Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Maybe the new Mac mini will be a shiny black donut.
To match the new Mac Pro. :)

That would be hilarious, exact same case just but with an i5 quad, two RAM slots, HD 4600 graphics, 1TB port, only four USB3 ports (oops just like the MP) 256GB storage. . . $900.00.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
When there were no mini updates at WWDC I decided to buy one. I'm gonna be a sad panda if my 2 month old Mac Mini is already out of date.

The question is does your 2 month old Mac Mini meet your needs. If it does, there is no need to regret your decision to purchase. The latest and the greatest is nice but, when you get right down to it, the Haswell processor is not great of an improvement over the Ivy Bridge. The software is the most important variable.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I'd guess the mini will use HD 5000 graphics, like the MacBook Airs.

Intel have not announced any Haswell chips with HD 5000 graphics that would be suitable for a Mac Mini. It is conceivable that the low-end Mini might have a dual-core processor with HD 4400 graphics, but I'm hoping that all the new Minis will be quad-core with HD 4600 graphics.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
As long they don't change up iMacs soon because I just bought one last weekend.

(Love it and it runs way cooler than my late 2009 iMac.)

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
my prediction, the mini will adapt the same form factor as the new Time Capsule and Airport Extreme.

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
I really hope the new mini is coming...been holding out on getting one (to replace my old MacBook) for the update to Haswell. My credit card is itching to be used. Come on Apple, sooner than later, please!

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Hopefully there will be GPU options for Iris 5000 for the base and Iris Pro 2500 for the upgrade model.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
if you mean fan noise? then you've never used a mac mini. mine sounds like a jet engine half the day. (2011)

I don't know what you do with your Mac...

My power on led light died and for me to check if the Mac is on or off I actually need to place my hand in the back to see if the fan is working or not...

It's THAT silent...

Mac Mini Early 2009

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
How cool would it be if it was something like the mockup I've put together? :D

Attachments

• mac_mini.jpg
    mac_mini.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 761

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I'd guess the mini will use HD 5000 graphics, like the MacBook Airs.

I have two 2012 minis. Both are near silent. Maybe the 2011 models are noiser?

When you open lots of applications, or graphically intensive applications like Games, then it makes a lot of fan noise. I have the mid range 2011 model.

----------

I don't know what you do with your Mac...

My power on led light died and for me to check if the Mac is on or off I actually need to place my hand in the back to see if the fan is working or not...

It's THAT silent...

Mac Mini Early 2009

If you only open Safari and a couple tabs in Safari, maybe iTunes or something, it is silent. Otherwise it makes noise when you start doing more process intensive work. Or if you play any games then it makes a lot of noise also.

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Quad Haswell, and 8 GBs of RAM with Flash storage for the base model would be ideal. And an option for a dedicated GPU would be nice too, though it might be kind of a stretch :p . The Ultimate Mac Mini.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I have been delaying pulling the trigger on a Mac Mini for several months now. My pre-unibody white Macbook is getting long in the tooth. I would hope firewre is still on the mini, but I am not counting on it. As long as I can use a firewire to TB adapter, I will buy one as soon as the new one is released.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I bought a mid range Mac Mini back in early March. I'm quite happy with that decision. Even though I knew Haswell was coming, I would have gone crazy waiting.

In some ways, the Mini may have reached a level of performance that doesn't warrant any worrying about future upgrades given certain users requirements. My last Mini I had for four years and I kind of thought that was a little young to be replacing. I think the computer before that was six years old. When will my current machine not be a useable Office Suite / web browsing / iPhoto machine? Obviously, other users have different requirments.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Hoping to see Iris pro HD5200.

----------

I have been delaying pulling the trigger on a Mac Mini for several months now. My pre-unibody white Macbook is getting long in the tooth. I would hope firewre is still on the mini, but I am not counting on it. As long as I can use a firewire to TB adapter, I will buy one as soon as the new one is released.

TB to Firewire adapter available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.