Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philip Elmer-Dewitt has assembled his quarterly list of analyst predictions ahead of Apple's earnings report this afternoon. The list includes estimates from 59 analysts: 21 "independent" and 38 "institutional" who work for large investment houses or research organizations.

Apple's stock price remains down significantly from its highs of last year, and investors are concerned about Apple's growth prospects across both existing and potential new product lines.

As far as hardware goes, Apple only introduced new MacBook Air models during the past quarter, and only in the final month. The company is not expected to introduce new iPhone models -- its financial bread and butter -- before the last month of Q4.

Q3Summary.png
Two quarters ago, Apple changed how it provides financial guidance, choosing to offer a range of guidance for what the company believes it can achieve, rather than a point prediction. Apple provided guidance for the third quarter for revenue of between $33.5 and $35.5 billion and gross margin between 36% and 37%.

Last year, in the third quarter of 2012, Apple reported a profit of $8.8 billion on $35 billion in revenue.

Apple will announce its earnings for the third fiscal quarter of 2013 (second calendar quarter of 2012) and host a conference call regarding the release this afternoon at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific. The earnings release itself typically comes in around 4:30 PM Eastern. MacRumors will have live coverage of the proceedings.

Article Link: Roundup of Analyst Expectations Ahead of Q3 2013 Earnings Call

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
So that's 10pm BST right?
I'll be back around 11pm then to see if there's any retina goodness to be had.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Oh man, here we go again. Now the expectations have gone down so low, I wonder if Apple will surprise us to the up side this time.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I hope Apple at least meets its own financial guidance, or things will get ugly real fast....unless they forecast above expectations for the current or next quarter...in which case the stock should go up even if they didn't meet last quarter's forecast.

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA
What are the odds that the Dev Portal will before the Earnings so that they don't have to respond to questions.

One can hope, no?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
One would think that with the dearth of new products, that Apple would be improving its cost structure. It doesn't seem like we are seeing that effect in these gradually eroding gross margins. But I'm optimistic iPhone and iPad sales will be better than expected. Certainly in the US we already have the reports from Verizon of large sales and T-Mobile as been added to the mix.

I will be refreshing every five minutes starting at 4:30 to get the report.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I think it would be fair to say that Apple's own EPS guidance was about $6.58 - $7.50. I say about only because we don't have an estimate (from Apple) for the number of (diluted) shares that will be used in the EPS computation.

As they suggested in a previous conference call, if someone wants their effective EPS guidance it only requires a bit of arithmetic based on the guidance they gave for revenue, gross margin, operating expenses, other income, and tax rate.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Talk about going private

Stock price. Harrumph.

If anyone should it's Apple, not Dell.

Wouldn't it just be Apple's style? Use a system that serves it's purpose for the time, and then drop it like a bad habit the moment it becomes feasible to do so.

Last edited:

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Stock is going to take a hit. You can tell Apple isn't happy with what they're going to release because of the slew of recent controlled leaks that have come out, testing larger iPhone and iPad.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Quick survey: how many people are more than 30% underwater on their AAPL?

LOL

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Oh man, here we go again. Now the expectations have gone down so low, I wonder if Apple will surprise us to the up side this time.

correction: now that expectations are so low, they're actually within Apple's realistic guidance. that's the world I live in.

It's like if you told your parents, hey i expect to get a B+ for the quarter, I know this because of all the work and grades I've gotten so far and they still expect you to get an A and are disappointed when you come home with a B+

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Quick survey: how many people are more than 30% underwater on their AAPL?

LOL

Probably not that many, really. Only people who bought it at the absolute highest point around $700 would be in that situation. Mine's gone down that much recently but since I bought all my AAPL well under $400 I'm still in profit territory. And as it went over $600 I think a lot of people (especially smaller investors) were starting to feel it was overpriced and didn't buy, even if they wanted to own the stock.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
Has Apple every announced product updates on these earnings calls? A Haswell update to the MacBook Pro line wouldn't be out of the question, but maybe they will wait until they release the updated iPad in a month or two, or as part of the iPhone event. They didn't do themselves any favors by updating most of their product lines last fall and then not announcing anything new until Haswell. I think most analysts are tools, but Apple has to recognize that staying in the news cycle is an important part of their marketing strategy. Perception is reality for many consumers.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Has Apple every announced product updates on these earnings calls? A Haswell update to the MacBook Pro line wouldn't be out of the question, but maybe they will wait until they release the updated iPad in a month or two, or as part of the iPhone event. They didn't do themselves any favors by updating most of their product lines last fall and then not announcing anything new until Haswell. I think most analysts are tools, but Apple has to recognize that staying in the news cycle is an important part of their marketing strategy. Perception is reality for many consumers.

depends if most consumers are stock buyers.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Sadly it seems nothing Apple could realistically announce later will change this. It feels almost pre-programmed. The sharks are circling...

which means it is either a good time to buy now, in case they bust out with surprise awesome numbers, or buy after investors are pissed at results. People love to hate apple, I bet the stock will rise up eventually, just hard to know when it's at the bottom, or when people will realize apple is awesome at making money again.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
The biggest thing to look for in this earnings statement isn't earnings, it's guidance. next quarter has to be big, it's back to school season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.