Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Have a question: Can I clone the whole operating system from hard drive to hard drive keeping all the apps and all the settings? If yes can I temporarily connect the second hard drive to the optical drive connector and clone the data on it?

Yes. And yes, although it'll be a little slow.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yes. And yes, although it'll be a little slow.

The problem is that I will have to keep the Mac open during cloning, and I expect that it will copy files from 2 to 4 hours. Can the CPU burn out during the copying time? (I don't have any IDE enclosures nor external IDE drives)

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Why do you have to keep the iMac open? It may damage it, actually they even need to change the thermal compound every time you open them. Just put the new hard drive in the CD/DVD slot, reapply thermal paste, close the iMac, clone the drive and then open it, take off the original hard drive, put the new one in the original place, put the CD/DVD drive in its place again, reapply thermal compound and close it. Slow, messy, but effective.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Why do you have to keep the iMac open? It may damage it, actually they even need to change the thermal compound every time you open them. Just put the new hard drive in the CD/DVD slot, reapply thermal paste, close the iMac, clone the drive and then open it, take off the original hard drive, put the new one in the original place, put the CD/DVD drive in its place again, reapply thermal compound and close it. Slow, messy, but effective.

So, I guess I have no choice really. I do what you said to me.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
What I did was create a Time Machine back up on an external USB HDD, I installed the new hard drive, booted up the Leopard disk and installed the OS from the Time Machine backup. (Or something like that anyway)

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
What I did was create a Time Machine back up on an external USB HDD, I installed the new hard drive, booted up the Leopard disk and installed the OS from the Time Machine backup. (Or something like that anyway)

Will it get ALL my apps and settings and data back on my computer or just partially?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
The problem is that I will have to keep the Mac open during cloning, and I expect that it will copy files from 2 to 4 hours. Can the CPU burn out during the copying time? (I don't have any IDE enclosures nor external IDE drives)

Yeah, having it open breaks the connection between the two heatpipes, and it moves the fan away from the CPU. Guaranteed burnout right there.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
It should transfer over the majority if not all of your user-data.

Hey, I got an idea: If I clone my content to an external HDD and make it bootable, then I will change the hard drive and boot from the external one to clone the contents over the new one. Is it a good idea?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hey, I got an idea: If I clone my content to an external HDD and make it bootable, then I will change the hard drive and boot from the external one to clone the contents over the new one. Is it a good idea?

Sure, that'll work well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.