Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
So Apple won't throw in the towel on this map thing, eh? Sheeez. Just accept that you can't do EVERYTHING well, Apple.

But no...Apple will spend millions, if not billions, in acquisitions, man hours, technical support, etc. to TRY to make a map app that comes close to Google...while annoying every single iPhone user in existence.

Nobody's forcing you to use Apple Maps.... You can go ahead and use g maps all you like but it doesn't mean Apple can't try to fix a product they already spent so much time and resources developing. It's software after-all, not hardware a little tweaking can do wonders.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Google's licensing agreement with Apple to let Apple use Google Maps on the iPhone wouldn't allow Apple to implement turn-by-turn GPS navigation in order to make it an Android exclusive feature. In order to add the feature, Apple had to tell Google goodbye and that they didn't need them. If Apple was still using Google Maps I guarantee you there would be no turn-by-turn navigation. It's not a boycott, Google was just being very anti-competitive with Apple.

Yup but you know these people. When it comes to Apple, anything that happens is their fault and only their fault and they couldn't be bothered to figure out why a certain approach was taken because they know better than Apple.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Maybe not a bad next step, but if Apple really want to fix their Maps problem they need to develop a team devoted to verification of location data as it related to POIs. Mapping companies call them "Ground Truth" teams.

And I'm not just talking about two or three guys in Cupertino.

Something more along the lines two people in Oklahoma City, five people in Minneapolis, ten people in Houston, twenty people in Tokyo, thirty people in London, etc.

They also need to provide a better way for @me.com users to submit corrections, including the ability to track the status of the corrections they have submitted. (Remember AT&T's "Mark the Spot" iPhone app for reporting coverage gaps?) I could see establishing a scorecard, where someone submitting POI/location data known to be crap gets a lower score vs. submissions that repeatedly correlate to accurate data. Yes, Maps for OSX could do this, but really it's the location corrections you submit when you have your iPhone in your hand that would be the most useful, IMO.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
So Apple won't throw in the towel on this map thing, eh? Sheeez. Just accept that you can't do EVERYTHING well, Apple.

But no...Apple will spend millions, if not billions, in acquisitions, man hours, technical support, etc. to TRY to make a map app that comes close to Google...while annoying every single iPhone user in existence.

You've got to be kidding with this entire post. Ever heard of "If at first you don't succeed, try-try again"? I'm so sure you haven't gotten it right the first time and wanted a second chance. Why do you care how much money Apple puts into the project, they have it to burn and not only that, most of their customers prefer using Apple's software and not rely on 3rd parties pulling the chain when they get mad at Apple from time to time. The customer suffers. You need to be on Android if you're going to have this attitude.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I've done business with Locationary. It's better than what Apple currently has, but it's not the end all be all. Crowd sourcing does better in markets with lots of users, which are typically better represented anyway. It still leaves the more rural areas in shambles.

Meanwhile, Google is continuing to step up their game. I now use Chrome because it opens Google maps directly.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I have a feeling that most of the people who have a positive experience with Apple maps are from 'Merica. In the rest of the world, Apple Maps can't even make basic address search functions without putting you in another city, or saying it can't find anything because you have a dash in the wrong place.

Is Apple ever going to get their maps up to Google's standards? If not, maybe they should focus on something else they can do better.

Microsoft was ahead of Apple in the tablet market by years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Blackberry was producing phones before Apple produced the iPod, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Mp3s were around for years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Yes, they did a bad job with it, but that's what happens in life, friend. You fix things up, make them better, not give up.

They probably watched this video: http://youtu.be/7uUlOAyQsn4

You should just pull the plug on your own comment. :rolleyes:

HeyOH!

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Say what you guys want about Apple Maps, but it's the entire map on your phone. I navigated through canada using nothing but Apple Maps + GPS without getting charged a cent on roaming data. It didn't give me voice guidance but I never got lost. Google maps has it's pros but it's not perfect.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
I use Apple Maps exclusively now and have never had a problem once.

Wait, so you're saying that Apple Maps should be absolutely perfect as Google's, despite Google Maps having been around for 8 years?

Meanwhile, Google Maps was missing an ENTIRE SCOTTISH ISLAND just a few days ago yet we heard not a peep about it from the tech blogs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Microsoft was ahead of Apple in the tablet market by years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Blackberry was producing phones before Apple produced the iPod, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Mp3s were around for years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Yes, they did a bad job with it, but that's what happens in life, friend. You fix things up, make them better, not give up.

Maybe it's just the mentality of the generation... Your post reminded me of this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 80

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I thought Apple already had something like this built into Maps. You can already report location errors. I've done so a few times. Hasn't seemed to have any effect so far, but I reported it. :-/

With that they have to then go and verify everything to make sure someone isn't punking the system

From what I understand of this new service there are ways for businesses to update their own info. So say I own an ice cream shop and I decide to move down the block. I could report this information and as I have been verified as the business owner they know its good.

Plus other systems

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
Google Maps is so good, especially 2.0, I don't think I'll ever use Apple Maps. They should just pull the plug on the maps project.

Unlike everyone else here, I agree with and support your comment. Unlike these brainwashed Apple lads and totalitarian mods.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Right, because we should be only running software on our Apple products from 3rd party companies such as Google and because Google's mapping system was 100% perfect from day 1.

Wasn't still isn't.

After three years of reporting the issue I gave up on google maps not reporting my street as one way (its been that way for like 30 years). Two more years later it is still wrong.

Apple maps has it correct in day one

----------

EVERY user? Nope.

In the future don't confuse your personal opinion, or even the opinion of a small group, with fact.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You've got to be kidding with this entire post. Ever heard of "If at first you don't succeed, try-try again"? I'm so sure you haven't gotten it right the first time and wanted a second chance. Why do you care how much money Apple puts into the project, they have it to burn and not only that, most of their customers prefer using Apple's software and not rely on 3rd parties pulling the chain when they get mad at Apple from time to time. The customer suffers. You need to be on Android if you're going to have this attitude.

Anyway, the money that they don't have to pay to a competitor pays for all of that quite easily.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I'm glad you don't run or even work for Apple.

because he realizes apple might not ever be better than google maps?

i think that means he is against wasting money and offering users a worse experience

and for every person citing the iphone or ipad as an example go ping it

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Now if only they would acquire companies like this at a more rapid pace!

A hostile takeover of Yelp or Foursquare for their data would fix the maps issue in a minute.

And it might lead to Apple gaining an inkling of knowledge about social media. Surprisingly, they haven't a clue about it. Although Steve wasn't exactly social. ;)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
How about purchasing a company that actually has local data for my area?

Foursquare is a perfect choice. It's crowd sourced, up-to-date and for the most part, accurate. I haven't even heard of Locationary. (Although, admittedly, the name is catchy.) But I don't think Apple would ever trust its users to provide location data like Foursquare does.

The reason why Google Maps and Foursquare are so current is because they enable users to freely add information to their databases. Would Apple ever allow their users to do that? Not a chance.

You probably didn't read the articles on locationary.

First, google, foursquare, yelp, and apple map ingest local business listing from the same few companies. Locationary provides the platform to keep these data up-to-date, and linked.

In addition it provides rewards for users to contribute and update the data as you suggested. They already handle 200,000 to 250,000 changes per day.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Unlike everyone else here, I agree with and support your comment. Unlike these brainwashed Apple lads and totalitarian mods.

So, you're brainwashed if you believe Apple Maps are OK, but you're not brainwashed if you believe Google Maps are the 2nd coming. Ok.

Google maps have lots of errors too. For example, here: http://www.rodsbot.com/?cat=error Most have been fixed by now, same with Apple Maps, but there are lots of errors all the time for BOTH companies.

Look at this one CURRENTLY ACTIVE on Google Maps. Tell me about their quality. http://www.rodsbot.com/index.php?c=1655 I could pull up example after example just by easy web searches.

wolverinemarky

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
if you dont like Apple Maps use Google Maps its a simple free download. I like Apple Maps its never steered me wrong do i use it all the time no I like Waze. Kind of wish Apple would have bought them before Google. With that being said its always good when they can improve upon what they have started give them time and Im sure they will be on par with Google Maps in the minds of the people

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

I'd been trying my best to resist replying to that idiotic comment but yours tipped me over the edge.
So if someone is established and good at a game, everyone else should give up as soon as they fail?

If you have children is that what you tell them and if so maybe you don't deserve them?

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Google Maps is so good, especially 2.0, I don't think I'll ever use Apple Maps. They should just pull the plug on the maps project.

Even Google themselves embrace choices. Google fans should not be afraid of Apple.

I believe the Google co-founders mentioned that people should foster positive relationships.

People who use Apple products may be more open minded than totalitarian people who only want Google Maps and nothing else.

I have 4-5 map apps on my iPad because even Google Maps is not good enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.