Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountainlion.png
Apple today seeded build 12F26 of OS X 10.8.5 to developers, marking the sixth beta iteration of 10.8.5. The release comes exactly one week after the previous OS X 10.8.5 beta, build 12F23.

As with previous betas, the update contains no known issues and can be downloaded via Apple's Developer page or through the software update tool of the Mac App Store. It is also available to AppleSeed members with a new version of Safari.

Apple's OS X 10.8.5 beta is being tested along side the next version of the operating system, OS X Mavericks. Apple has thus far seeded four developer previews of Mavericks and plans to offer the new operating system to the public in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F26 to Developers

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
How do you know this, MacRumors? The developer site is down and you can't login.

Am I the only one confused by this?

Artoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Belgium
I'm a total noob in this area, but can someone explain me why they are still updating ML when they're releasing Mavericks in Oct/Nov? :confused:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I'm a total noob in this area, but can someone explain me why they are still updating ML when they're releasing Mavericks in Oct/Nov? :confused:

Obviously mountain lion still needs to be maintained for the general public whilst they wait for mavericks.

I'm a bit annoyed though that the delta and combo dmg files can't be accessed yet from the mac dev center. I prefer those to the mas update method.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

There are some older machines that may not be able to run Mavericks, but can run Mountain Lion. Furthermore, more updates means a more stable operating system. Despite people's gripes with how Apple update their products, they're actually very good in maintaining legacy support -- especially when compared to other hardware manufacturers.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Because not everyone will upgrade to Mavericks; either because they don't want to spend the money or because their hardware will be not be supported. Also because security issues will continue to be found, and will need to be patched.

redsoxunixgeek

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
Salt Lake City YOOTah

Because companies can't just hop on the Mavericks Bandwagon, There are support implications, and some of us have to wait for software to drop to support the new functionality. Then there is the whole "Testing a new OS" side of IT. Sure, Microsoft OS'es are a bit different than Apple, but you can't just release a new version of an OS to a department or company without knowing how you're going to support it, and handle the differences.

Also, I don;t think anyone is downloading this from the Apple Developer Site...

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009

Why not...? ML is the CURRENT OS, Mavericks is the OS to be launched. It's not there yet. So ML needs to be maintained. Simple as that.

bekiil

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
Northern Norway

Definetively a noob, yes, :)
But do not worry, with time you will be wiser. hehehe

The reason they do updates is because there is many many thousands still using OS X even as old as Leopard, and earlier. (Earlier versions than Leopard is obsolete/not supported?, correct me if I'm wrong)

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Just because they're releasing Mavericks 10.9 doesn't mean they stop updating ML 10.8 all together.

----------

Definetively a noob, yes, :)
But do not worry, with time you will be wiser. hehehe

The reason they do updates is because there is many many thousands still using OS X even as old as Leopard, and earlier. (Earlier versions than Leopard is obsolete/not supported?, correct me if I'm wrong)

Everything before Intel is obsolete I would think. Or at least deprecated?

----------

Obviously mountain lion still needs to be maintained for the general public whilst they wait for mavericks.

I'm a bit annoyed though that the delta and combo dmg files can't be accessed yet from the mac dev center. I prefer those to the mas update method.

What's the difference besides delivery and install?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
So what is updated in 10.8.5?

Just stability and bugfixes, no new features or anything. Just fixing those specific problems that happens when you do a certain thing with a certain program, which far from all people will experience.

I do also get the safari seeds though, which are 6.1.x seeds, so not 7.x like in mavericks but still updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.