Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that the adoption of new touch-sensor systems in both the iPhone 5 and iPad has caused a notable shift in the supply chain of the touch panel market, according to research carried out by the firm DisplaySearch.
Displays with in-cell touch are expected to rise from 7.3% of mobile phone shipments in 2012 to 13.7% in 2013, while shipments of GG DITO (double-sided ITO glass) structure are expected to decline from 10.3% to 0.6%. For tablets, shipments of GF2 sensor structure are expected to rise from 4.7% in 2012 to 28.4% in 2013, while shipments of GG DITO structure decline from 37.2% to 8.1%.
Calvin Hseih, research director at DisplaySearch, notes that Apple has been primarily responsible for this shift, despite the massive number of touchscreen devices already on the market. Apple's shift from a GG type touch-sensor system (glass on glass) to in-cell touch technology and GF2 (whereby the second layer of glass is replaced by an optical film) has rapidly influenced the entire supply chain

Touchscreen architectures (Source: Displaybank/ElectroIQ)

Apple switched from GG to in-cell touch technology with the iPhone 5 release back in September 2012 and the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad also feature GF2 technology. Another report by Digitimes reiterates previous rumors that the upcoming fifth-generation iPad, which is slated to be released sometime in Q4 2013, will feature GF2 touch technology.

That technology will allow the new iPad to be thinner and lighter than previous models, with the technology being supplied by TPK and GIS. The fifth-generation iPad has been rumored and shown in leaked parts to be significantly smaller and thinner than the current iPad, taking design cues from the iPad mini.

Article Link: Apple's iPad 5 Set to Continue Driving Market Shift Toward In-Cell Display Technology

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Good, that's another thing that bothers me with my iPad 3 now that I'm used to the iPhone 5 (apart from weight/performance).

If the iPad 5 has an A7X, is thinner, lighter, has smaller side bezels and an in-cell touch display it would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Thinner is better! Although not so much fun when dropping the phone and cracking the screen I guess.. :)

Is the "Cover Window" supposed to represent the Gorilla Glass?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Good, that's another thing that bothers me with my iPad 3 now that I'm used to the iPhone 5 (apart from weight/performance).

If the iPad 5 has an A7X, is thinner, lighter, has smaller side bezels and an in-cell touch display it would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.

Yeah it's odd switching between my iPhone 5, 4, and iPad 3 now. Such a little change in the display, makes a huge difference in how sharp, and vibrant some things look!

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Nice - I guess the main thing is the resulting weight loss as opposed to the reduction in thickness.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Thinner is better! Although not so much fun when dropping the phone and cracking the screen I guess.. :)

Is the "Cover Window" supposed to represent the Gorilla Glass?

You believe thinner breaks easier?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice - I guess the main thing is the resulting weight loss as opposed to the reduction in thickness.

I hope not. I would hope the main thing is better visuals like color, less glare, better use in the sun etc with better touch sensitivity including some degree of pressure and less battery needs. If that comes in a package that is lighter and thinner, awesome. But weight had better not be THE reason for this

I would even take cheaper to use so we can bump the base storage without raising the retail price or lowering quality to less than the current as acceptable

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'm all over a new iPad. My iPad 2 is still good, but is regularly taken and trashed by my wife and kids.

It's time!

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
So, just me than that would like it to be the same thickness but have longer battery life?

It's never going to fit in your pocket, if it's too heavy for you get a mini.
I'd just like longer battery life for those days when I'm out of reach of a charge point – would accept the back covered in solar panels ;-)

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
People don't like thinner lighter phones. They want bigger screen, or smaller and cheaper phones. iPhone 4/4s and samesung g4 sell like hotcakes.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
No, it doesn't. Notice how the glass is the same thickness and thanks to Corning, getting stronger all the time? The reduced mass of the screen and device makes breakage less likely.

Depending how you approach the argument, you're both right.

Obviously a thicker version of the newer tech would indeed be stronger...

EDIT: Dades wrote exactly what I was thinking...

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
No matter how strong glass makers say their glass is, I still see shattered screens everywhere I go. :rolleyes:

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Touch-Display-Technology.png
What picture does not show is a backlit which required by LCD and adds significant bulk. AMOLED does not use backlit.

Last edited:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I have the iPad 3 and find it to be too heavy. When the iPad Mini came out, I was really excited but became determined to wait for the retina release.

Seeing now that the full size iPad will get the same facelift and a corresponding decrease in weight, I can no longer say with certainty that my next iPad purchase will be a retina Mini. So, assuming they release the iPad 5 soon and then the rMini later, I'll be in a difficult position where I'm itching to make an upgrade without knowing what I'm missing out on. The reasonable thing to do is simply wait until they release both and then make an informed purchase, but... well, hey, I like shiny new things and I've got cash to burn.

All that being said, I honestly CAN'T expect Apple to release a retina Mini at the same time as the iPad 5, even if both products are fully prepared for a release. It's just too good of a marketing opportunity to position their respective releases in a staggered fashion. People might b!tch about it, but I'd do the same if I worked for Apple and it were my decision.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Try looking up ALON

That's nice, but the context was assuming the same material. When you change materials of course all bets are off; a 2mm piece of steel breaks less easily than a 1cm thick sugar cookie.

ALON is cool stuff -- too bad it's cost prohibitive for phone use at $10-15/cm^2

----------

No matter how strong glass makers say their glass is, I still see shattered screens everywhere I go. :rolleyes:

Yeah, well: Cracked phone screens are apparently a weird new status symbol

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

The lighter a phone gets, there is a reduction in glass-cracking potential when dropped! When phones become feather-light, they'll just glide to the ground when dropped. Heck, you'll be able to catch it after you drop it, 100% of the time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.