Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I plan to get the next iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called) this fall. I have the iPhone 4S. I have a few questions:

1. Is it safe to restore from a backup or should I set it up as new? I'd prefer to restore it from a backup.
2. Does it matter if I restore it from an iTunes backup or an iCloud backup? I assume it would be much faster through iTunes. I'm going to be in college this fall, and I have no idea what the speed of the internet connection will be.

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
1. Restore from backup can sometimes eat battery after you have restored from backup

2. I like iTunes backup cause its faster

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I always recommend just starting fresh with a new phone because some have reported battery issues, but there are people that could care less. At the end of the day, you can always restore from backup and if you are displeased with it, restore to new and start fresh. All you lose is maybe an hour (or slightly more depending on the amount of data you are potentially restoring). It is always faster to restore from an iTunes backup, though I have done it with iCloud and just let it sit for a couple of hours as well.

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
I always recommend just starting fresh with a new phone because some have reported battery issues, but there are people that could care less. At the end of the day, you can always restore from backup and if you are displeased with it, restore to new and start fresh. All you lose is maybe an hour (or slightly more depending on the amount of data you are potentially restoring). It is always faster to restore from an iTunes backup, though I have done it with iCloud and just let it sit for a couple of hours as well.

Yes this aswell

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
is there a way to restore just contacts and texts and start over with everything else to try to minimize the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.