Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomzoula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
Hello, first post.. Just received my replacement iphone 5 from apple due to a faulty button. I'm on verizon and just got the replacement in the mail from apple, not verizon, but havn't put my sim card in or turned it on yet. I've looked everywhere but can't find out if this replacement is "locked" (whatever that means) or if i can go to wal mart and use this phone to get on straight talk and cut my monthly bill in half. For the time being, im using my old phone. Thanks in advance as no one at wal mart knows anything :eek:

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Hello, first post.. Just received my replacement iphone 5 from apple due to a faulty button. I'm on verizon and just got the replacement in the mail from apple, not verizon, but havn't put my sim card in or turned it on yet. I've looked everywhere but can't find out if this replacement is "locked" (whatever that means) or if i can go to wal mart and use this phone to get on straight talk and cut my monthly bill in half. For the time being, im using my old phone. Thanks in advance as no one at wal mart knows anything :eek:

Not sure how it goes in the US, but here in the UK Apple generally do like for like.

If i took my iPhone to Apple (which is locked to Vodafone) and they gave me a replacement, that too would be locked to the same provider. Otherwise they would be bombarded with people with "faulty" phones who could then go onto put whatever sim they wanted in it.

tomzoula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
hmm.. thats kindof what i figured, thanks for the response:) now to get this thing back up and running! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.