Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
depends on where you live...im in hollywood ... LA craigslist has hoards of 4.1 and 5.1 under a G

Gotcha. West coast guys have it easy with these things. I'm in the midwest and if I see a Mac Pro once a month on Craigslist, then its a major event lol. I was able to pick up a 4.1 Quad on ebay for $699 recently, though they sold out within minutes (they had several.) I haven't seen a 2xCPU 4.1 on ebay go for under a thousand yet.

As for going the 6.1 route, I'd really take into account what you are wanting to spend. I'm sure the base model will start around $2499 or more, so be prepared to drop quite a bit for low specs. If the base is a hex Ivy-B around the same performance as the E5-1650, then you are looking at around a 14-15k geek bench. That's a lot of coin for that kind of performance, especially once you factor in external storage and such.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA

D2x128011703_sm_Sushi.jpg

Oh Man.... That looks like something from a 1950's Horror Flick !! :eek:

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Why? The next one will be false/fake?
:rolleyes:

I think he thinks the MP6,1 isn't actually a "Pro" machine. Which is kinda strange given that "Pro" is an arbitrary designation. I even have a pair of Pro socks with a pair of Pro underpants to go with them no less. ;)

I guess I could see not understanding if it classified as a "Workstation" grade machine or not... <shrug>

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
and the (now necessary) third party offerings.

as opposed to buying new drives and ram etc from apple in the past?

you can expand either form factor.. and you buy them from 3rd party whenever possible..

or are you saying that previously you had to put them in the box where as now you can put them where_ever you like?

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
I think he thinks the MP6,1 isn't actually a "Pro" machine. Which is kinda strange given that "Pro" is an arbitrary designation. I even have a pair of Pro socks with a pair of Pro underpants to go with them no less. ;)

I guess I could see not understanding if it classified as a "Workstation" grade machine or not... <shrug>

Has nothing to do with your Batman socks & underwear.... :eek:

Forget about the Pro designation.... Meaningless.

Pro's generally work on Workstations...

Current Mac Pro = Every sense of the word, Workstation.

New Mac Pro = Anything but a Workstation.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Forget about the Pro designation.... Meaningless.

Pro's generally work on Workstations...

Exactly what is used to get the job done is actually more meaningless than the pro designation. At least that embodies that it's something that enables you to get the job done, exactly how is less important and also has the focus on the wrong detail.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Current Mac Pro = Every sense of the word, Workstation.

New Mac Pro = Anything but a Workstation.

lol.. i really wish someone would take the time to differentiate here because i think at the end of the day, they both have done the same thing (and i'm willing to bet the new mac will do it better than the old)..

but saying the old mac is the very definition of 'workstation' and the new one is anything but a workstation... i'm mean those are complete_total_polar opposites.

so can someone, please, explain the definition of workstation which make the above separation apparent ?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
i mean, according to this definition of workstation:

1 a desktop computer terminal, typically networked and more powerful than a personal computer.
2 an area where work of a particular nature is carried out, such as a specific location on a manufacturing assembly line.

1) then new mac seems to fill the bill even more than the previous as, to me, it is more of a terminal instead of an all_in_one deal..

2) glad to know i can now refer to the other part of my work as a workstation too (the part after moving out of design phase)..

from a recent project.. if you look fast enough, you might even see a MBP in this workstation..

[click on pic for video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpNG5mBLIk

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'm pretty sure you weren't being singled out. Reading the forums, it seems to be the common theme. People complained that the current gen was long in the tooth in technology and sorely needed updating.. until they saw the next gen.. suddenly the old gen was the schiznit.

The crippled expandability is why people are saying the current generation are better than the new one. Only deluded fanboys insanely rationalise how the new one is in fact, more expandable than the current one by citing the availability of criminally expensive third party add-ons to compensate for the fact the currrent Mac Pro only needs the price of a screw driver + the cost of whatever PCIe card or drive someone wants to add on to it.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
The crippled expandability is why people are saying the current generation are better than the new one. Only deluded fanboys insanely rationalise how the new one is in fact, more expandable than the current one by citing the availability of criminally expensive third party add-ons to compensate for the fact the currrent Mac Pro only needs the price of a screw driver + the cost of whatever PCIe card or drive someone wants to add on to it.

Hear Hear! :)

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
tried a little mockup to help me try to visualize the differences and it's still pretty hard for me to see what the hell you're talking about :confused:

Nice job but not to correct scale. You need to shrink the NMP to about 75% of what you depict. 6 x 9 is tiny. I believe when people actually see one with the 3 to 7k price tag attached most will balk.

Screen-Shot-2013-06-10-at-19.04_1.jpg

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Nice job but not to correct scale. You need to shrink the NMP to about 75% of what you depict. 6 x 9 is tiny. I believe when people actually see one with the 3 to 7k price tag attached most will balk.

I'm thinking it will have much lower price tag than that. Lacking something inbetween the Mac Mini and the iMac is one the Macs biggest flaws since they switched to Intel and the entry level Mac Pro has gone from a £1400 BTO dual CPU 2Ghz system with 4 cores in total and 8 RAM slots in it's first version to a £2100 4 core 3.2Ghz system with 4 cores on 1 CPU and 4 RAM slots.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Nice job but not to correct scale. You need to shrink the NMP to about 75% of what you depict. 6 x 9 is tiny.

that is to correct scale. the old mac is 20.125" tall and the new one is 9.9" tall (at least in the schematics i used)

the new one is roughly 1/2 the height of the old one.

Last edited:

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
that is to correct scale. the old mac is 20.125" tall and the new one is 9.9" tall (at least in the schematics i used)

the new one is roughly 1/2 the height of the old one.

It's the width... NMP is 1.5 narrower than MP. Current is 8.1 wide new is 6.6 dia. I guess it's a combination of both being out of proportion. The MP is too narrow.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
A friend of mine suggested I buy a haswell Mac Mini when it comes out, and to wait for the 2nd gen nMP so they can work the bugs out of the first gen.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth

Well said.

I'm thinking it will have much lower price tag than that. Lacking something inbetween the Mac Mini and the iMac is one the Macs biggest flaws since they switched to Intel and the entry level Mac Pro has gone from a £1400 BTO dual CPU 2Ghz system with 4 cores in total and 8 RAM slots in it's first version to a £2100 4 core 3.2Ghz system with 4 cores on 1 CPU and 4 RAM slots.

And this is the second half of the same "Value" question: what's its price going to be?

Looking at just the 'Thunderbolt Tax', based on current price of peripherals ... which IMHO aren't going to change significantly over the next 18 months ... the new would need to retail for roughly $600 less than the old.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.