Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Ashton Kutcher took to Quora to explain some of the reasons why he decided to take on the role of Steve Jobs in the upcoming film JOBS, noting his admiration for Jobs, the challenge of the role, and his interest in the convergence of technology and entertainment.

With the film set for wide release on August 16, Kutcher is now beginning to hit the publicity circuit to talk about the film. He appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno last night, where he discussed how he missed a chance to meet Steve Jobs six months before Jobs' death and how regret over that decision played a part in his decision to portray Jobs.

Kutcher also sat down with The Verge for a wide-ranging interview including some discussion of his portrayal of Jobs. In the interview, Kutcher describes how he felt almost compelled to take on the role of Jobs out of love for the Apple co-founder. Kutcher felt that if anyone was going to "screw it up", it should be someone should be someone who cared for Jobs.
To prepare for the role, Kutcher assembled a 15-hour SoundCloud compilation of Jobs' speaking voice, including both public presentations and more candid recordings that captured his habits outside of public life. "There were two versions of him, and I got this from a lot of friends of his that I talked to," Kutcher said. "There was the guy who went on stage and presented things, and then there was the guy who was in the boardroom, who was working on a product, who was having an intimate conversation. And I tried to find little snippets of stuff where he wasn't aware that he was being recorded or speeches that he didn't think anyone was going to hear, so I could get a little more of who he honestly was."
The relevant portion of the interview begins roughly 11:30 into the video.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher Talks More About Playing the Role of Steve Jobs

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Queue all the "OMG Ashton is terrible" comments. Overall it seems he took the role very seriously and seems to have done a good job with it from the trailer.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Why is it that some people just look and sound irritatingly dumb? I guess it's not a fair judgement, but Kutcher doesn't impress me at all.

----------

Queue all the "OMG Ashton is terrible" comments. Overall it seems he took the role very seriously and seems to have done a good job with it from the trailer.

:rolleyes:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Why is it that some people just look and sound irritatingly dumb? I guess it's not a fair judgement, but Kutcher doesn't impress me at all.

----------

In this case, it all goes back to his role in That 70's show. People just can't shake it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I feel as though either the media or his PR agency are really throwing him around as though he's making the next big movie about the resurrection of JC or some **** like that. Seriously, how many times does the public need to be informed that he is talking about his role again? Talk about milking it.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
The all new iPhone

It will be nice to see Ashton hold something other than a Nikon in his hand, at least for the duration of the movie.:cool:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

----------

I agree. Always felt that way about Cameron Diaz. People say its because he's typecasted from his 70s Show role but others have played dumb before and seem to be part of the joke. I see this guy and just think damn! He got the looks and his twin got the smarts.

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
They would have been better off licensing Pirates of Silicon Valley from TNT and releasing it in theaters.

Kutcher must be really pulling some strings in the media to get this publicized. I'm sure after all these years he's got some contacts...

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I for one like Kutcher a lot and think he is well suited for this role. But if you want to jump on the "omgz mainstream=bad and I'm so above it" bandwagon go ahead.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I feel as though either the media or his PR agency are really throwing him around as though he's making the next big movie about the resurrection of JC or some **** like that. Seriously, how many times does the public need to be informed that he is talking about his role again? Talk about milking it.

I bet fewer people than you think know about this movie. Also, this is what most actors do when movies come out. They have talk show interviews.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
Agreed.

This shouldn't even be on MacRumors.

I gotta respectively disagree. I'm really looking forward to the film and appreciate the continued coverage. This movie gets a lot of flack and no one has even seen it yet. I'm sure the 'bigger' film will be incredible, but this looks entertaining and it's always fun to see Jobs come 'back to life'.

:apple:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
He was fairly articulate in the interview and seemed a lot more tolerable in that specific trailer. It was nice to see a clip that didn't make Ashton out to be a caricature of Jobs, and I can actually say that I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Seriously, no one cares!

Oops. I do.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles

That's what pretty much every actor does for a movie about someone they are taking a role as. They talk about the process because that's what people are interested in. When movies are about other stuff, they usually get asked 'How was it kissing so and so on screen' ... I prefer this type of interview and actors who do the research :cool:

I'm really impressed with how seriously he took the role.

I just hope that when I watch the movie (and of course I will), I'll be able to get past his voice/my prior knowledge of Kutcher. Not that I have anything against the guy, but his roles have reinforced him as a specific type of person, and Steve Jobs is far from that personality.

pgifford

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
St. Louis
There were two versions of him, and I got this from a lot of friends of his that I talked to," Kutcher said. "There was the guy who went on stage and presented things, and then there was the guy who was in the boardroom, who was working on a product, who was having an intimate conversation.

Isn't this true for everyone, or at least most people? Having public and private personas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.