Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Samsung have been in settlement negotiations following Apple's victory in a patent lawsuit last year, according to The Wall Street Journal. This contradicts a report from last November that said Samsung was not interested in settling with Apple.

The talks included face-to-face meetings in Seoul and reportedly came close to a resolution in February, but have since "cooled off". The sides remain in discussions, according to The WSJ.

NewImage43.png
In the negotiations, described sparingly in heavily redacted documents from the U.S. International Trade Commission made public earlier this month and by people familiar with them, Samsung has pushed for a broad patent cross-licensing deal that could settle all outstanding litigation between the companies. It is unclear whether Apple was interested in such a deal.

The possibility of a broad settlement, or a series of separate deals, marks another twist in the relationship between the two technology giants that began with Samsung supplying parts necessary to make smaller and thinner iPod music players in 2005, and has ballooned into fierce competition over smartphones.
The most recent development in Apple v. Samsung was the scheduling of a new damages trial for November, after Judge Lucy Koh ruled that the original jury may not have had a clear understanding of the patent issues. She said this resulted in a lump sum award that did not distinguish between patent violations, making it impossible for the court to determine which part of the damages were applicable to each patent.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Still in Settlement Talks, 'No Indication' of Imminent Agreement

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wonder if the new agreement for Samsung to produce future Apple Ax chips has anything to do with this.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I hope Apple and Samsung can come to an agreement. There's been way too much time and money wasted on legal issues.

Besides, Samsung makes great displays ;)

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Flame on.

Why is this on the Front Page? I want to read about Mac rumors, not what lawyers of wealthy multinational conglomerates do to keep themselves on the clock. :rolleyes:

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I think companies have a right to prevent others from using their ideas in their products.

I understand that many people disagree with the way the patent system works, but that is something to take up with congress and the patent office.

I don't think that it is fair to coerce Apple into a cross licensing agreement, especially when it is Samsung that has been repeatedly found by the court system to infringe on Apple's patents. The only patents Samsung have made progress on legally are SEP patents, which they are legally required to license to others.

That is to say, Apple hasn't been shown to use Samsung's non-SEP technology, thus Samsung would benefit hugely from a cross license agreement while Apple would see almost no benefit from being able to use Samsung's patents.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Yawn

No indication of imminent interest. I wish I had patented the business litigation process.

nostaticatall

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Lancashire, UK
Flame on.

Why is this on the Front Page? I want to read about Mac rumors, not what lawyers of wealthy multinational conglomerates do to keep themselves on the clock. :rolleyes:

You want to read about Mac rumours, others want the latest Apple related news - the site is for all, not just one person. These legal issues do waste a lot of money but hopefully there are better times ahead when licensing and intellectual property issues have clearer boundaries and this current mess amongst IT vendors and innovators becomes historic.

I'm fed up of hearing about the next new iPhone and pictures of batteries as the next new iPhone is inevitable rather than hot news!! Now if there were rumours that Apple was looking at the possibility of making a car with a wrap around 50" display instead of a windscreen..............

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
i hope they reach an agreement because most of the iphones, ipods etc. used samsung's chips, displays etc. which were pretty good, their quality can be trusted.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I hope Apple and Samsung can come to an agreement. There's been way too much time and money wasted on legal issues.

Besides, Samsung makes great displays ;)

+1

...and great SSDs (not only 2.5"), RAM, et cetera...

Agreed and agreed. NO one questions the quality of SAMSUNG components; it's the ethics of their business dealings, some people have a problem with.

You want to read about Mac rumours, others want the latest Apple related news - the site is for all, not just one person. These legal issues do waste a lot of money but hopefully there are better times ahead when licensing and intellectual property issues have clearer boundaries and this current mess amongst IT vendors and innovators becomes historic.....

Here's hoping.....

.....I'm fed up of hearing about the next new iPhone and pictures of batteries as the next new iPhone is inevitable rather than hot news!! Now if there were rumours that Apple was looking at the possibility of making a car with a wrap around 50" display instead of a windscreen..............

We'd definitely wanna hear about that!

I think companies have a right to prevent others from using their ideas in their products. I understand that many people disagree with the way the patent system works, but that is something to take up with congress and the patent office.....

Agreed on both counts.

.....I don't think that it is fair to coerce Apple into a cross licensing agreement, especially when it is Samsung that has been repeatedly found by the court system to infringe on Apple's patents. The only patents Samsung have made progress on legally are SEP patents, which they are legally required to license to others. That is to say, Apple hasn't been shown to use Samsung's non-SEP technology, thus Samsung would benefit hugely from a cross license agreement while Apple would see almost no benefit from being able to use Samsung's patents.

Apple has been using some of SAMSUNG's frand patents, but APPLE claims that SAMSUNG was not willing to be reasonable, in licensing those SE patents.

I do agree that a blanket cross-licensing agreement would most likely benefit SAMSUNG much more, than it would APPLE, as most of the latter's patents in contention, were non-frand.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You mean LG make great displays copysung just copy LG tec and use it for their own devices. :)

You mean Hitachi designed something great, and LG just made a cheaper less stable version:p.

It's a joke regarding the history of IPS in case anyone is wondering.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You mean Hitachi designed something great, and LG just made a cheaper less stable version:p.

It's a joke regarding the history of IPS in case anyone is wondering.

And Sharp made a more expensive, less stable version. :p

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i hope this doesn't affect their SoCs deal, samsung chips have always worked flawlessly on every iphone.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This is a typical dance. Judges always push litigants to settle, and neither party wants to appear uncooperative to the court. But that doesn't mean either side really wants to settle.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
As mentioned Samsung make great TVs, I've had two sets in 15 years both great build quality, kids smashing them etc.. and never broken, same with their displays and SSD's, good quality.

I actually believe i don't particularly care for the company not so much because of the company themselves (though I do a bit) but mainly because of the trolls that come on and post and claim Apple owe their existence to Samsung, naming no names;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Is this whole infringement thing constantly 'flip-flopping'??
One minute, it was destined that Apple was gonna make up, now its different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.