Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenmillerjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Perry, GA
Hey...
I currently have an AT&T iPhone 4. I'm moving to Germany later this year, and will have the newest model once it is released. I'm wondering if I can take my AT&T iPhone and get a German T-Mobile plan and sim and if that would work over there...preferably without a jailbreak, but can JB if necessary.

If someone could help me out, that would be fantastic. Thanks =)

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Hey...
I currently have an AT&T iPhone 4. I'm moving to Germany later this year, and will have the newest model once it is released. I'm wondering if I can take my AT&T iPhone and get a German T-Mobile plan and sim and if that would work over there...preferably without a jailbreak, but can JB if necessary.

I think you might be able to just pop in a German T-Mobile SIM card.

Have you considered buying an international roaming package?

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
You won't simply be able to pop a German SIM into it as the MNC-MCC (or MCC-MNC, I always get them mixed up) of the German SIM will not match that of the AT&T SIM.

You will need a JB as AT&T have refused to unlock any iPhone locked to their network, even after the contract period has ended (one reason I am glad I don't live in the USA).

You could try Apple direct but I think they will only deal with carriers on that subject. Since there is no law in the USA that forces to carriers to unlock handsets after the customer has paid the subsidy fee (the cost the carrier pays for the handset and then passes on to the user) you can't make AT&T unlock it (boo hoo)

kenmillerjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Perry, GA
Okay...if I buy a tmobile iPhone once in Germany could I use my AT&T sim in it when I come back to the states on vacations?!

I can't get a international plan since I will be in Germany for two years. Doesn't make much sense. Basically what I am trying to do is I'm going to "suspend" my current AT&T account while over there, but when I come back to the states I'd like to be able to re-activate it.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Okay...if I buy a tmobile iPhone once in Germany could I use my AT&T sim in it when I come back to the states on vacations?!

I can't get a international plan since I will be in Germany for two years. Doesn't make much sense. Basically what I am trying to do is I'm going to "suspend" my current AT&T account while over there, but when I come back to the states I'd like to be able to re-activate it.

The fact that you can't get an international plan doesn't make sense to me either. Are you sure they won't let you get an international plan? Seems to me like you should just be able to get an international plan and fly off to Germany on a "long vacation."

kenmillerjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Perry, GA
True...I can but that would be very expensive. What about if I buy an unlocked iPhone (whatever the next model is) from the store? Would that work with. Both?!

melishell

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Hey...

I can give you a simple suggestion where you can unlock your iPhone by remote unlocking method.. you can try with TheUnlockArena.com an online unlocking service provider who will help you with unlocking when you give them details about your mobile model and the network to which it is locked... I have had a good experience with them try yours as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.