Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
"U.S. Mac Sales Down in June Despite Introduction of New MacBook Airs"

Giant DUH!

The Airs are a low-power, niche product for students or the off-to-Starbucks set. You can't even buy a good one at an Apple Store. A decent one has to be ordered (Apple, B&H, etc.)

The cMBP is still the best, pro-level laptop Apple makes but no Haswell yet.

The retina MBPs need Haswell for some needed graphics and processing power.

The mini really, really needs Haswell for some needed graphics and processing power.

The Mac Pro has been turned into a limited market ashcan which is not even available for those who want one of the things.

The iMacs have been lowered on the list of computers that the more serious users want due to a laptop HDs and non-user replaceble RAM in the 21.5in model. Neither model has Firewire so you can throw all those old peripherals that Apple "asked" you to buy away.

Just about everyone on the planet knows that the iPhone is about to be replaced. Who would be so stupid as to buy an iPhone 5?

Apple really has nothing to sell right now. Since Apple Stores only carry basic, bottom-of-the-line products you can't even go in to one and fall in love with something that you just have to take home right now.

Sorry Apple, no surprises to this story.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There's simply no reason to upgrade for 2011-2012 owners.

2012 maybe not, but for 2011 users they get USB 3.0, better battery life, significantly better graphics and better SSD. That said I agree that PCs in general have reached a plateau for most people.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Probably because Apple takes FOREVER to update their line, particularliy the iMacs.

These should be out every 6 months, not once a year (or more) that they've been doing.

Furthermore, the current iMacs are gimped. The baseline 21.5 should have 512MB 650M in it AT LEAST. Fusion drive should have been standard, not an extra $250! For those that need more RAM, they want another $200 for only 8 gigs!. So suddenly the baseline iMac jump from $1299 (already $100 higher than normal) to $1749. No thanks to outright gimping the system then tacking on the proper upgrades that should have been there in the first place.

iMac upgrade pricing is ridiculous, especially when they done everything in their power to stop you from upgrading yourself - in effort to get another $200+ out of you. People aren't stupid.

Add to the fact that you can't get ANY upgrade options at an Apple store. I had to order mine online. The Apple store just carries the basic 4 price points, and that's it. Want fusion drive? Got to go online. Need 16GB of RAM? Got to go online. Apple is basically turning customers away from immediate purchases in the store simply because they don't carry the configurations the customers want. But maybe that's their profiting plan.

I waited until the refurb model I wanted showed up and saved some cash. 21.5" with fusion, 16GB RAM and a 650M. Even still, the GPU could have been better. Basline 21.5 with 650M, the next version up should have had the 660M, the 27" should have started with the 675MX, and the next one up should have had the 680MX. But instead, Apple is playing games with the upgrade pricing.

We'll see how my new iMac does when it arrives on Thursday.

Last edited:

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I can see how a lot of people who hadn't had a lot of use for a computer (desktop or laptop) for much more than email and web browsing are taking up with iPads and iPhone (other bands may be available) but what about creatives? If everyone goes for mobile computing where is the content to be created?, who renders stunning games on an iPad (in the foreseeable future)?

I know it's not mass market but will Apple give up the Pro ground so easily?
I know there's a new MP coming soon but there is a lot of speculation this could be the beginning of the end. I don't think it's that imminent as they wouldn't start off a new form factor for one iteration.

There will always be a need for new Macs...so long as Apple wants to stay in the game.
Perhaps the refresh cycle should be longer? Make every new Mac a real upgrade rather than people thinking it's not worth changing computers for a speed blip.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
If Apple would've released a Haswell iMac they'd have my money already.

Not saying that they're wrong to wait till fall. Just wishful thinking.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Probably because Apple takes FOREVER to update their line, particularliy the iMacs.

These should be out every 6 months, not once a year (or more) that they've been doing.

Furthermore, the current iMacs are gimped. The baseline 21.5 should have 512MB 650M in it AT LEAST. Fusion drive should have been standard, not an extra $250! For those that need more RAM, they want another $200 for only 8 gigs!. So suddenly the baseline iMac jump from $1299 (already $100 higher than normal) to $1749. No thanks to outright gimping the system then tacking on the proper upgrades that should have been there in the first place.

iMac upgrade pricing is ridiculous, especially when they done everything in their power to stop you from upgrading yourself - in effort to get another $200+ out of you. People aren't stupid.

I waited until the refurb model I wanted showed up and saved some cash. 21.5" with fusion, 16GB RAM and a 650M. Even still, the GPU could have been better. We'll see how it does when it arrives on Thursday.

I don't want "Fusion", just a cheap hard drive and I'll replace it with what fits my needs.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

I waited until the refurb model I wanted showed up and saved some cash. 21.5" with fusion, 16GB RAM and a 650M. Even still, the GPU could have been better. We'll see how it does when it arrives on Thursday.

I completely agree except for the fusion drives and the VRAM should be at least 1GB by now.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
I think this really is the core of the issue outside the pro laptop and desktop consumers. The pro numbers reflect the lack of updates.

Without the updated Macs/OS X how do you suppose developers will take full advantage of the new API's in iOS? They need to be current to power the iOS App store.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
I think it's simple.... Computer sales are bad across the board for the most part. Their lasting longer and it's just not needed to upgrade a computer all the time. Plus, I think many customers are moving to mobile computing which again is slowing desktop and laptop sales.

Apple needs to continue it's focus on iPhones and iPads to win and they need to give their current customers a good reason to upgrade their workstations and laptops... maybe that will come soon?

When you have a company only concerned with making desktops thinner - and reducing functionality (removal of optical drives etc), instead of addressing other issues, it's hardly surprising!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'm in the group that is waiting to upgrade. I'm ready to buy a 15" rMBP, a new Thunderbolt display and an iPad 5. Probably close to $5k.

I'll be giving up a 2010 17" MBP. Kind of sad to give up that large screen which is why I'll get the Thunderbolt display for home. 24" would be nice but I'll take what they offer.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
They have a serious hole in their lineup as people are still resistant to drop the optical drive. I don't mind not having one on a laptop but many people do and the old style pro just looks ancient next to the air (no optical drive) and the rMBP (too expensive and no optical drive). The iMac never should have lost its drive as it was simply to make it APPEAR thin which was imo a very poor choice. Also the less cool that iPhones are the less people will want to buy macs and imo iPhones are appearing less cool all the time due to their stale hardware. Apple needs to take this seriously, they still make a ton of money but the slope is slippery just ask RIM. The reason is certainly NOT that people are waiting for a refresh. Only people on here do that and techies are the minority of Apples customers, the average person doesn't know what Haswell is, and doesn't know that there is a refresh due, and doesn't know that a macbook pro from this year vs from 3 years ago is different because they all look the same and all browse the web and send emails and watch youtube equally well. Also they haven't been pushing the malware aspect in a few years which I honestly think those ads made people buy macs over windows and Apple marketing has abandoned them

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
When you have a company only concerned with making desktops thinner - and reducing functionality (removal of optical drives etc), instead of addressing other issues, it's hardly surprising!

Oh really. The average Joe cares about an optical drive? I've only used mine once the entire year. The issue is tablets are eating away sales, especially considering an iPad costs 500 bucks less than the air. The entire pc market is down, and of course macs will take the biggest hit as the costliest of the market.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
They have a serious hole in their lineup as people are still resistant to drop the optical drive. I don't mind not having one on a laptop but many people do and the old style pro just looks ancient next to the air (no optical drive) and the rMBP (too expensive and no optical drive). The iMac never should have lost its drive as it was simply to make it APPEAR thin which was imo a very poor choice. Also the less cool that iPhones are the less people will want to buy macs and imo iPhones are appearing less cool all the time due to their stale hardware. Apple needs to take this seriously, they still make a ton of money but the slope is slippery just ask RIM

Yep, I think people feel their desktop should have an optical drive. The forced $80 for the external drive is insane. I'm sure homes use the optical drive for movies and CD rips. iMac has no business being thin.

Crusheraxe

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
Simple reason to expensive

All Apple stuff is not that unique. The design is great and Apple suff works great is everthing is Apple. But the price is way to high, at 27" imac with some simple upgrades 2300 euro. for just a desktop.

And iphone and notebooks the same, other brands are as good or better. why an iphone with Apple or Apple TV locked software.

Why waiting for Haswell on a Imac, it is bassed to use for mobile devices.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Yep, I think people feel their desktop should have an optical drive. The forced $80 for the external drive is insane. I'm sure homes use the optical drive for movies and CD rips. iMac has no business being thin.

I would have to agree. On a desktop, this is most surely a premature gesture. Tablets are eating away laptop sales, thats's happening everywhere.

Wrong. CPUs are not fast enough.

Are you saying that the CPU's in older computer aren't fast enough? Or that the current CPU's still are fast enough and that's why nobody is buying them?

Because for my personal needs, my C2D from 2007 has actually held up pretty well. Yeah there are slow downs every now and then, and I do baby the system a bit by closing apps when I don't need them. But for the minimal amount of work I do, it's enough.

The main motivating factors for me to upgrade are (in decending order)
1)Get the latest OS/features (still stuck on Lion)
2)Get the multitouch trackpad for new gesture support (still have the buttoned trackpad)
3)Batterylife/improved charging ability (My mac doesn't want to charge sometimes)
4) Faster processor/ssd. This falls to number 4 on my list
5) Slim, sleek, aluminum, body
6) backlit keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.