Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent Safari from auto-filling the username and password at sites where this info is saved in the Mac OS X keychain, while at the same time, when I visit a new site or submit a changed password, have that information get automatically saved to the keychain?

If I un-check “AutoFill web forms: User names and passwords” in Safari preferences, this will prevent Safari from automatically filling in the login info, but new login entries are no longer added to the keychain. I would like things to be remembered so that I can look them up in my keychain if needed, but avoid anything getting automatically filled in.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Indeed, I am using 1password, which is actually what inspired my wish. 1password is designed to work with Safari's autofill feature turned off (it will get confused if Safari is automatically filling in login data), and I like using 1password as designed. However, I would still like my login data to be saved to the native Mac OS X keychain "just in case" so I am not relying solely on third-party tools.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Indeed, I am using 1password, which is actually what inspired my wish. 1password is designed to work with Safari's autofill feature turned off (it will get confused if Safari is automatically filling in login data), and I like using 1password as designed. However, I would still like my login data to be saved to the native Mac OS X keychain "just in case" so I am not relying solely on third-party tools.

I am also using 1P with Safari's autofill turned off. However, whenever I have used it with Safari autofill on... I've never seem any case of "1P confusion". Have you experienced this?

My thought was to let Safari auto-fill in iOS 7 (when released)... but not in OSX. I wish Apple would just allow some API's to get around their sandboxing limitations which limits password applications (like 1P) to work with mobile Safari. That would make it much more convenient to use password programs, and improve security with iOS.

/Jim

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
flynz4,

I hear ya on the iOS limitations re: mobile Safari and 1pass, it would be nice if :apple: allowed for better integration.

As far as the "confusion" that I was talking about on Mac OS X: Let's say I have my example.com password saved in both 1password and the keychain, and I have autofill turned on in Safari, and I also have “Ask to save new Logins” checked in 1password. If I were to navigate to http://www.example.com/login, then Safari would automatically fill in my username and password, and I click "login" at which point, 1password asks me if I want to save this login, even though it already has this login saved. This is documented at http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/safari_autofill.html

Anyway, I will just go ahead and turn it off, and use 1password the way it is intended to work. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.