Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am going against the grain here. I thought this movie was terrible.

What I didn't like:
- The Lois Lane actress was flat.
- The romance between LL and SM was rushed
- The fight scene between Zog and SM. Horrible. Editing to fast, scene to long, actually started to get board with it.
- Female Zog warrior, board and horrible acting.
- Zog, was good in the beginning, but once we got to planet earth horrible.
- The guy from SVU was absolutely laughable. Yes let's threaten an alien race. Good lord
- The whole going up to the alien space ship and bringing LL with them. Ugh.
- Did I mention the last fight scene, all, what felt like 30 minutes of the movie. Horrible.
- While on krypton, the whole flying around on the winged creature.
- The zooming in on the fast action, i.e. flying around, zooming in on the action and them zooming out.
- Russell Crow's character. Didn't like his acting especially while on Krypton. Even some of the "hologram" scenes felt flat for me.
- I had no connection to the characters. Any of them.

What I did like:
- I liked superman as a whole. I liked him throughout the movie, except for the fight scene with Zog.
- I liked the flash back scenes. Overall they worked for me.
- Favorite scene was at the end with the drone and general. That cracked me up.

Again this is my opinion. I was really wanting to see this as I really like Superman and I really liked the Superman 1 and 2 back in the day.

Very disappointed.

I really like WWZ though. A lot.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
How did superman get beat up by that woman soldier only to then beat up the leader of the krypton army who was super soldier, genetically engineered to fight and trained to fight all his life? He got beat by a farm boy with no combat training. Really?

Also superman kills?! thats not right. He's not supposed to have a dark side to him like batman. He's the super good guy!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
How did superman get beat up by that woman soldier only to then beat up the leader of the krypton army who was super soldier, genetically engineered to fight and trained to fight all his life? He got beat by a farm boy with no combat training. Really?

Also superman kills?! thats not right. He's not supposed to have a dark side to him like batman. He's the super good guy!

The farm boy was because his father told him not to. Won't comment on the others though. But I agree 100% with you.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Superman is not suppose to kill? I didn't know that, this is my first superman movie, I've never read any comics or anything like that. Huh interesting.

Also I heard batman is not suppose to use weapons to kill right? I remember him telling cat woman in dark knight rises to fight without weapons.

Any other superheroes like these with the same moral code or something?

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
Personally, somewhat disappointed with the movie for the following reasons:

• Zack Snyder does JJ Abrams effects to death. In almost every scene in Kansas, there's a freaking lens flare. Yeah, it's hot. I get it. I felt like wearing sunglasses just for those scenes. Another Abrams effect is the shaky cam, zoom, shaky cam, and then zoom again. The director did this several times. Damn, even Abrams only does a couple of times in his movies. Feels like he's got Abrams envy or something.

• The battle with Zod was getting long, boring, and repetitive. Fight in one area, fly away, fight again, fly away, fight again, fl-- repeat. Also, it felt like the movie lifted several fight sequences from Transformers. C'mon, that "snake" thing was the same, and the building toppling over as well. Hmm, Michael Bay envy?

• As for Colonel Nathan Hardy (Meloni), Russell Casse (Quaid) from Independence Day wants his scene back.

• Lastly, Nokia? WTF??? Damn Snyder, JJ used this in Star Trek as well! UGH!!!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Superman is not suppose to kill?

Yeah, the original one doesn't kill on purpose. This absolute moral integrity made him lead the League of Justice (which I bet will be a movie as well, DC version of Avengers).

Have to agree with rhett and erio about Snyder pulling an JJ. Abrams. Those annoying zoom-zooms...lens flares etc pp.

Guess how the next Star Wars will look like? Superman, Star Trek...all the same.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Overall, I found the movie to be good, but not nearly as great as I was hoping after having seen Trailer 3. And I found the battle scenes to be rather long. My wife actually dozed off during the Metropolis one; she was so bored with it.

I agree that the battle scenes - especially the one with SM and Zod at the end - went on too long. Watching them fly through, topple over, and otherwise destroy buildings got tiresome. I also think it's funny the way movies depict people who are running away from a falling skyscraper - as long as they get beyond where the top of the building hits, they're OK, as if all the flying dust and debris wouldn't do them in.

The tech Jor-El used to teach his son about Krypton was weird. You'd think a society that advanced would have 3D hi-def color. Not to mention epidural or other anesthesia for childbirth.

On the positive side, I thought that Henry Cavill did a good job as SM, though we didn't get to see him play Clark Kent around Lois Lane much. In some ways, that's the more challenging part of the role, something Christopher Reeve did very well. Still, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I agree that the battle scenes - especially the one with SM and Zod at the end - went on too long. Watching them fly through, topple over, and otherwise destroy buildings got tiresome. I also think it's funny the way movies depict people who are running away from a falling skyscraper - as long as they get beyond where the top of the building hits, they're OK, as if all the flying dust and debris wouldn't do them in.

The tech Jor-El used to teach his son about Krypton was weird. You'd think a society that advanced would have 3D hi-def color. Not to mention epidural or other anesthesia for childbirth.

On the positive side, I thought that Henry Cavill did a good job as SM, though we didn't get to see him play Clark Kent around Lois Lane much. In some ways, that's the more challenging part of the role, something Christopher Reeve did very well. Still, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I agree 100% with what you said. The lack of Clark Kent was a major downfall of the story to me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This seemed more like a clif notes movie for those who haven't seen the Superman movies with Christopher Reeves. This made it hard to connect to the characters and the storyline.

Some parts were too modern/Scifi for my taste. And the way the story went, it was more like Superman the alien rather than Superman the hero.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
This seemed more like a clif notes movie for those who haven't seen the Superman movies with Christopher Reeves. This made it hard to connect to the characters and the storyline.

Some parts were too modern/Scifi for my taste. And the way the story went, it was more like Superman the alien rather than Superman the hero.

That is an excellent way of putting it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, at least it made sense to do the grimey Supes style as this combination will match quite well now. Not that it makes the current movie any better...

ku-xlarge.jpg

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm in love with Faora.

I loved the who's who of Kryptonians and Daxamites in the credits.

I enjoyed Cavill as Kal

I loved the little Kara Zor-El nod in the comic.

I loathed Jonathan. I will always love Grant Morrison's "good man Jonathan".

If I'd had my way, I would have used Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman as the base, but at the end of the day, this was a good start to a new franchise.

I hate that Batman will be in the sequel, I'm so tired of DC/WB using the bat as a crutch.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I'm in love with Faora.

I loved the who's who of Kryptonians and Daxamites in the credits.

I enjoyed Cavill as Kal

I loved the little Kara Zor-El nod in the comic.

I loathed Jonathan. I will always love Grant Morrison's "good man Jonathan".

If I'd had my way, I would have used Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman as the base, but at the end of the day, this was a good start to a new franchise.

I hate that Batman will be in the sequel, I'm so tired of DC/WB using the bat as a crutch.

Batman...sequel... what?>
am i missing something?

EDIT: just read about it online. Batman vs superman? that's stupid.
they should just continue some sort of story and leave superman vs batman for another movie. ugh

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Don't see why that's stupid. But that crossover better be good, not that confident about it right now.

Hope it's not just a brief 'Oh, look, it's Bats over there!' feature. :D

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Don't see why that's stupid. But that crossover better be good, not that confident about it right now.

Hope it's not just a brief 'Oh, look, it's Bats over there!' feature. :D

I mean I like how marvel does its own separate films but combines all heros on "avengers" I wouldn't like to see hulk or anyone else on iron man 4 or something. Idk that's just me but I want the films to focus on the hero itself

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Understand your point, but crossovers are happening all the time within the comic cosmos, so I appreciate theoretically the attempt to transfer that into the movies as well. I for one thought the last Supes movie boring, but this would tempt me to watch the sequel. ;)

Btw. just started to get into comics again since a really long period, and although I was always about Marvel and Image, this caught my eye because it's made by my most favorite (comic book) artist ever: Jae Lee. Highly recommended!

batman-superman-issueno1-cover.jpg%3Fw%3D645

Last edited:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Understand your point, but crossovers are happening all the time within the comic cosmos, so I appreciate theoretically the attempt to transfer that into the movies as well. I for one thought the last Supes movie boring, but this would tempt me to watch the sequel. ;)

Btw. just started to get into comics again since a really long period, and although I was always about Marvel and Image, this caught my eye because it's made by my most favorite (comic book) artist ever: Jae Lee. Highly recommended!

I'm not into comic books, but please keep me updated with your progress. I'd like to know what this book is about

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

The major issue I see is the new Batman. Batman is arguably the best portrayed of any of the comic book characters in either universe on screen (Specifically The Dark Knight Trilogy and ESPECIALLY the voice actors from TAS and the Arkham series).

That being said, it wasn't until the Avengers that Marvel got the Hulk right, so maybe there is hope. I would be interested to see if Christopher Nolan is involved in Batman casting. I will say this, by far Kevin Conroy's Arkham series Batman is the most iconic of the bunch, and I hope this new Batman leans towards the Arkham City Batman over the Dark Knight Batman.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The major issue I see is the new Batman. Batman is arguably the best portrayed of any of the comic book characters in either universe on screen (Specifically The Dark Knight Trilogy and ESPECIALLY the voice actors from TAS and the Arkham series).

That being said, it wasn't until the Avengers that Marvel got the Hulk right, so maybe there is hope. I would be interested to see if Christopher Nolan is involved in Batman casting. I will say this, by far Kevin Conroy's Arkham series Batman is the most iconic of the bunch, and I hope this new Batman leans towards the Arkham City Batman over the Dark Knight Batman.

Given your 'tar, I'd say you're the expert. :D

I'm not sold on Nolan's trilogy (liked the first though) but grew up with Keaton and Burton which created two perfect Batman movies (first being the best) - so I'd appreciate something different to the Dark Knight series. Arkham style - why not?

Disagreeing with your Hulk reception though: Ang Lee's version was the best imho - by far I'd say - the rest wasn't really interesting, although I like Mark Ruff..(?). Thought the Avengers movie bland and a great waste of time. ;)

Even more off-topic: Would literally LOVE a Killing Joke movie!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Given your 'tar, I'd say you're the expert. :D

I'm not sold on Nolan's trilogy (liked the first though) but grew up with Keaton and Burton which created two perfect Batman movies (first being the best) - so I'd appreciate something different to the Dark Knight series. Arkham style - why not?
I'm not much of an expert, honestly, I just thought the avatar was funny.

Disagreeing with your Hulk reception though: Ang Lee's version was the best imho - by far I'd say - the rest wasn't really interesting, although I like Mark Ruff..(?). Thought the Avengers movie bland and a great waste of time. ;)

Even more off-topic: Would literally LOVE a Killing Joke movie!

That's a fair point. Eric Bana wasn't too bad, it was just such a horrible overall movie. I too would love a killing joke film, but I wonder if it would be best to stay away from Joker for a while. Two iconic portrayals have recently concluded (Heath Ledger and Mark Hamill) and I'm not sure the studio would be ready to portray J again.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Since here are lots of knowledgeable folks: Anyone's seen the Wolverine flic? Is it worthwhile (didn't like the X-men movies so far)..?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You didn't like X-Men first class?

Haven't watched it, since I really didn't like the first entries (not sure if I saw the Origins: Wolverine one) with Pat Stewart et al..is it that much better? - Btw. just noticed that the first one is from 2000, so no idea really - maybe I'd like 'em now...could be.

You haven't seen the recent release then, I guess?

Btw. I'm quite derailing this thread, not sure if a general Superdudes-thread would be more appropriate..sorry, if it's bothering some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.