Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I have no confidence in an iTV device. First off, it doesn't need to exist. Noone's made the case yet that it would give you a better experience than the current ATV3 connected to your own HDTV. All the content deals that would make or break an iTV could also come to market for the existing ATV3 (just like they did with HBO Go and ESPN).

Secondly, if Apple releases some uber-TV that's 4K/3D/240 Hz, in a 46" OLED screen that retails for $9,000, what good does that do for those of us who would want to use such a TV as the centerpiece of our home theater setup?It's too small for such a use. Additionally, what 4K content would you watch on it? Sony's new 4K server that retails $699 is only compatible with Sony 4K TVs, noone else's, so that's out. for Conversely, if Apple builds a 65" version with the same specs, they'd be charging over $15,000 for it.

Who'd buy that in today's economy?

Your lack of confidence wont really stop apple from moving forward with their plans (if its true) :p

No has made the case because it hasnt come out yet, we dont know what it will bring. Apparently commercial skipping is a rumor thats going around, something I personally would pay for. Especially now that commercials are what, about 30% of the show's time? Just the fact that it means no additional box to connect is a huge + for me; I personally prefer a single device with more features than several devices with the same features. I would kill for an iPhablet!

All we can do is speculate, but I do like how you speculate to the high end right away. I have hope still :p I dont see Apple anywhere near the 3D market. They have not expressed any interest in it, and I for one am grateful for that. Also, the surprising thing is that Apple is working with existing broadcasters as opposed to replacing them, so odds are they wont do anything over the top that wont be supported by the providers, so Im not so sure on the 4k screen. Size is a preference, I have a 46" TV in my living room, and more than content with it. Rumors claim 55" and 65" screen sizes. Analysts, based on rumors, price the iTV no more than $4000 (from what I recall).

But again, all these are rumors and speculations. Im convinced they are creating an iTV, especially with Tim Cook expressing "interest" in that market. Im just hoping for native live streaming from the iTV to any Apple device, that would be very convenient for me. I could ditch my slingbox and ATV. Im tired of all those cables and wires! :D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Your lack of confidence wont really stop apple from moving forward with their plans (if its true) :p

No has made the case because it hasnt come out yet, we dont know what it will bring. Apparently commercial skipping is a rumor thats going around, something I personally would pay for. Especially now that commercials are what, about 30% of the show's time? Just the fact that it means no additional box to connect is a huge + for me; I personally prefer a single device with more features than several devices with the same features. I would kill for an iPhablet!

All we can do is speculate, but I do like how you speculate to the high end right away. I have hope still :p I dont see Apple anywhere near the 3D market. They have not expressed any interest in it, and I for one am grateful for that. Also, the surprising thing is that Apple is working with existing broadcasters as opposed to replacing them, so odds are they wont do anything over the top that wont be supported by the providers, so Im not so sure on the 4k screen. Size is a preference, I have a 46" TV in my living room, and more than content with it. Rumors claim 55" and 65" screen sizes. Analysts, based on rumors, price the iTV no more than $4000 (from what I recall).

But again, all these are rumors and speculations. Im convinced they are creating an iTV, especially with Tim Cook expressing "interest" in that market. Im just hoping for native live streaming from the iTV to any Apple device, that would be very convenient for me. I could ditch my slingbox and ATV. Im tired of all those cables and wires! :D

How is what you've described any superior to any number of $500-$2000 smart TVs on the market right now? Integration with iTunes won't be enough. It's not superior to the current ATV experience.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
How is what you've described any superior to any number of $500-$2000 smart TVs on the market right now? Integration with iTunes won't be enough. It's not superior to the current ATV experience.

Exactly, we dont know anything. All we can do is speculate. What will be different would be the ability to skip commercials on live TV, and I read somewhere else that they plan on having some sort of "mini screen" system so only 1 wired connection is needed to the main TV, and smaller screens would wirelessly receive live streams with no wires needed.

How was the iPhone different from any other phone in 2005? No one knew 2 years before its release. It was more intense because no one even knew it was coming. But since then, Apple has been in the spotlight. With the release of iPads, retina screens, and other innovations, more people are now watching, listening, and hanging on every word or possible hint from Apple and their distributors. We now know theyve been in talks with TV companies and expressing an interest in the market, and steve jobs apparently cracked the code on how to revolutionize the tv watching experience. At this point people speculate, and I praise Apple for keeping a tight lid on their progress. I like the suspense.

But to answer your question, I dont know yet. I cant compare my own shadow to another person's shadow while they stand in a dark room. Im guessing the shadow is the size of an average person, youre guessing its the size of the room; but we will never know what it is until the light is turned on. right?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Exactly, we dont know anything. All we can do is speculate. What will be different would be the ability to skip commercials on live TV, and I read somewhere else that they plan on having some sort of "mini screen" system so only 1 wired connection is needed to the main TV, and smaller screens would wirelessly receive live streams with no wires needed.

How was the iPhone different from any other phone in 2005? No one knew 2 years before its release. It was more intense because no one even knew it was coming. But since then, Apple has been in the spotlight. With the release of iPads, retina screens, and other innovations, more people are now watching, listening, and hanging on every word or possible hint from Apple and their distributors. We now know theyve been in talks with TV companies and expressing an interest in the market, and steve jobs apparently cracked the code on how to revolutionize the tv watching experience. At this point people speculate, and I praise Apple for keeping a tight lid on their progress. I like the suspense.

But to answer your question, I dont know yet. I cant compare my own shadow to another person's shadow while they stand in a dark room. Im guessing the shadow is the size of an average person, youre guessing its the size of the room; but we will never know what it is until the light is turned on. right?

I just can't help but think you're setting yourself up for some disappointment.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
It's a streaming device I really don't think they can do much other than give it powerful graphics chip so it can play ipad games directly on your tv w/o an iPad. I'd be happy with a price drop and more channels. I know that apple doesn't like to add competition but Vudu, Amazon, the best buy streaming is all on PS3 that has it's own streaming service.

What I really want on Apple TV is ESPN streaming or for it to be cheaper 60 bucks tops. Right now everyone with a smart TV or a video game system really has 0 reason to buy an apple tv especially for 100 bucks. It has too many competitors that do the same function for much cheaper or serve better functions. For me personally iTunes is too expensive. I hate ultraviolet but come on Apple why is Batman The Dark Knight Rises 20 bucks !!!!! I didn't even pay that when it came out at Best buy and got a DVD, Blu Ray and digital Ultraviolet copy. Spiderman is 18 bucks digital on Itunes and you get the 3d blu ray, blu ray, ultra violet and DVD !!!

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Like Irishman, I see nothing special about an iTV, and would be surprised and disappointed if they came out with a high-end iTV that had functionality that wasn't also offered via the ATV3 (or some next-gen ATV standalone box). I could see Apple releasing an iTV in a few sizes simply because it would be low-hanging fruit for them. They take a flat-screen TV, add in the ATV3 guts, and there you go. But new functionality specific to an iTV like live TV commercial skipping? Why? When we're talking about live TV commercial skipping, what we're really talking about here is the ability for you to stream, from the iTunes store, the latest TV shows day & date with when they're broadcast on TV, but with no commercials. There's no reason why they couldn't offer that functionality today with the ATV2/3. The main thing holding that back is not hardware limitations within the ATV3, but rather getting deals signed with the major TV networks.

The main hardware limitations I can think of with the ATV3 are lack of WiFi direct (which would greatly reduce lag times when mirroring) and lack of 24Hz support (which I assume to be a hardware limitation, but could possibly be fixable via firmware for all I know). If I was a hardcore gamer, I would add the latest GPU to that list. But most of what I'd like to see improved on my ATV3 are all software related and could work just fine on the current ATV3 hardware platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.