Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestoreapp.jpg
Apple has released an updated version of its Apple Store app for the iPhone, which is said to include both performance enhancements and improved product search capabilities. The Apple Store app allows users to purchase Apple products quickly and efficiently on their iPhones.

News of an upgrade first came to light last week, with a report that suggested Apple would begin offering free downloads within the App, including content from Apple's iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore.

While the app appears to be the same on the surface, it is entirely possible that Apple has included the framework that will support the addition of new deals and offerings within the app in the near future. 9to5Mac suggests the possibility that free content may only be shown when a customer is inside a brick-and-mortar Apple Store.

Apple is said to be overhauling the app as part of its incentivization efforts designed to increase its number of in-store iPhone sales. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, iPhones are an important "gateway product" that lead customers to purchase other Apple products.

At the current point in time, only a small percentage of iPhones are sold in Apple Stores, with the majority of sales coming from third party locations like carrier stores and electronics retailers. By offering free content in its Apple Store app, Apple can draw customers in to view and purchase additional Apple devices.

In an effort to increase iPhone sales Apple has begun including the iPhone in its annual Back to School program, allowing eligible education customers to receive a $50 gift card that can be used to purchase music, books, or apps.

Apple is also planning to implement a new iPhone trade-in program, which is designed to encourage users to upgrade to the latest models by offering a credit for used devices.

The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: Apple has pushed a second update to its Apple Store app, bringing it to version 2.7.1. The release notes continue to point to improved search capabilities and performance enhancements, so it is unclear why the app has been updated again.

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases

jackwagen0

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Apple is also planning to implement a new iPhone trade-in program, which is designed to encourage users to upgrade to the latest models by offering a credit for used devices.

Anybody else really excited to see what happens with this? I imagine Apple might be able to pay more than Gazelle and the like.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
The "direct link" at the bottom of the article seems to link to the Apple Remote App in iTunes?

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Instead of just dismissing my comment why don't you say why? I mean they make the phone. What stops them from giving customers more when it comes time for trading in, especially if they're selling another phone of theirs?
why?

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Instead of just dismissing my comment why don't you say why? I mean they make the phone. What stops them from giving customers more when it comes time for trading in, especially if they're selling another phone of theirs?

What's stopping them is the fact that they don't need to do it. Gazelle is a corporation that is designed for the soul purpose of obtaining people's used cell phones and redistributing them. What you are correct about is that Apple does have more capital and SHOULD be less interested in profit margins for the trade in program. What is important is that Apple will need less marketing to steal customers from Gazelle and other like companies. Remember, this is marketing, not a real way to help customers.

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Have updated the app but can no longer access the store - getting an error message saying the store is momentarily unavailable

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If they want to sell more iPhones in store they need to either offer better deals or offer something exclusive to in-store sales like a free extended warranty or something.

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
Call me clueless, but how do I update the App Store app? My devices are jailbroken, will that affect anything?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....At the current point in time, only a small percentage of iPhones are sold in Apple Stores, with the majority of sales coming from third party locations like carrier stores and electronics retailers. By offering free content in its Apple Store app, Apple can draw customers in to view and purchase additional Apple devices.....

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases

Sounds good on paper, but how many people are going to know about that, and how many people don't live anywhere near an APPLE store. It would depend a lot on the value of the free content, whether people are going to be bothered to go miles out of their way for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.