supported on Android.

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

You seem very confused about how Android apps work

Vane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
The BEST feature it has -- which wasn't advertised in the description -- is BICYCLE ROUTES!!!! I cycle all the time and I've long been waiting for this update!! NOW I can really get around!

Same here! Totally love it!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Oh, the question is why Apple's Contacts app doesn't have a button to press that opens Google Maps? Yeah, I think you're right-- it's just about the manageability of everyone wanting to add buttons to Contacts.

There shouldn't be anything that prevents Google Maps from pulling the address information out of Apple's address book API from within Google Maps and making it available with whatever bells or whistles they'd like. Or creating a Contacts app of their own that includes both the Apple contacts database information and their own supplemental information.
Works quite well with a certain JB tweak. Just certain web pages have issues, but I think they do , anyway. Everything else links direct to Google Maps.

It's that apple won't allow other apps to be the default for their type if Apple has one. Don't know if that is an API, but it's something. Mail, Maps, Safari, etc.

And apparently Google doesn't want to go the route of putting the interface in the maps app.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
You seem very confused about how Android apps work

Uh, I have an Android work phone. I know exactly how Android app permissions work: You download a basic flashlight app and it demands permissions to your phone log, contacts, calendar, location data, etc. in order to work. :rolleyes:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
40% is a lot. Care to provide some examples?

Well, last week I was looking for a mc donalds and around the corner there was one not listed.

And a few weeks ago, I was in a highway here in Miami and they are changing the distributors but it has been like that for a year. I took an exit and Maps showed me going on top of some buildings because the road was not updated... it it has been like that for over a year!

And things like that. It seems the company they hire here in Miami is not updating the database for at least a year.

wbensky

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
California
I've been using it for about an hour now, and I have to say it is nearly identical to Apple for me, except for explore, which I don't really use that much. Plus, Apple maps has (some) 3D features while Gmaps for iPad has none

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Uh, I have an Android work phone. I know exactly how Android app permissions work: You download a basic flashlight app and it demands permissions to your phone log, contacts, calendar, location data, etc. in order to work. :rolleyes:
I would hope most users are smart enough to realize that those permissions are BS and would not install the app.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I would hope most users are smart enough to realize that those permissions are BS and would not install the app.

And my point (which you managed to miss entirely) is that iOS gives me the granularity to revoke or re-grant those permissions to an app, at will.

For example, if I want to let an app save a contact to my iPhone contacts, I can grant that permission to the app, and then revoke it later if I so choose.

For an Android, it's all or nothing.

I guess you could root your phone (prohibited for my work Android) and install a third-party security layer i.e. CyanogenMod but, even then, many apps crash when they are denied permissions the developer assumed they should have. It never seems to have occurred to Google to design the OS with that in mind.

Edit: I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=10340

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
And my point (which you managed to miss entirely) is that iOS gives me the granularity to revoke or re-grant those permissions to an app, at will.

For example, if I want to let an app save a contact to my iPhone contacts, I can grant that permission to the app, and then revoke it later if I so choose.

For an Android, it's all or nothing.

I guess you could root your phone (prohibited for my work Android) and install a third-party security layer i.e. CyanogenMod but, even then, many apps crash when they are denied permissions the developer assumed they should have. It never seems to have occurred to Google to design the OS with that in mind.

Edit: I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=10340
Point was not missed at all.

Apple is not as granular as you suggest, but does provide a lot more control than Android.

It's not "all or nothign" with Android, but close to it.
For example, you can deny an app from using your location information.
No root access required.
You can also change what app is used to handle certain types of requests (default apps) again.. no root required.
But I agree, the ability to apply limitations for app access is sorely lacking.

I will not install an app that obviously does not need access to the resources it declares in the permissions.
But that does require understanding WTH they mean.
Typical user has no clue and click OK.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Re-routing

Apple Maps still doesn't have its act together, but will reroute when you can't follow its directions. Google Maps has excellent data, but cannot reroute. BlackBerry Maps on my Q10 has great data and rerouting, but is brain dead when it comes to business names.

"... Even in the future, nothing works!"

Not sure what Google Maps re-route function you are talking about. If I don't follow Google Maps route, it immediately re-routes based on where I am. Maybe you are talking if there is an accident or incident on the road?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.