Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I got my Mac mini in December 12, and I went with a Mac Mini because it was cheaper, I ended up spending £781 once I had bought a monitor/keyboard/trackpad/magicmouse. I also then passed my iPad 2 onto my mum and bought an iPad mini.

Recently I've started to really want a MacBook so I have a portable Mac option. So I'm not tied to my desk, I can work in other areas of the house and even take it to work so I don't have to work on those stupid windows laptops!

On my Mac I do, web browsing, emails, documents, iTunes, films (through Apple TV), basic video editing in iMovie and picture sorting in iPhoto.

On my iPad I don't do a lot now, my iPhone does the job as it is always with me.

I am thinking about selling both my Mac Mini and iPad mini to buy a 13" MacBook Air.

Do you guys think this is a sensible option? I would bundle the Mac in with a monitor, keyboard and trackpad so should be able to get good money for it.

The only slight worries I have at the moment are, the storage on the MBA at 128GB. I'll attach a screen shot of my current storage. I do have a WD 2TB hardrive which sits on my desk and 20GB of iCloud storage.

Also, will the MBA cope with what I want to do on it, I do notice a big of lag when I have iPhoto and iMovie running together on my mini.

I'm just looking for advice on those couple of points, how can I manage the storage issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 15.17.19.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 15.17.19.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 61

Rossmg

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
just a quick thought

Speaking of your Mac mini sluggish performance, I'd recommend RAM upgrade to max available. This worked like charm on my good old mid 2010 Mac mini. After going up from 2 gigs to 8 gigs it became quite fast with no more issues when iphoto, iweb, Pages and other heavy graphic apps are run simultaneously. For my machine it was about $35 per Kingston 4 gigs x 2 = $70 (staples.com, you can probably find similar in UK). It's hooked up with 32" SONY and I like it even better than my fullsize 2012 iMac in another place.
As for your MB dilemma, I would feel tempted to go by the weight - for either lightest MBA or heaviest MBP (if perfectionism is an issue).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.