Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
Hello everyone, I know I haven't posted here in over 3 years but I need some help. Last September I decided I wanted to try out Android, so I waited till my iPhone 4 contract was over and bought a Galaxy S3. I did wait to see what the iPhone 5 offered, but i wasn't satisfied due to the Apple Maps fiasco and the screen not being that much bigger, etc... Fast forward 10 months later and I realize that I've made a terrible mistake. Starting in March or so, I started experiencing one problem after another with this phone. I've never rooted/flashed the device or anything, but I've become increasingly frustrated with it. It constantly restarts for no reason, it freezes up when doing any kind of group messaging, and sometimes it just slows to a crawl. I've almost given up on this thing completely. After some research, I realize that a lot of Galaxy S owners have these problems, and just stay content with their device. Apparently people just accept these problems and move on.

This past week, I decided to post a Craigslist ad hoping to find someone to trade devices with me. I've put an invisibleshield screen protector on it, bought an extended battery, a 32GB SD card, and an otterbox defender case for it. I've offered all of this in exchange for a 32GB iPhone 5 or 4S. Yes, I even decided it'd be better to trade DOWN and get a 4S than stay with this crappy phone. Apparently everybody on Craigslist thinks that their holy iPhone 5 is only worthy of a trade of a Galaxy S4. The S4 is THIS YEAR's phone while the 5 and the GS3 are last year's phones. I've encountered two people already that have said they'd only trade for S4's. I've tried to counter with the phone-specs-are-equal-for-our-phone's argument, and nothing has worked. I had 3 other replies and all of them had iPhone 4's and wanted to trade when my ad clearly said 4S or 5 only.

I'm posting a link to my ad to see what everyone thinks and if there's anything I need to do to it to maybe appeal to people more. No, I'm not trying to pawn off my device on this forum. I live in the high desert in CA and the only thing close to me is a military base and Palm Springs is about an hour away lol. Not too sure there's many readers of this forum in my area. Also, is there any other place I could perhaps put my phone up to see if anyone wants to trade besides Craigslist? I don't want to sell this thing since I still have 14 months on my contract.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mob/3936389712.html

Thanks for your help in advance

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Have you tried doing a factory reset? I've had devices get flaky on me both iOS and android. Give that a shot. The GS3 is a great phone and everyone I know is happy with theirs. Chances are youre not going to find anyone near you wanting to trade given your location.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
It's hard to say because the resell value is so much lower for these phones than the iPhone. That's why I'd be much better off trading someone to get somewhat of a deal. I couldn't even buy a 16GB 4S for $300

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
you may have a bad unit. try factory reset as a fresh start. also you can try using KIES to update to Jelly Bean android. S3 is far from a crappy device.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
What year it was released doesn't matter. iPhone 5 is the most recent iPhone and will continue to be until the fall. The S3 has already been superseded by S4. Vanilla S3 doesn't even support LTE... :rolleyes: Making matters worse is what you've already discovered: the Galaxy series' resale value drops a lot faster than the iPhone's. I just checked my local store's prices, and the new 4S sells for 200 bucks more than the S3, the iPhone 5 is 300 higher than S3. You're living in a fantasy land.

By the way, why does your ad say it's working "perfectly" when you just said it's restarting, freezing, and slowing to a crawl? Then again, I used to have a Galaxy Ace, and that was about as perfect as it got too.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
With the issues you're having with it I'd really question this:

I've had this phone for less than a year and it works perfectly

If it is having issues because of a fault that you are unable to rectify or identify how can you say it works perfectly? I'd say it is abnormal for a factory reset S3 to experience these kind of issues shortly after a reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.