Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I've asked this over in the OS X 10.9 forum and haven't really gotten an answer...

Currently I'm running Snow Leopard on my 2009 MBP. I'm a college student, so I use MS Office 2008 (particularly Word) quite a bit. I've never used iWork, and I don't really want to switch.

I've recently upgraded the RAM in my machine and had been planning to upgrade to Mountain Lion prior to WWDC. With the announcement of Mavericks (and assuming my machine can run it) I've been thinking about waiting for its release instead of ML.

What I need to know is if Office 08 will run on Mavericks or if I need to upgrade to 2011. I can get a copy of 2011 from my school's bookstore for $11.99, so upgrade cost isn't really an issue.

I'm not looking for suggestions to use iWork, OpenOffice, Libre Office, etc. I need Office files for online submission.

Last edited:

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Office 2008 is compatible with both Lion and Mountain Lion, so it should work. Keep in mind that Microslurp no longer supports Office 2008 for Mac, so you might want to look at upgrading to Office 2011 for Mac.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Not always an improvement

An upgrade or update is not always an improvement and nothing proves this best than the move to 10.8...who knows about the next OS? I suspect it will have some kind of direct connect to facebook and twitter and perhaps the ability to move your calendar to facebook. To me and older users, this is worthless and you wonder what applications will be negatively affected and will need another update to fix those things.
A change is not always an improvement as much as you would like it to be.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
An upgrade or update is not always an improvement and nothing proves this best than the move to 10.8...who knows about the next OS? I suspect it will have some kind of direct connect to facebook and twitter and perhaps the ability to move your calendar to facebook. To me and older users, this is worthless and you wonder what applications will be negatively affected and will need another update to fix those things.
A change is not always an improvement as much as you would like it to be.

Exactly how does age figure in? It would seem that your opinion is derogatory to those of us past some magic age. Your post would be better if you changed it to "To me, this is worthless".

BTW: There hasn't been an OSX upgrade yet that I didn't think was an improvement.

/Jim

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Nobody knows.....

for sure right now. I wont hold my breath waiting a word from Microsoft, just because they ended support. If price is not a problem, mabe you will fare better with the 2011 version. This is supported, at least.

:):apple:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What I need to know is if Office 08 will run on Mavericks or if I need to upgrade to 2011. I can get a copy of 2011 from my school's bookstore for $11.99, so upgrade cost isn't really an issue.
At that price, I'd say go for the upgrade to Office. It will give you better compatibility with the latest version of Office for Windows.

Also, since '08 is no longer supported, the question isn't will it work. It's how soon will it stop working. It could work in 10.9, but break in 10.9.1 or 10.9.2.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
At that price, I'd say go for the upgrade to Office. It will give you better compatibility with the latest version of Office for Windows.

Also, since '08 is no longer supported, the question isn't will it work. It's how soon will it stop working. It could work in 10.9, but break in 10.9.1 or 10.9.2.

I went ahead and got the upgrade. Keeping 08 around while I'm still running SL just to make sure I can open important documents still.

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Roaring Apps is your friend

I've found this site to be useful in the past for questions like these:

Roaring Apps

and specifically for Microsoft Office compatibility here:

Microsoft Office Compatibility

The site has not yet been updated for Mavericks, but they usually post this info prior to the actual public release date. Not affiliated with their site, but I'm assuming they will update those charts for Mavericks. Hope that helps.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
iWork 08

iWork 2008 (Pages and Numbers) loads on my Mini with Lion 10.7.5 but does not accept input. What is up with that? I will not upgrade, because my main applications are MS Office and OpenOffice.

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Word 2008 on my 2009 MacPro running Mavericks is intolerably slow to launch. I have timed it taking between 70 and 75 minutes to launch on my machine. Not lying. Not exaggerating. When I first got my Mac, it ran Leopard, under which Word ran fine. With each subsequent OS release it took longer and longer. Otherwise, it still functions reliably once its opened.

I've heard Office 2015 will be released this fall. I'll be upgrading. Until then, "Hello, Pages."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.