Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
The last time I had a need to pull some video off my set top DVR I used the firewire port and the firewire SDK. It worked just fine. Well now I have a need to do it again but I no longer have it installed. I went to get my back up and don't have one anymore. I went to the apple dev. site to download the latest copy and no joy. Can someone throw me a bone and help me get my hands on it?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
What....

Mac OS X are you using...? I see the hardware you have/use from your signature....

:):apple:

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I've been successful with FireRecord....records an mpeg file and then just needs to be converted to whatever format you need. Worked on both Motorola and Samsung boxes.

So far I found fire record. The problem is my set top box doesn't show up. Hopefully apples dev site will get unscrewed soon so I can get the latest firewire sdk.

thanks anyway for the help.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
So far I found fire record. The problem is my set top box doesn't show up. Hopefully apples dev site will get unscrewed soon so I can get the latest firewire sdk.

thanks anyway for the help.

I haven't gotten it to control the box. I just do a crash record then trim in edit

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I haven't gotten it to control the box. I just do a crash record then trim in edit

I finally got it working. Turns out I had a bad firewire cable. Swapped the cable and it works. I do have one other problem though. Once the M2t file is on my desktop VLC plays it perfectly. However, when I run it through clipwrap so I can open it in final cut, something really bad is happening to the audio.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
I finally got it working. Turns out I had a bad firewire cable. Swapped the cable and it works. I do have one other problem though. Once the M2t file is on my desktop VLC plays it perfectly. However, when I run it through clipwrap so I can open it in final cut, something really bad is happening to the audio.

I use MPEGStreamClip (free) opens the file, and convert to ProRes or other edit codec based on client needs and go from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.