Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
earlier this year i bought a macbook pro. i liked it a lot but carrying it to college classes was a pain. im looking for something small to add to my notes. i had an asus transformer infinity and after about 5 apps it lagged to all hell. now im thinking 10 inch tablet is too much and i want something to add to paper+pencil not replace it. a 7 inch one is fine for me. i love watching youtube videos before bed and catching up on social media stuff or watching ted talks on comutes.

so between the 7 inch tablets the mini and the new nexus 7 catch my eye. the nexus 7 will be out for sale next week july 30 and it looks REALLY promising. the downside is i have now switched from being a hardcore android guy to apple. i have a macbook iphone and apple tv that all work together flawlessly .

i really dont know what to do. get the nexus 7 or wait for even just a press conference or release date of any new iPad

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
I'd wait. Because like you said, everything works together flawlessly. Add in a Nexus 7, and it's out of the loop.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
No one on this site is going to recommend you to buy a Nexus 7 tablet.

The iPad 5 is likely going to be released in September. There may or may not be an updated mini, as well, but no one knows for sure if it will include a retina display. Most seem to think that it will receive a retina display next year..

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I went from Android to Apple this year, and all my stuff is Apple now. The integration is priceless, and the products work great. The problem with the Nexus display is the landscape format means a lot of scrolling. You'll see more lines of text with the Mini and full-size iPad.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Go and get Nexus 7 and you will resume hardcore Android fanboy. Don't forgot to say good bye to Apple, MacRumor, and of course Timmy Cook. :apple:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I went from Android to Apple this year, and all my stuff is Apple now. The integration is priceless, and the products work great. The problem with the Nexus display is the landscape format means a lot of scrolling. You'll see more lines of text with the Mini and full-size iPad.

This may be true, but damn if those lines of text aren't crisp and sharp unlike the blurriness of the iPad Mini's display. /flame off

Really, if integration is pretty important to you, then by all means stay within the apple family, but for $229 can you really go wrong with the Nexus 7?

It'll do everything you said you'd use it for and you can see more lines of text if you read in portrait mode.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Buy the Nexus and see how it works out for you. You can always return it but you will never know otherwise unless you give it a shot.

The second Mini may be pushed back even further with the new Nexus beast. What's up, Apple????

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I have a Nexus 7 (1st gen) and love it, when Ipad Mini came out i was not crazy about the non retina resolution, and of course higher price. I am selling my N7 now and getting the new N7 next week. I'd say get the N7, I have all the apps I need on both my iPhone and on my N7 so I don't really miss anything when I go back and forth.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I would wait for the iPad mini. I have a current Nexus 7 and over all it is ok although I've been annoyed with it recently.

I think the new Nexus 7 looks like a solid tablet BUT...

I am currently a grad student. I didn't buy the Nexus 7 for notes but once I had it I thought it might be nice to use it for that purpose. There just aren't very good android apps for academic notetaking (IMHO). I don't have an ipad so I don't know if it is better with iOS but I suspect it is. The 16:10 aspect ratio is also pretty terrible for academic pdfs. This is why I want an iPad next because for my studies the nexus 7 just isn't very useful.

If you want a good consumption tablet for web browsing, ebooks, youtube etc. the new Nexus 7 will probably be great. If you want to use it for class I would at least wait until you can compare both tablets and make an informed decision.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
If you consume media content on it, you shouldn't be concerned with Android's minimal lag. We haven't even seen the new Android version that is going to come out. And add to that, we haven't even seen how that version performs on the new hardware of the Nexus 7. You should be attracted by the higher resolution screen this tablet is going to offer.
How are you worried about integration with your computer exactly? There are no problems to worry about.
I'd go with the Nexus 7.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
The mini can't come soon enough. I just hope the resolution is improved, here the nexus 7 has 320+, the mini really needs to be at least 250

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'd wait until there are some reviews on the new Nexus 7 before buying. It's cheap so it's tempting. But let's see if the actual product lives up to its specs and its marketing promise.

If it gets good battery life then you know Apple's retina iPad Mini can't be far behind. And that would be worth waiting a month or two for.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Definitely the Nexus 7. I can't wait to get one. And I'm typing this from a 64GB iPad Retina 3G.

This little trophy has served me well on my numerous business trips, but with my 13" MBA 2013 on the way, I no longer need to carry this piece with me.

Still, I would like to have a touch screen device to carry in my briefcase along with my MBA. My S3 is sweet for answering emails, using maps, taking pictures, and of course using it as a phone :p.
but I'm an avid reader and I need something bigger than a phone screen to enjoy the process. Touch gaming is a great on-the-plane time killer as well.

At $229, the Nexus 7 will do just that. I'll definitely bump up to 32GB for the additional $40 (compared to Apple's $100). My S3 will serve as a hotspot so i will still have Internet access no matter where I go. Hotspot drains my phones Battery, but it is not an issue as I always carry a spare (yes iPhone lovers, Samsung phones have replaceable batteries) :p

The 32GB nexus 7 will likely end up at $300 when it becomes available in my country, but it would still be a steal for such a packed device. That, and the fact that it will likely sync best with the chromecast leaves me with no doubts that I will be picking the nexus 7 over iPad mini.

I don't get the Apple Fanboy VS Apple Hater argument. I LOVE certain products from Apple, and prefer Android/Win elsewhere... Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Well all I'll say is I'm not liking the future of iOS so far, the overall design, keyboard (and predictions) still suck on the 7 beta and widgets are extremely missed, I've totally been converted to widgets and the way Android does notifications after using a Galaxy SIII since last year.

I'm very tempted to stick my iPad 3 on eBay and buy the new Nexus 7, because the 3 is just too heavy and uncomfortable to hold (+ those kind of sharp corners).

Apparently the Mini will not get an upgraded display because then not many will buy the 5, just a rumour but if that is true then there's no way I'd consider one. (I also don't want a tablet of the iPad 3/4 size ever again, it's too much considering I also have a 13" Air)

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
ugh this is so hard to decide. i need a tablet now for work ( to make schedules ) and access small excel sheets on the go but i dont want a huge ipad for that just a mini. but i wont get the mini because of the bad screen ( im very picky about resolution because my eyesight needs sharp text) so that leads me to a nexus 7 that is outside my now apple eco system ( wont stream to apple tv or will it ? )

im taking 2 flights round trip in the next 2 months and if i dont buy the new n7 i wont have a tablet to keep me busy for the 4 hour flights -_-

then if the new mini is not released by september i will be having to carry my macbook to class every day. whats holding me back is the mini beating the new nexus 7 therefore making my purchase now feel rushed . if i wait and the mini is not as good as the nexus 7 (unlikely) i will have wasted all the time i could of been using this tablet . lol

/firstworldproblems

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
ugh this is so hard to decide. i need a tablet now for work ( to make schedules ) and access small excel sheets on the go but i dont want a huge ipad for that just a mini. but i wont get the mini because of the bad screen ( im very picky about resolution because my eyesight needs sharp text) so that leads me to a nexus 7 that is outside my now apple eco system ( wont stream to apple tv or will it ? )

im taking 2 flights round trip in the next 2 months and if i dont buy the new n7 i wont have a tablet to keep me busy for the 4 hour flights -_-

then if the new mini is not released by september i will be having to carry my macbook to class every day. whats holding me back is the mini beating the new nexus 7 therefore making my purchase now feel rushed . if i wait and the mini is not as good as the nexus 7 (unlikely) i will have wasted all the time i could of been using this tablet . lol

/firstworldproblems

I'd get the Nexus 7. Although I've never used Android, the new N7 looks like a great tablet.

Also, to solve the problem bolded above, you could buy the recently-announced Chromecast and still save money over buying an iPad mini.

The mini 2 is rumoured to be out this year without a retina screen, so I'd just go for the N7 now. There's always a year or two later when you can try out the iPad.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The Nexus 7 isn't bad when you look at the specs. But does anyone know of Android has added TRIM support? I've heard about lots of Nexus 7 tablets becoming laggy after a while because apparently there is no garbage collection on the internal memory; and the more you fill it up and delete stuff, performance will degrade further.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
The Nexus 7 isn't bad when you look at the specs. But does anyone know of Android has added TRIM support? I've heard about lots of Nexus 7 tablets becoming laggy after a while because apparently there is no garbage collection on the internal memory; and the more you fill it up and delete stuff, performance will degrade further.

True I'm wondering this as well. the iPad mini needs to have a better resolution though to compete with the Nexus and i belive sooner is better than later lol.

----------

/firstworldproblems

I had a similar situation I have an iPad 4 though. I'm going to post mine for sale within the next few days on ebay and sell it to get the iPad 5. If it's much lighter and better I will keep it but if it's not I will hold out for the retina mini. So only time will tell when the mini will receive retina. I'm just saving up my bucks. As I college student I recycle products to get new products. Before the next ones out I sell the old :):D

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
earlier this year i bought a macbook pro. i liked it a lot but carrying it to college classes was a pain. im looking for something small to add to my notes. i had an asus transformer infinity and after about 5 apps it lagged to all hell. now im thinking 10 inch tablet is too much and i want something to add to paper+pencil not replace it. a 7 inch one is fine for me. i love watching youtube videos before bed and catching up on social media stuff or watching ted talks on comutes.

so between the 7 inch tablets the mini and the new nexus 7 catch my eye. the nexus 7 will be out for sale next week july 30 and it looks REALLY promising. the downside is i have now switched from being a hardcore android guy to apple. i have a macbook iphone and apple tv that all work together flawlessly .

i really dont know what to do. get the nexus 7 or wait for even just a press conference or release date of any new iPad

To make your decision harder OP :D

9/10 on the verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-2013

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Haha if the Verge didn't give it anything other than a 9 or 10 out of 10 the reviewer would have been skinned alive. Not suggesting it doesn't really warrant the score but they've been getting dinged for supposedly being stingy on their reviews.

Normally I don't participate in this kind of speculation, but it is quite telling that the review itself has a generally negative tone towards both Nexus 7 tablets despite the 9.0 score. The new Nexus 7 looks like a good tablet, but the iPad mini is absolutely the safer bet, especially given the maturity of the tablet app ecosystem on iOS. The safest bet, however, is to wait until the 2nd gen mini is released.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I'd wait. Because like you said, everything works together flawlessly. Add in a Nexus 7, and it's out of the loop.

Only if you use exclusively Apple default apps like Notes and Reminders.

Evernote, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Pocket, etc. are also on Android.

I would say if you want to use it for school, get the new Nexus 7 because no one knows when the iPad Mini 2 will release it could be as long as Oct/Nov some reports even indicate early 2014.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
As a 1st Gen Nexus 7 owner, I would recommend waiting!

But not for the reasons you suspect...

I made the purchase in August right when the tablet was released and I should have waited as there were a lot issues for the first 6 months.

Screen separation (hardware)
Bluetooth not working (software)
WiFi weakness or not working (software)

I've had my N7 replaced 3x for screen separation and bluetooth issues. It felt like I was beta testing Jellybean because bluetooth didn't work from 4.1 - 4.2.1 which was 6 months.

Yes it's cheaper but not worth the nominal $50 difference (from the iPad Mini) considering how many times I had to replace the tablet and the 6 months of not being able to stream music or wifi that just wouldn't work properly with a new router. FWIW we have 10 devices in the house - PCs, Android, PS3, Macs, and iOS devices - none have issues with connectivity to wifi save the Nexus until 4.2.2 which came 6 months after launch.

On 4.2.2 I love my Nexus 7 (unlocked, rooted with Franco Kernel) but it was far from smooth and my experience wasn't rare - there are numerous Google forums (I'm on there if you look) where people are asking Google to fix Jellybean or complaining about the poorly constructed hardware - antenna's breaking, screens, etc.

Google was great with replacing the tablet and the third one I got in June 2012 has worked perfectly and no screen separation thus far.

My roommate has the iPad Mini - no issues... Never replaced.

I am gonna wait at least 2-3 months till I decide on a N7 2013 or to wait longer for a Mini because I want to make sure people aren't having ridiculous issues with basic functionality and poor construction.

Finally - I don't mind that the N7 doesn't coordinate with my iOS/OS X devices as I enjoy figuring out how to make it work and tinkering but for 99% of my friends who aren't IT people, I would recommend sticking with what works (Android or iOS) and enjoy your experience, unless you want a load of hurt trying to make the transition.

:D

EDIT - I would also see what specs Apple plans on bestowing the Mini - If it's weak then the (S4 Pro, Mali GPU SOC) with 2GB of ram and HD+ screen are really nice but it's better to wait to make sure it's solidly made and the OS performs as expected!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.