Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I have no idea if it even exists but it would be an outstanding feature if it is technologically possible.

I read something about imaging red blood cells as a way of replacing needles for blood tests so I assume it would be that type of tech but I don't understand how they do it, genetics?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
That was my point.
As was my original post. I was replying to the statement: "As if the iwatch was a watch" which just sounds weird to me. That is like saying "As if the iPhone was a phone"

If he said "As if the iwatch was just a watch" I would not have said anything, I would just agree.

----------

I can't believe your comment...

Anything in a wrist is a watch?

A biometric sensor is a watch?

As Sheldon would say, have you got tested?

I think you missed my point. Right now we are calling this thing an iWatch. If the iWatch is not a watch, maybe it will be iBracelet. Not everything on your wrist is a watch, but when it has "watch" in the name, people might think it is one (That does amazing things, like the iPhone)

A wrist mounted bio-metric sensor is a not a watch unless is has a clock on it, then it is a watch with a bio-metric sensor in it.

A bracelet with a clock is a watch, any device that you wear on your wrist that has a clock on it is a watch.

I cannot believe I had to type that statement!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I read something about imaging red blood cells as a way of replacing needles for blood tests so I assume it would be that type of tech but I don't understand how they do it, genetics?

I honestly have no idea. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can find. If this is possible or close to being possible it will be a huge breakthrough. I just don't know how it could be down without an actual blood sample.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I'm pretty sure they won't call it iwatch. Jonathan Ive once said apple had to be careful with names, as they could be a limiting factor. I know they have registered that name, but only because they want to make others believe they are simply working in a "watch"

I hope this is true. But as long as we are reading reports about Apple's watch, I am going to be thinking about Apple making a watch that does a lot more than a normal watch. Just like my phone...

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
'Please Sir, can you spare some change?'

Gerald spent every last dime on his iWatch. Now he is in need of money to pay for the on-going subscription charges for various features of said device. Won't you spare just $2 a month to help people like Gerald get their continuous supply of Apple-goodness?

This made me LOL so much I almost choked on my pizza.

You, Sir, are a genuis :D

RTP.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
For those who aren't diabetic, besides a pulse monitor, what other health sensors could they use? I don't see it being that revolutionary for the average customer

If the device had a number of sensors that can give people a better day to day understanding of their health, I think this aspect of the iWatch will appeal to almost every adult, and support an increased awareness of health in youth. It's the beginning of a movement in which we are able to see read-outs of what is happening inside of us-- That can easily be revolutionary.

The Internet is breeding a generation of hypochondriacs-- constantly checking webMD, making doctor appointments to get levels tested. If much of this can be done on your wrist, it would be amazing. Obviously it would start simple and we have a long way to go before we have something that reads "Your liver could be at risk, would you like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Han?" But that can be a reality one day.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I honestly have no idea. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can find. If this is possible or close to being possible it will be a huge breakthrough. I just don't know how it could be down without an actual blood sample.

It's all in the original post. C8 MediSensors came up with a way to measure glucose using Raman spectroscopy (it shines a light on your skin and measures the specific colors in the reflection of light off your skin) in a portable package. They just got regulatory approval in Europe but have suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Following a report from earlier this week indicating that Apple is still "aggressively" hiring new employees to support its smart watch project,
How do you not aggressively hire people?

HR director has interviewee wander in, "Oh, were you coming in today? What's your name? Let's see, I guess we need a new IT Manager, 3 Cashiers, and a Maintenance Engineer. Interested? Whatever, call me on Tuesday, I might be in."

----------

You luddites and haters are like a broken record of Leonard Nimoy singing By Myself.
Still trying to wrap my head around that and picture it.

Badsey

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
If the device had a number of sensors that can give people a better day to day understanding of their health, I think this aspect of the iWatch will appeal to almost every adult, and support an increased awareness of health in youth. It's the beginning of a movement in which we are able to see read-outs of what is happening inside of us-- That can easily be revolutionary.

The Internet is breeding a generation of hypochondriacs-- constantly checking webMD, making doctor appointments to get levels tested. If much of this can be done on your wrist, it would be amazing. Obviously it would start simple and we have a long way to go before we have something that reads "Your liver could be at risk, would you like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Han?" But that can be a reality one day.

I agree. I'd like a device that can tell me if I am getting dehydrated before I get too thirsty, or tell me if a certain food I ate is causing a bad reaction or even if I am deficient in certain vitamins or minerals or if I have too much of a toxic substance or heavy metals in my blood etc....

The possibilities are endless.

----------

Or they could use Microneedles so small that you don't feel a thing.

https://www.valeritas.com/technologies/micro-trans

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The other 4 answers were accurate, but this one is vague. Still waiting to hear what Apple is going to do to change the game.

I think I'm allowed to be vague about a product with ambiguous existence. I just based my answer on Apple's previous track record of taking basic, failed, or already ubiquitous and making it sell like crazy.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to be a fan of MST3K, would you? :D

Edit: I just answered my own question by checking out your profile.

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
For those who aren't diabetic, besides a pulse monitor, what other health sensors could they use? I don't see it being that revolutionary for the average customer

You don't have to be diabetic to be interested in tracking your glucose and insulin levels, you just have to not be brainwashed by the "fat is evil" crowd.
I for one would be massively interested in tracking those two numbers.

A second sensor of interest to many people would be a pedometer (look at something like a Striiv Play for an example, only strip out the hideous app and all it's advertising/game crap).

A third sensor of interest to many people would be sleep tracking.

A fourth (not exactly sensor) of interest to many people would be "take this medicine now" notifications.

And of course you can start to imagine even more specialized things.
Could it be rigged up to report if you are having a heart attack? Stroke? Epileptic fit?

Any individual may only care about one of these. But if you care about it, you REALLY care about it, and you'd be willing to pay to have it done right rather than half-assed.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
After reading the full article from 9to5Mac, i'm under the impression this is gonna be something more along the lines of the Fuelband or Jawbone Up. And what I mean by that is no screen for viewing incoming calles and such. It seems it would work with an app on the iPhone or something.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....In particular, the report focus on Apple's hiring in the health sensor field.C8 MediSensors had been pursuing non-invasive monitoring of glucose and other substances, and Apple had reportedly considered an acquisition of the company. Ultimately, C8 MediSensors ceased operations and Apple was able to hire a number of the company's employees earlier this year.

The report also outlines the structure of Apple's "iWatch" group, which is reportedly led by Senior Vice President of Technologies Bob Mansfield, as well as former Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch and engineering senior director James Foster.Apple has also reportedly tapped some of the original iPhone engineers with expertise in miniaturization, as well as some of the company's Mac engineers with expertise in battery technology. In addition, some members of Apple's AuthenTec fingerprint sensor team are said to be working on other types of sensors for the iWatch.....

.....the latest rumors have suggested the device may not launch until late next year as Apple works to solve numerous technical challenges.

Article Link: Apple Taps New Hires in Health Sensors, Broad Array of Internal Experts for 'iWatch' Team

Very impressive, to say the least. Interestingly, this rumored device now seems to be also (or more), geared towards the medical/health aspects of our lives. That seems like a whole new and promising direction, albeit a bit of a surprise to some of us. Literally dozens and dozens of applications come to mind, and no doubt hundreds will follow in the future.....iWatch App store?

Good to know that APPLE clearly has not run out of ideas yet. The fact they're taking their time with this project all but guarantees that this will be another well thought-out, beautifully designed product.

kingcobra2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
The future

The future watch.
With prediabetes in 35% of the population (US) & hypertension in 31.9% of the population, the Iwatch will be the next big thing. Apple creates change when change was never even an option on the table. Google is the status quo company much like its bigger brother Microsoft !
TIME to THINK different

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I've held off buying a Nike Fuel bracelet waiting for a product like this from Apple. I'm not a fan of the Fuel metric, and I expect that Apple product will have additional features no present in the Nike product.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple's obsession with making things smaller continues. The iWatch hasn't even come out yet and they're already trying to smallify it! :D

Probably "try to fit more in". And size would be a very limiting factor for half of the potential market. If people want a device that looks like a watch from a distance, the limit is 44mm / 30 mm for male / female customers.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
IWatch if I was designing it...

Power is the number one engineering challenge. This to me means E-Ink display. I would go for one of the new 3 color displays. Red Black and White. This would allow the calendar to look like the IOS calendar and the Swiss Clock...

On top of the low power display, I would want ultra low power communications with my Iphone. Think RFID or NFC, low power bluetooth as well, but not for most things.

For computing power think SIM cards and Java Card. These are well known and blow out ARM for power and size.

Super long lasting power, and never having to plug the watch in, or conceivably taking it off. Self winding watch spring. Transparent Solar Power cell. These create power with infrared light. Imagine an infrared (LED) charging stand that you set your watch on at night.

Sensors, many sensors that will eventually communicate with an app.

Calendar application and a iillion alarms. For things from medication, to calendar appointments. Notification mirroring from the phone. Other than the time, I don't need that much more.

And it looks like a watch, a nice watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.