Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fullsmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Odd question/scenario:

I am recovering from a HD crash and I decided to just manually copy over a TM backup from an external HD so that I could manually sort the files I want to keep. I copied a folder, one of the dated ones (e.g. 2012-05-10...).

At first, it asked me for my admin password which I thought was odd but I thought it was because there was movement of old system files. Then I noticed things popping up in my Trash. Then an error box popped up asking me if I wanted to replace a file or not... Now that was weird. I ended up stopping the whole copy process as I was afraid somehow these files were overwriting my current OS files.

I thought that the folder would just copy over like any other folder but it seems as if I am wrong. What happened when I copied over the backup folder?

Thanks

P.S. I am running Mountain Lion. The backup I was copying over was from Snow Leopard.

fullsmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
EDIT:

The things popping up in my Trash was because the external HD had some items in its trash can. :slap head:

However, I guess my question is: nothing on my Mac should have been modified due to me copying over an old TM backup, right? (I dragged the backup folder to my desktop and eventually cancelled it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.