Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omkarenator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
Found below exact same issue on my Macbook Pro 13" (mid 2010)

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...s+a+dark+pattern+on+bottom+edge+of+the+screen

I ordered and installed a new LCD (from ifixit.com) following the instructions manual. However the new screen did not work on the first attempt. Suspecting a faulty part, I re-installed my original screen to confirm. This time however I smelled something burning from the LVDS connector's end towards the logic board. I immediately disconnected the battery and everything stopped. I see the plastic on the clip/hook on the connector little burnt. Also there is tiny spot on the socket. I immediately disconnected the cable from both ends and tested the computer on an external monitor. It worked fine. I booted into the OS and did a proper shutdown. So I think I haven't damaged anything vital on the logic board (i guess, please confirm).

At this point, would replacing the LVDS cable solve my problem?

Is there any chance that I might have damaged either or both the LCDs (new and old) during this? There is no way for me to test that now without the cable.

Close examination shows that, the LVDS socket shorted with the LVDS connector's bracket. The plastic flap on the bracket got burnt. I see the insulation on 2/3 pins of the socket burnt out, exposing the pins. Is there any way I can verify that there is no damage from the socket side? I'm thinking and replacing the LVDS cable.

Edit: attaching a picture showing the damage to the socket

Attachments

• IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
my friend had replaced the display himself and the lvds socket shorted frying a component near the socket he now uses the laptop on an external monitor.
Check and see if anything appears burnt around the connector if not you can replace the socket and see how it works.
Was the cable fitted properly?

omkarenator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
I don't see anything burnt around the socket. But the pins on the socket have a kind of insulating layer on top just where they come out of the socket. The layer is burnt out and 2/3 pins are exposed. I think thats where they had a contact with the connector's bracket.

yes the cable fitted properly.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
In that case replace the socket hope that's the only thing gone. Ensure that the pins on the cable on the replacement display are fine.

omkarenator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
I think it involves soldering tiny pins and I don't have any experience of it. Are there any diagnostics I could do to confirm that everything on the socket side is fine and just replace the cable?

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well your cable looks burnt as well, i could be wrong but the only way to check the cable would be to test it on a working logic board unless you do know about electronics and taking a reading.
My suggestion would be to have someone with experience on macs and carries out board level repairs to have a look at it.

Maybe this thread could be of help to you.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/972699/

omkarenator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
thanks. Have been reading up on that thread for couple days now.. Now just have to get Dadioh's attention to this thread :)

also I'm more concerned with the safety of the logic board and LVDS socket than the cable which I'll have to replace anyway.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
yeah if you would've asked me to test the display i would just chicken out, what if a perfectly good board goes kaput :eek: anyways all the best and do update when you get some positive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.