Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced the launch of two new Mobile Share plan options, including a 300MB and a 2GB data plan, both of which include unlimited talk and text.

First introduced last summer, AT&T's Mobile Share service plans are designed to allow users to share monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plans come with both a monthly data cost and a per-device charge that ranges from $10 to $45 based on the data plan selected and the type of device.

Previously, AT&T's Mobile Share plans started at 1GB of shared data and then jumped to 4GB, so the new options give customers who use less data additional pricing choices. The 300MB option is available for $20 per month with a $50 charge per smartphone bringing the total plan cost to $70 per month, while the 2GB option costs $50 with a $45 charge per smartphone, for a total cost per month of $95.

attpricing.jpg

As AT&T rolls out new Mobile Share plans, its early upgrade pricing has also been gaining some attention. A report from Gotta Be Mobile points out that a number of AT&T customers have begun receiving early device upgrade options, which appear to be part of the 24-month upgrade policy that AT&T introduced last month. AT&T has offered similar early upgrade discounts in the past.
Early upgrades. Once you've completed six months or more of your Service Commitment, you qualify for partial discount off the full retail price when you sign a new two-year wireless agreement.
earlyupgradeattpricing.jpg
Several AT&T iPhone customers have logged in and found themselves eligible for a discount on an upgrade, and according to AT&T, users that have completed at least six months of their contracts should be eligible for a partial discount off of the full retail price of a new device.

It is, however, unclear how AT&T is doling out its early upgrades as it appears to be limited to an upgrade on a phone brand that is already in use (an iPhone user can only early upgrade to another iPhone, for example) and other users have reported not seeing an early upgrade discount at all.

AT&T's new Mobile Share plans will be available beginning on July 26.

Article Link: AT&T Launches Two New Mobile Share Data Plan Options

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
One of these days some company is going to make a cell plan that doesn't require Microsoft Excel to calculate the price. And individuals will rejoice.

Wait, I'm dreaming again....

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Still ridiculously overpriced. Nearly $100 a month for voice/text/2GB data. This is why I still have a "feature" phone. My pre-paid voice plan costs me about $6 per month. I have a Wi-Fi hotspot that costs $30 per month. Since I don't text (aside from iMessage), I'm effectively getting the same plan for 1/3 the cost. The only downside is that I have to carry around multiple devices (phone, iPod Touch, Wi-Fi hotspot). But since that saves me about $720 per year, I'm willing to deal with it. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And everyone in the UK reading this is really happy, because phone contracts are one thing where we are not massively overcharged!

One of these days some company is going to make a cell plan that doesn't require Microsoft Excel to calculate the price. And individuals will rejoice.

Wait, I'm dreaming again....

I just use Numbers :D

It's comforting knowing that every time I fire up the internet while on a 4G connection, I'm making someone somewhere rich.

300 MB is how many seconds exactly on LTE?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So if I switch from my two old unlimited plans I could now afford only 2GB (4GB shared).
They're sure not doing a lot to tempt people off of their unlimited plans are they?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah because people really want to share 300 Mb of data across multiple devices.
There are people that want NO DATA -- they use WiFi.

However, AT&T requires that iPhones have a data plan.

So now customers can pay for 300 MB of data (that they won't use) instead of having to pay for GB of data (that they won't use), which is where the shared plans used to start at.

Seabassthegreat

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Orlando FL
This offer had been around since 2009.. Been working with AT&T since iPhone 3G days..

We offer this to any customer who has completed 6 months of their contract... It's only to get the iPhone though... It never works for any other phone other than iPhone. Especially for out of state accounts...
In some rare cases they make exceptions to get an early upgrade for a non iPhone device...

Took this offer to get iPhone 3GS.. This isn't new... Just saying...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yuck

Just buy your iPhone upfront and use att gophone plans if you want ATT

Save more than 50% on monthly fees unless u have a ridiculous FAN discount.
Of course the cost of the phone needs to be factored in. Just saying

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
this makes no sense...

Best option:
- Buy out the iPhone (Order Online from where you dont pay tax...save another on average $30-$40)
- Go with AT&T $60 GoPhone Plan (Includes LTE, VVM, MMS etc) (I Currently pay average $54 thanks to callingmart coupons every month...another $144 in savings)
- Tether other devices when jailbreak available:D

Costing Approx $2100 over 24months....minus approx $300 for iPhone 5 16GB sold at the end of 24months....total cost...approx = $1900/24months....vs approx $2500 (approx 2200 if iPhone 5 16GB and sold at end of 24months) with this offering of 2GBData...(I think 2GB is minimum anyone should get...)

easily put that $480 saved over 2 years time (if everything done smartly) to better use elsewhere....

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
:eek: i could never afford a phone in the us

and why does it cost more if you add another smartphone? its still the same data?

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
What a rip-off.

Every time they make a new announcement, it's yet another attempt at confusing customers into believing they're getting a bargain when they're really paying more and getting less.

I'm so happy I ditched AT&T for SimpleMobile. I'm paying less than half of what I used to pay and I'm getting more. Their handling of grandfathered "unlimited" plans has been despicable ("throttling" to unusable levels after 2GB). I will never, ever, EVER be an AT&T customer again.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am guessing 300MB is more for individuals with smartphones. $70 for 300MB and unlimited text and voice is $10 more expensive than AT&T's cheapest Individual plan for smartphone (450 minutes without text).

As for family, cheapest 2-line (smartphones) is now $120 for Mobile Share (with 300MB) vs. $100 for Family plan (550 minutes without text).

It's only when you add unlimited text, MobileShare starts to look like a better value ($10 cheaper vs. Individual or Family plan).

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
AT&T is just playing a game of smoke and mirrors.

Keep rapidly changing the structure of pricing to keep consumers guessing and overpaying.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There are people that want NO DATA -- they use WiFi.

However, AT&T requires that iPhones have a data plan.

So now customers can pay for 300 MB of data (that they won't use) instead of having to pay for GB of data (that they won't use), which is where the shared plans used to start at.

In the UK, I can get plans for the iPhone without data easily and cheaply. And if I want to use 3G, I still can get that anytime for £1 a day if I want to; that's £1 every day I turn data on.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
A $36 Upgrade Fee. For what??? This is of course on top of the normal price for a subsidized iPhone plus the extra for upgrading early (which might be a little less with this 'program') How carriers are allowed to charge for these extra fees is criminal.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
In the UK, I can get plans for the iPhone without data easily and cheaply. And if I want to use 3G, I still can get that anytime for £1 a day if I want to; that's £1 every day I turn data on.

Well to be fair you can get a US plan for iPhone without data on the prepaid side. You just can't get a subsidized contract phone with no data

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, be glad only the US carriers do this kind of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.