Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the introduction of T-Mobile's "Jump" and AT&T's "Next" early upgrade programs, T-Mobile has launched a new anti-AT&T ad campaign that calls the company's Next policies "calculating, sneaky, and underhanded," reports AllThingsD.

First introduced last week, Next is AT&T's answer to Jump, a T-Mobile program that allows users to upgrade their phones at regular intervals with a $10 monthly fee. Like Jump, Next provides AT&T users with an option to upgrade their phones more frequently, but its $32.50 monthly charge is on top of standard monthly fees, ultimately causing customers to pay double for their devices.

A comparison of the two plans reveals that a T-Mobile customer using Jump would pay $518 for a 16 GB iPhone 5 over the course of a year while a customer using Next would pay $630, a premium of $112. With both plans, customers have to trade in existing devices and pay the monthly fees in order to obtain an upgrade.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere has been vocal about AT&T Next since its debut, releasing a number of tweets condemning the program. The company's newest ad includes a quote from The Verge that Legere highlighted last week: "AT&T's reaction to T-Mobile's transparency is to be more deceptive than ever."

tmobileantiattad.jpg
Verizon has also introduced an upgrade program called "Edge," which shares similarities with AT&T's Next program. A 16 GB iPhone 5 costs $565 on the plan. According to T-Mobile marketing chief Mike Sievert, Verizon will be targeted in ads set to run later this week.

"There are real and material differences between what we are doing and the so-called upgrade programs that AT&T and Verizon are doing," he said.

T-Mobile and AT&T have an ongoing feud that originally began in 2011 after AT&T was unable to purchase the T-Mobile network due to objections from the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.

Tensions ramped up in January after Legere called the AT&T network "crap," leading to an advertising war between the two companies as T-Mobile unveiled its "Un-Carrier" policies, designed to decouple device fees from service fees.

Article Link: T-Mobile Launches New Ad Calling AT&T's 'Next' Upgrade Program 'Calculating, Sneaky, and Underhanded'

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
AT&T has really been horrible recently for me,

Noticeably slower, crappy support, all while being with them for years!

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Because attacking your competition in the media looks really good to consumers.

I'd shy away from them just because of their ad stance.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This **** is turning into an episode out of "Melrose Place." Aaron Spelling would be proud.

Attachments

• tumblr_mlrwo7jyoW1rfno67o5_250.gif
    tumblr_mlrwo7jyoW1rfno67o5_250.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,594
Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've owned every iPhone since the 2nd-generation but this year I will not upgrade regardless of what "incentive" these companies are offering. I signed up for a new 2-year agreement last September, when I got the iPhone 5, but I don't want to pay a penny more to AT&T (on top of the phone subsidy) for an iPhone 5S. I'll gladly sit this one out and wait for an iPhone 6 and not pay ridiculous fees.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
T-mobile would be a lot more enticing if their coverage wasn't so terrible where I live, and if I actually felt the need to upgrade my phone more often than once every two years.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I hope Verizon and AT&T both bring down the cost of these plans and/or reduce the data plans cost with the plan.

So how I doubt that will happen.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
When my contract expires w/ AT&T this year, I am moving to T-mobile...

AT&T is truly a greedy corp, not that all companies aren't but AT&T is truly the worst of the worst.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Paying that much and still having to turn in the phone is a deal breaker on any network.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007

In most cases I would agree with you. I've been a happy AT&T customer for years (I know, SHOCKING!) but they really do deserve to be called out on their Next program.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Wait so you have to pay $630 for an iphone 5 AND then you have to trade it in at the end of the year? Seriously? That is absurd

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'm liking T-Mobile's attitude more and more as time goes by. If I can be convinced their network is in good shape, I may just switch to them next year when my contract with AT&T expires.

A bold new approach to data usage would seal the deal. My proposal: drop bandwidth-based data plans and go with unlimited data with priority-based throttling. Based on your amount of usage, the system could throttle your bandwidth on as as-needed basis during peak times, while giving you essentially unlimited unthrottled use during non-peak times. I mean, why should data transmitted over a virtually empty network at, say 4am be treated the same as heavy usage time during the middle of the day?

With such a scheme, those who make the heaviest use during peak times would see their speeds throttled accordingly to give other folks a chance, but be perfectly free to go with heavy use in light periods. True power users could pay for a premium level of service that increases their base priority or limits the amount of throttling they can be subject to.

It's simpler and fairer for the customer, and there's no reason this can't be built into any kind of modern computing system.

jackwagen0

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Had AT&T for a year after the iPhone 4 came out. Went back to Verizon once they got the iPhone. AT&T is seriously that bad.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I'm recently engaged and will have to start my own family plan soon when I'm free of contact in less than a year. I will be considering T-MOBILE or the StraitTalk network (which is basically t-mobile)..

Last edited:

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004

That just proves you don't know anything about advertising. Were you just born yesterday?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I'm liking T-Mobile's attitude more and more as time goes by. If I can be convinced their network is in good shape, I may just switch to them next year when my contract with AT&T expires.

A bold new approach to data usage would seal the deal. My proposal: drop bandwidth-based data plans and go with unlimited data with priority-based throttling. Based on your amount of usage, the system could throttle your bandwidth on as as-needed basis during peak times, while giving you essentially unlimited unthrottled use during non-peak times. I mean, why should data transmitted over a virtually empty network at, say 4am be treated the same as heavy usage time during the middle of the day?

With such a scheme, those who make the heaviest use during peak times would see their speeds throttled accordingly to give other folks a chance, but be perfectly free to go with heavy use in light periods. True power users could pay for a premium level of service that increases their base priority or limits the amount of throttling they can be subject to.

It's simpler and fairer for the customer, and there's no reason this can't be built into any kind of modern computing system.

Sounds good in a Utopian world but this is AT&T we're talking about. They'd throttle everyone just to save bandwidth. Their "algorithm" would be a trade secret so no one could technically pin it on them.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
They speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

That being said, T-Mobile isn't always the cream of the crop either.

Last edited:

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
When my contract expires w/ AT&T this year, I am moving to T-mobile...

AT&T is truly a greedy corp, not that all companies aren't but AT&T is truly the worst of the worst.

I'm jumping ship too, I'll take somewhat spotty service(in my area) versus a higher bill for no real reason. Also don't want to give anymore money to AT&T and their garbage they keep spitting out.

Also my service has been iffy lately with them, sometimes I can have 5 bars of "4g" and can't even get on Facebook or load a webpage in a rural area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.