Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

Mac Pro has higher performance, and is user upgradable. Some people want/need DVD-drives too, and don't want to mess with external crap.

Edit: They also has more ports (Ethernet, Audio In, FireWire).

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
no doubt they're still popular, their price point is the thing which attracts people who dont wanna buy the $1000+ latest iphone.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Only 0-1% don't know how much storage is in their iPhone? I have a hard time believing that, and I know a lot about surveys... This number should be higher (at least 4-5%).

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not buying those Mac mini numbers. The mini rocks! Especially since I just bought one. :)

Remel

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Western Australia
Who did they survey?

It is unbelievable that Mac Mini sale is so low. Also lower than the Dec 2012 figure. I though the 2012 Mac Mini would have done much better due to its improvement on its performance.

I am thinking Apple did not market the 2012 Mac Mini properly or this survey is not accurate.

I also found it hard to believe. I wonder if it relates to who they surveyed. Perhaps it was more skewed to professionals in the industries that tend to use more powerful machines.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

Some like internal superdrive's, wired ethernet, FW and the ability to purchase industry standard HDD's/SSD's and RAM. I don't see what so appealing about a MBA.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Mac Pro has higher performance, and is user upgradable. Some people want/need DVD-drives too, and don't want to mess with external crap.

Edit: They also has more ports (Ethernet, Audio In, FireWire).

Ah yes, like the Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports...

or not.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

16GB RAM and having to always carry around adapters and external drive(s) is very annoying and makes the Air less portable than the MBP. IMO, there are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBA over the MBP :)

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
The Mac mini could be so much more if Apple made higher spec options and made it more gamer friendly.

Yet it is up to game developers to release on the Mac platform. The way i see it, you can easily hook up a xbox 360 controller via bluetooth, and then there is Steam. Steam Big Picture hides the OS while using it, sort of overlaying it's own OS, which is very basic and console like.
So, all in all it could atleast be a nice steambox, depending on what specs the mac mini has, and what the games require.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
At one point it was rumored the 13inch mbp. Was going to get slightly thinner to match the 15?

Anyone have any info on this?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm surprised the older iPhones sell so well, especially in the US where there are two year carrier contracts. When one considers the amount paid over the life of a two year contract the extra $100 to go for the 5 as opposed to the 4S seems almost trivial.

That's the thing. Most buyers in the US don't look at the monthly price of the rate plan where the true cost of the phone is hidden, they just look at the upfront cost and see FREE and get an iPhone 4 or a 4S. Most only care about the initial upfront price.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
That's the thing. Most buyers in the US don't look at the monthly price of the rate plan where the true cost of the phone is hidden, they just look at the upfront cost and see FREE and get an iPhone 4 or a 4S. Most only care about the initial upfront price.

How many years will it take for people to think about such things, kind of common sense my entire life. Free does not mean too much with a two year contract and a phone already two years old and four by the time the contract is over. I would be more concerned with saving on an overpriced phone plan than a hundred dollars on a phone.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The MacBook Pro makes up 70% of Apple's notebook sales, with more than half of those sales going to the Retina display-equipped models.

If they replaced the 13" MBP with a 17" model so we had 11" & 13" MBA and 15" & 17" MBP, the sales distribution would be more even between MBA and MBP. The 13" MBP is simply cannibalising sales of the 13" MBA.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

That's because most cell plans don't have any kind of discount for those that bring your own phones. If you're upgrading from a previous smart phone your only cost in addition to your cellular plan is the discount price of the phone.

If you don't care about the latest and greatest, you can get yourself a free or nearly free phone every two years. That's a big thing for a lot of people.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I don't understand.

Actually, I don't understand why people would get a 13" MBA over 13" rMBP.
The rMBP costs you $200 more, yes .. but it gives you much much better screen, speedier processor and 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB in MBA.

For $1299, 13" MBA has a lot of undercut and inferior specs. So why not go up one level with $1499 and get all the benefits?

There seem very few valid reasons to buy 13" MBA actually :eek:

kgtenacious

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
iDevices aside, it's no surprise that the models that are still user upgradeable have the edge.

I considered getting the rMBP, but when I saw that any memory increases or drive upgrades had to be done by Apple at initial purchase, I didn't buy.

Still with my early 2011 15" MBP - picked the one with the fastest processor, with the standard amount of memory and hard drive size, then maxed the memory on my own, bought an SSD and pulled out the standard hard drive.

No one wants to be forced to pay the Apple premium for memory increases and SDD size increases. Apple simply charges too much for those upgrades at initial purchase.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
The 13" rMBP is just as portable as the MBA, but has an indefinitely more beautiful screen and blaster processing while being about the same price (bottom-end 2.5GHz vs top-end 1.7GHz).

PLUS it can be user upgradable for RAM and storage..... That's a plus over the retina MacBooks as well.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
This study is inaccurate. The Mac Mini outsells the Mac Pro by a large margin. Just look at sales via any of the online retailers.

Either this study didn't use a random sample, the data is just wrong, or someone screwed up when compiling it.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Actually, I don't understand why people would get a 13" MBA over 13" rMBP.
The rMBP costs you $200 more, yes .. but it gives you much much better screen, speedier processor and 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB in MBA.

For $1299, 13" MBA has a lot of undercut and inferior specs. So why not go up one level with $1499 and get all the benefits?

There seem very few valid reasons to buy 13" MBA actually :eek:

I agree that the 13" retina is an incredible machine and is a good option for some people over the air. However, until its updated with Haswell, I'm not sure it's as cut-and-dry as you make it sound...

That $200 jump loses you $128 gb of internal internal storage. Also, the processor change is not much of an increase in power. The new benchmarks put the air processors very very close if not beyond the processors in the retina. Also, the PCIe storage in the air is faster than the retina.

Lets not forget to mention battery life and size differences

The screen improvements are subjective. More glare and less overall real-estate on the retina. Also, you lose some performance when you make the computer process so many pixels.

I personally would choose the screen on the retina because I prefer the deep blacks. But I wouldn't cry over using the air's screen

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Its a bit suspect to claim that the percentages are for said month's sales.

the Mini and 4th gen iPads starting selling in November. yet the chart shows 0 sales and it was the 3rd gen selling instead.

While stores were clearing out the 3rd gen models in November, its bit odd that no one bought the newer ones.

Its far more likely the surveyed sales covered the month prior.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
I'm not surprised. Each individual has to evaluate their own needs and wants.
I see a reason to get the cmbp, rmbp13, rmbp15, mac mini, mac air, and imac.

I got a mac air. So, one more bump for that model :)

When I get my 27" Ultra-sharp, I'm gonna refer my mac air 13 as rmbp 27.:eek:

I know. Sacrilege. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Where do these guys get their numbers from?

I didn't see a link to their research, but I think they get their numbers by standing outside of the Apple store and asking people what they purchased.

When Apple themselves don't provide any numbers, that's all these guys have left to conduct their "research". I have seen them outside of the Fifth Avenue store looking for information, so who knows which stores they went to on which days, but when the article says "recent purchasers" of Apple products that's exactly what they're referring to.

With such a low tech way of gathering data, and it's not hard to imagine that it's probably very inaccurate, as well. It would also explain how confused we all are at the findings! :)

This study is inaccurate. The Mac Mini outsells the Mac Pro by a large margin. Just look at sales via any of the online retailers.

Either this study didn't use a random sample, the data is just wrong, or someone screwed up when compiling it.

Yep.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
That's no surprise to me. My oldest Mac is a late 2008 MBP and I am still using an iPhone 3GS 32GB.

It is definitely time for my slightly beat MBP to be replaced. I prefer the cMBP over an Air or Retina due to the number of ports and the ability to upgrade both storage and memory. At $1200 the cheapest 13 inch MBP is a much better machine for my use than a Retina or BTO Air at a higher cost.

It is also time for a new phone. I buy hi-res music and 32GB just does not hold enough music for me so that is my excuse to get a new phone. Once the 5S specs are released I will decide whether to get a 5S or save $100 and gen a 5.

The MBP and iPhone have worked almost flawlessly for me for several years. I can see why they are so popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.