Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After launching Logic Pro X earlier this month, Apple has updated the audio software with a number of stability fixes and performance enhancements.
logic_pro_x_screenshot.jpg
- Fixes an issue that could cause content downloading to stall
- 24-bit audio files are no longer converted to 16-bit when exporting projects to AAF
- Improves stability when switching between audio editors while Flex Pitch is enabled
- Track Stacks that contain both software instrument and audio tracks will no longer be inadvertently flattened by loading a Patch
- Tuner is now available when selecting a Track Stack containing audio tracks
- Addresses graphic and selection behavior issues in the Score Editor
Logic Pro X is described as Apple's most advanced Logic Pro software to date, offering a number of new creative tools for musicians, a redesigned interface, and an expanded collection of instruments and effects.

Logic Pro X can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $199.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Logic Pro X with Bug Fixes, Stability Enhancements

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
99% of plugins I am using are 32 bit, and they don't work in Logic Pro X. Massive fail, Apple!

Massive fail? really? Don't you just use the version you have, which worked fine until the recent release, and wait until the plug ins you need are rolled out in 64 bit version over the next few months, and then decide if you want to upgrade?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
99% of plugins I am using are 32 bit, and they don't work in Logic Pro X. Massive fail, Apple!

I suppose you think PT11 is a massive fail too, since it's all 64-bit? 100% of my plugins are 64-bit, so no problems for me!

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
If I have Logic 9 installed and want Logic X, does it overwrite version 9? Or does it install a separate version of X? If so do I just then delete version 9 (move to trash) and all my plugins and content will remain the same?

Midphase

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011

Wrong, I would actually say that the massive fail should be blamed on your plugin developers. It's not like 64 bit technology was just discovered the other day....if these guys can't be bothered to rewrite some code and update their plugins after 4 years, perhaps it's time to dump them!

519tbarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
All companies should be forced to update plugins and software to 64 bit compatibility. 32 bit software and machines are part of the past not the future.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
If I have Logic 9 installed and want Logic X, does it overwrite version 9? Or does it install a separate version of X? If so do I just then delete version 9 (move to trash) and all my plugins and content will remain the same?

They're separated. Deleting either one or both will not disturb your plugins. So yeah, your plugins and content will remain the same. Logic Pro X only supports 64 bits plugins, just so you know :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

noone is forcing you to update you know....and if youre any serious about this you shouldnt upgrade for a while still...
most likely a 64 bit version will be launched soon. if not, then those plug ins are outdated anyway and you should really get new, supported ones.
cant imagine it to be too big of a problem...

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Wrong, I would actually say that the massive fail should be blamed on your plugin developers. It's not like 64 bit technology was just discovered the other day....if these guys can't be bothered to rewrite some code and update their plugins after 4 years, perhaps it's time to dump them!

Exactly. But in the few cases where you want to keep using 32-bit plugins, it's nice that Logic Pro 9 doesn't just disappear.

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I've been very impressed with LPX. LP9 was great, but this is really something else. Nice work, Apple. Looking forward to Aperture 4 or X or whatever you call it.

fredoviola

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008

It's about time that all 3rd party plugins are 64 bit. Apple created the bridge to help aid in the transition from 32 to 64, but after a certain time the 3rd party plugins should have been replaced with 64 bit capable versions. This is not an Apple problem, imo.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was just about to ask for an opinion on what everyone thought of X. I really want to make the jump. It looks slick.

I really like it. I've worked with Logic since version 7, and although I liked its power and versatility, the interface needed work. Apple got it right with the new version.

I'm glad the update is out so quickly; I was working with a software instrument the other day and Logic crashed, just vanished from the screen. Hopefully that bug is fixed now.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
What do you guys think of Logic vs Propellerhead Reason? I know they serve very different uses, but the solo musician without a lot of physical tracks is where I'm at. I have an old version of Reason I've been using and it's great. Not sure which one (or both) to upgrade to.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I'm more impressed that you have 100 plugins!

lol, most apple users are so reliant on presets it's not even funny. I just sigh in professional environments, "I could do this if you bought this plugin". How were you hired again?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I must say, i am absolutely in love with Logic Pro X. Apple really delivered with this one.

alexmshore

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
UK
Full release notes as follows. Some nice fixes here.

Stability

• Logic Pro X should no longer quit unexpectedly when:
A Track Stack is flattened during playback.
Trimming an audio file in the Audio File Editor.
Switching from the Audio File Editor to the Audio Track Editor after enabling Flex Pitch.
Selecting or moving notes in the Piano Roll.
Saving a patch with an edited Smart Controls layout.
Several Software Instrument tracks are created in quick succession from Logic Remote.
Changing a velocity range in the EXS Editor while playing a note.
Deleting an Arrangement marker.
A second lane of MIDI data is added with the pencil in the Step Editor.
• Fixes an issue that could cause content downloading to hang.
• Logic Pro X should no longer hang if the Length parameter in the Step Editor was double-clicked.
• Logic Pro X no longer hangs when a settings folder containing more than 138 settings files is accessed from Logic Remote.

Track Stacks

• Tuner is now available when selecting the main track of a Track Stack.
• The output routing on a Drummer Track that has been manually reassigned to an Aux is no longer reassigned to No Output when changing drum characters.
• It is again possible to switch Aux channels that are part of a Multi Output Software Instrument between mono and stereo.
• Resolves an issue in which a copied main track of a Summing Track Stack did not maintain the correct routing for sub-tracks.
• Track Stacks that contain both software instrument and audio tracks will no longer be inadvertently flattened by loading a Patch.
• Multi-timbral tracks are no longer created as track stacks by default.

Score

• Text styles in the Score window event inspector pop-up menu now display the currently selected language.
• You should now be able to import custom Text Styles into a new project.
• Edit focus on selected regions should now be properly maintained when opening the Staff Style window.
• You should now be able to select rests and bar repeat objects in the Score window.
• Mapped Staff Styles no longer improperly show a Transpose value.

General

• Create New Track with Next Channel now works as expected for multi-timbral Software Instrument or External MIDI tracks.
• When Follow is selected in the Drummer Editor, a track is now automatically assigned for Drummer to follow.
• When exporting projects to AAF, 24-bit audio files are no longer converted to 16-bit.
• Resolves an issue in which in some cases notes copied in the Piano Roll ended up at unexpected positions.
• Shift-clicking in the timeline to adjust the cycle range now works as expected.
• The Mixer now correctly shows channel strips when navigating between multiple folders in the Main window.
• Take regions now appear consistently in the Track Audio Editor when they are selected.
• Resolves an issue in which Arrangement markers were improperly resized after being dragged in projects with a start point before bar 1 1 1 1.
• Resolves an issue in which undo did not work after an Arrangement marker was copied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.