Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its latest report on Apple, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) surveyed a number of recent purchasers of Apple products to determine U.S. buyer's purchasing habits regarding preferred capacity and model of a variety of Apple products.

Among other things, the survey found that the iPhone 5 accounted for just 52% of iPhones purchased in June 2013 -- back in October, just after the iPhone 5 had launched, the new device commanded some 68% of iPhone purchases. In June, 30% of iPhone sales were from the 4S, while 18% were from the 4.

iPhonePurchase.png
The iPhone 4 and 4S aren't the only older iOS devices to be seeing significant sales success. The iPad 2, which is particularly popular in educational and enterprise environments, accounted for 34% of total iPad sales in June. The Retina iPad and iPad mini each counted for a third of total sales.

iphonepurchasebymodel.png
The 16GB capacity iPad is by far the most popular model, with the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB models accounting for 28%, 11% and 2% of total sales respectively.

ipadmodelbystorage.png
Finally, though the Mac Pro has not been significantly updated in several years, it still accounts for 5% of total Mac sales, according to the survey -- and is more popular than the Mac mini. The MacBook Pro makes up 70% of Apple's notebook sales, with more than half of those sales going to the Retina display-equipped models.

macpurchasebymodel.png
Apple does not break down sales by model, and though this data is from a survey and not company-provided, it gives some insight into the sales preferences of Apple's customers.

Article Link: Survey Shows Older and Cheaper iPhones and iPads Remain Popular, MacBook Pro is Best-Selling Mac

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
It's funny because I've always said it and so do most of my colleagues: the iphone 5 is nice but the 4s is better, just feels more solid and has perfect weight. I went on holiday and had to take some pics from a boat in Greece and the 4s felt great to snap from but the 5 felt like I could drop it. The camera is better on the 5 of course and noticeably so. I bought the 5 for my gf but I would not buy it for myself but would definitely buy a revamped 4s body in future. Shame about the buzzing/interference sound when you make a phone call, they never fixed that and there are thousands of posts about it.

Very happy with my Ipad2, had been the only Apple hardware that has not had any issue other than the retina mbp and I have been through quite a few of their devices.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

A 15" screen. 16GB of RAM. Quad-Core CPUs. Dual-Core CPUs > 1.7GHz. A Retina display. You know, Pro stuff.

Last edited:

Philoman

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
It is unbelievable that Mac Mini sale is so low. Also lower than the Dec 2012 figure. I though the 2012 Mac Mini would have done much better due to its improvement on its performance.

I am thinking Apple did not market the 2012 Mac Mini properly or this survey is not accurate.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
There is no way the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini.

I think they surveyed people who said 'Mac Pro' and meant 'Macbook Pro' is a far more likely explanation.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I don't understand.

CDs/DVDs and Ethernet ports are still a thing and it has the lowest entry price point to the Pro line. All in, the 13" MBP still provides good value for budget buyers. Even more so if you're a student. Especially since the White MacBook disappeared.

Not everyone wants to spend more to find external solutions for stuff that should arguably be built in already.

Last edited:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
A 15" screen. 16GB of RAM. Quad-Core CPUs. Dual-Core CPUs > 1.7GHz. A Retina display. You know, Pro stuff.
cmbp has always been popular
I don't understand.

The Pro is upgradable that could be a factor.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm surprised the older iPhones sell so well, especially in the US where there are two year carrier contracts. When one considers the amount paid over the life of a two year contract the extra $100 to go for the 5 as opposed to the 4S seems almost trivial.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I wonder why Apple is making a low-cost iPhone ......

I predict the plastic iPhone will be incredibly popular maybe even the most popular.

If I am correct, I must be a prophet.

Anyways,

What are the internal differences of the mbp that require it to be thicker than the air?

Display- that should not make it any thicker.
Higher power CPU - guess
More ports??

Obviously the 650m in the 15 requires it to be thicker.

I am trying to decide between buying an air and a mbp. I am trying to decide between portability vs retina display. It's a tough decision. I really wish the air had a little higher resolution :/

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

I predict the plastic iPhone will be incredibly popular maybe even the most popular.

Anyways,

What are the internal differences of the mbp that require it to be thicker than the air?

Higher power CPU - guess
More ports??

I am trying to decide between buying an air and a mbp. I am trying to decide between portability vs retina display. It's a tough decision. I really wish the air had a little higher resolution :/

let the decision linger until the new rMBP is announced

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

Anyways,

Higher power CPU - guess
More ports??

Higher end CPU and GPU requiring a larger battery. Also, the MBP's ventilation system is rather... Elaborate. That takes up some room too.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I don't understand.

Many people prefer having half their computer in their computer.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Anyways,

Higher power CPU - guess
More ports??

The 13" rMBP is just as portable as the MBA, but has an indefinitely more beautiful screen and blaster processing while being about the same price (bottom-end 2.5GHz vs top-end 1.7GHz).

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I don't believe the numbers of this survey for a second, they just don't make sense.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Finally, though the Mac Pro has not been significantly updated in several years, it still accounts for 5% of total Mac sales, according to the survey -- and is more popular than the Mac mini.

The Mac mini could be so much more if Apple made higher spec options and made it more gamer friendly.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm in the "these numbers don't make sense" category.

It seems truly insane that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini.

And that the MacBook Pro outsells the MacBook Air.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010

Notice I said 13" MBP.

The air is faster than the 2+ ghz processors in the entry level MBP. It's not all about clock speeds. That's even before considering the improvements the new PCIe.

I get so frustrated when friends buy a fat MBP just because they're scared of not having the word 'pro' in the name

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.