Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onespot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
'sup ya'll.. let me preface that i'm relatively new to the JB game, so please have patience if I need some clarification...

The past week my battery has been on the fritz. It started with the % jumping all over the place and randomly powering down with 20+%. Lately, it has calmed down but the drain has been steady and rapid - to the magnitude of 1% every 2-3 minutes on 3G and/or WiFi.

I feel like I have tried (almost) everything I could find for possible fixes: recalibrating battery, logging out of apps, deleting/re-adding apps, removing Unfold and Activator, turning off Location Services, mail, iCloud, etc., deleting bookmarks, and today I just tried the System Activity Monitor.. while I am not confident in what I'm looking for in SAMonitor, I didn't see a ton of erratic CPU behavior when idle. I did see some "ReportCrash" stuff, but wasn't sure how to act on these.

Any willing and able patient helpers out there? I am pretty frustrated...

Thanks.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
'sup ya'll.. let me preface that i'm relatively new to the JB game, so please have patience if I need some clarification...

The past week my battery has been on the fritz. It started with the % jumping all over the place and randomly powering down with 20+%. Lately, it has calmed down but the drain has been steady and rapid - to the magnitude of 1% every 2-3 minutes on 3G and/or WiFi.

I feel like I have tried (almost) everything I could find for possible fixes: recalibrating battery, logging out of apps, deleting/re-adding apps, removing Unfold and Activator, turning off Location Services, mail, iCloud, etc., deleting bookmarks, and today I just tried the System Activity Monitor.. while I am not confident in what I'm looking for in SAMonitor, I didn't see a ton of erratic CPU behavior when idle. I did see some "ReportCrash" stuff, but wasn't sure how to act on these.

Any willing and able patient helpers out there? I am pretty frustrated...

Thanks.

What tweaks do you have installed?

onespot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Barrel
Browser changer
CallBar
dtvrunner
ikeywi
Libweather
Springtomize2
Substrate Safe Mode
Weatherbar
WeatherIcon 6
WeePreferenceLoader

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Barrel
Browser changer
CallBar
dtvrunner
ikeywi
Libweather
Springtomize2
Substrate Safe Mode
Weatherbar
WeatherIcon 6
WeePreferenceLoader

If your phone is idle whilst your battery is quicky being depleted it suggests to me that the problem may be your phone using your wifi or 3G comnection.

I see you have quite an interest in the weather, counting 3 weather related tweaks on this list.

How often do each refresh their information? Keep in mind that disabling location services will not keep these tweaks or widgets from refreshing the weather data, so you might want to consider that.

Barrel, Browser Changer, Springtomize2, substratesafemode, and weepreferenceloader cant be the problem - nor activator which youve removed.

Not sure what the rest of them tweaks are used for, but since you suspect CPU usage isnt the cause you should focus on stuff that connects to the internet.

You can start by turning off 3G and wifi for a period of time to check if your problem is of this nature.

Also, take a look at this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1608246/

Last edited:

onespot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
This morning when I woke up after an 8 hour charge, I signed on to the Internet (via SkyFire - not Safari, which I haven't used for a long time), checked this thread, closed, opened a couple other apps requiring 3G - like Facebook, and also opened the System Activity Monitor to watch usage and battery. I played around for about 10 minutes and my battery went from 100% to 92% and SAMonitor plummeted down to under '2 hours until empty'. I then put it in Airplane Mode and flipped around between screens for another 10 minutes. SAMonitor battery climbed to '6 hrs until empty' and only dropped about 4%. While better, I still don't think that's good. Anyway, I hit the sleep button, hopped in the shower, and when I got out and turned the phone on it dropped from 88% to 79% while in Sleep and Airplane Mode. ???? I flipped around the phone again and dropped to 76% in 10 minutes.

I then decided to delete the weather tweaks b/c my favorite tweak (WeatherIcon) doesn't work without an author update that hasn't happened for months. After deleting these 3 and respringing, I was at 68%. I messed around on 3G and my battery appeared better. I hit the Sleep button again, waited 15 minutes, and when I hit the Wake button, battery was at 47%. I honestly have no idea what's going on and why the drastic drops coming out of sleep.

The thread posted above is one that I read yesterday before posting. And, the only thing that I haven't tried that seemed to make sense was to "Reset Network Settings". I wasn't sure how this would affect my jailbreak or settings or whatever - so I haven't tried that. I have tried the mail thing - but again, without doing a Network Reset. I also do not know how to "delete the mail cache file (/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilemail)" ..

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
This morning when I woke up after an 8 hour charge, I signed on to the Internet (via SkyFire - not Safari, which I haven't used for a long time), checked this thread, closed, opened a couple other apps requiring 3G - like Facebook, and also opened the System Activity Monitor to watch usage and battery. I played around for about 10 minutes and my battery went from 100% to 92% and SAMonitor plummeted down to under '2 hours until empty'. I then put it in Airplane Mode and flipped around between screens for another 10 minutes. SAMonitor battery climbed to '6 hrs until empty' and only dropped about 4%. While better, I still don't think that's good. Anyway, I hit the sleep button, hopped in the shower, and when I got out and turned the phone on it dropped from 88% to 79% while in Sleep and Airplane Mode. ???? I flipped around the phone again and dropped to 76% in 10 minutes.

I then decided to delete the weather tweaks b/c my favorite tweak (WeatherIcon) doesn't work without an author update that hasn't happened for months. After deleting these 3 and respringing, I was at 68%. I messed around on 3G and my battery appeared better. I hit the Sleep button again, waited 15 minutes, and when I hit the Wake button, battery was at 47%. I honestly have no idea what's going on and why the drastic drops coming out of sleep.

The thread posted above is one that I read yesterday before posting. And, the only thing that I haven't tried that seemed to make sense was to "Reset Network Settings". I wasn't sure how this would affect my jailbreak or settings or whatever - so I haven't tried that. I have tried the mail thing - but again, without doing a Network Reset. I also do not know how to "delete the mail cache file (/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilemail)" ..

Try iLEX RAT and select remove all tweaks and start fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

onespot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Try iLEX RAT and select remove all tweaks and start fresh.

I saw this recommendation by you in the other thread...

What's the basis?

Couldn't I just delete the tweaks individually and re-add them? Or are you talking about a restore and re-jailbreak?

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I saw this recommendation by you in the other thread...

What's the basis?

Couldn't I just delete the tweaks individually and re-add them? Or are you talking about a restore and re-jailbreak?

There are some things that you might not be able to find. If you can find everything then by all means uninstall everything yourself. Both ways will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.