Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
It's pretty obvious they will be announced very soon (I'm hoping this week) so is anyone else interesting in purchasing one? I'm in need of more power for Photoshop and video editing and am highly considering getting the dual-core model. I currently work on a PowerBook G4 17" 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM so more power would definitely be an awesome addition to my setup. And plus, I've wanted a Power Mac for a while now so this seems like the best time. And no, I am not waiting until the Intel-based desktops are introduced; that's still a long way's off.

I have one question, though: how much more powerful do you think the dual-core models will be than the current dual-cpu models? Also is this a good time to buy a PM? It sure feels like it to me.

Thanks in advance!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
eva01 said:
how is it pretty obvious that they will be released soon o_O

Rumors are strong right now that Power Mac G5's could be going dual-core. Or at least that's what the major sites have been saying, including our little home here. :)

Anyway, I am hoping it's true. I really need a desktop Mac, but I don't want to take the plunge while rumors are saying new models could be released soon.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
All the major "sites" also said we would be using PowerBook G5s years ago. ;)

The only site that counts is http://apple.com/ until we see it there it is nothing but a rumour. Hopefully we will see Dual dual core Power Macs before the switch to Intel, will we though who knows? Anyone remember a certain Dual G5 3 GHz? By the way if Apple do release a Dual dual core G5 does anyone else find it weird that this machine might actually be more powerful than the 1st lot of Mactels?

To answer your questions though no I wouldn't buy 1 I already have a dual G5, it'll be a couple of years at least before I consider upgrading.

I think of all of the Dual G5s as powerful, I guess the low end is powerful, the mid the mid range is damn powerful, the top end if bloody powerful, so I'd say a Dual dual core Power Mac would be ef'n powerful.

Yes I think now is a good time to buy a Power Mac G5, so was yesterday, so was last year, so was 2003 when they were released.

Heres hoping Apple do release a Power Mac Dual dual core G5 so you can buy one, hope you don't have to wait too long. I wonder what people would think if Apple only released a single CPU dual core? Would it of been worth the wait then? I kind of wonder about the Intel Power Mac too, will it be Dual dual core, or just a single CPU? Only time will tell.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
risc said:
All the major "sites" also said we would be using PowerBook G5s years ago. ;)

The only site that counts is http://apple.com/ until we see it there it is nothing but a rumour. Hopefully we will see Dual dual core Power Macs before the switch to Intel, will we though who knows? Anyone remember a certain Dual G5 3 GHz? By the way if Apple do release a Dual dual core G5 does anyone else find it weird that this machine might actually be more powerful than the 1st lot of Mactels?

To answer your questions though no I wouldn't buy 1 I already have a dual G5, it'll be a couple of years at least before I consider upgrading.

I think of all of the Dual G5s as powerful, I guess the low end is powerful, the mid the mid range is damn powerful, the top end if bloody powerful, so I'd say a Dual dual core Power Mac would be ef'n powerful.

Yes I think now is a good time to buy a Power Mac G5, so was yesterday, so was last year, so was 2003 when they were released.

Heres hoping Apple do release a Power Mac Dual dual core G5 so you can buy one, hope you don't have to wait too long. I wonder what people would think if Apple only released a single CPU dual core? Would it of been worth the wait then? I kind of wonder about the Intel Power Mac too, will it be Dual dual core, or just a single CPU? Only time will tell.

PowerBook G5... now we know that'll never happen! LOL My hopes are still strong for a dual-core Power Mac G5. I would get a PM G5 now, but I don't want to make the mistake of getting one and then reading about upgraded models a week later. Apple is too secretive! :p

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
p0intblank said:
PowerBook G5... now we know that'll never happen!

Why not? The low power PPC970 (G5) was released at exactly the same time as the dual core. One could create a rumour about a PowerBook G5 at the moment and it would have just as much weight as one for the Power Mac G5 dual core!

p0intblank said:
I would get a PM G5 now, but I don't want to make the mistake of getting one and then reading about upgraded models a week later.

So how will you feel if you buy 1 next week and they release a new model in 2 weeks? How long do you actually wait? If I need a computer I buy 1!

p0intblank said:
Apple is too secretive!

That is why we love 'em!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
risc said:
Why not? The low power PPC970 (G5) was released at exactly the same time as the dual core. One could create a rumour about a PowerBook G5 at the moment and it would have just as much weight as one for the Power Mac G5 dual core!

So how will you feel if you buy 1 next week and they release a new model in 2 weeks? How long do you actually wait? If I need a computer I buy 1!

That is why we love 'em!

I predict a dual-core G4 PowerBook before a G5, if that even happens. And about buying a PM G5. I want to make sure the purchase is perfect. I'd much rather have a dual dual-core PM than a dual-CPU PM. Patience is a virtue, so I think waiting is my best option. As with Apple keeping secrets, that is why we love them. I love being surprised by their announcements. I just get very impatient sometimes. But don't we all? :p

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
There is a good chance that the Dual-Core G5 will never be put into a Mac.

Think about it... A Dual Core, Dual Processor G5 running at 2.5 GHz? That is essientially 10 GHz of processing power! Imagine encoding video on that sucker!

The problem is that Intel has nothing that can compete with this. Sure they have dual core P4s, but no dual core Xeons yet. (P4s can't be used in a dual processor configuration)

And the P4 has only one memory controller on the northbridge. Even if Intel came out with a dual core Xeon in a dual processor setup, you would be using 4 cores through one memory controller! AHHH! Sure they run at 800 Mhz, but divide that by 4 and you have only 200 Mhz of bandwidth for each core...

It is sad to think what will happen to memory-intensive applications....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.