Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryJobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I recently dropped my iPhone 3GS in a lake and it was fully submerged for about 15 seconds. I then dried it off and put it in rice for three days.

Now it will only turn on when I plug it in. When it does, the apple logo comes on, then goes dim and the screen fills with lines and fades to black. Then it blinks on again and displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen that new iOS devices had pre-ios5, which is odd because I was using ios 6.

When plugged into a computer running iTunes, nothing happens.

I realize that the chances of this phone working are very slim, but I'm curious as to why this might be happening and if anything can be done about it.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
water and phone batteries dont go, go and get yourself a replacement battery and you'll be ok

while your in your phone submurge the logic board in acid to get rid of any currison.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Water damage is tough to recover from. Even if you get temporary positive results, water damage to seemingly spared internal parts takes a while to show up (and it will.)

I don't think putting phone parts in acid as suggested by the previous poster is ever a good idea.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
it kills 99% of the rotten out of the logicboard, if it does.. change battery, bath the logicboard give it 20 minutes to dry off and dump it back in the phone case... works 100% all the time..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.