Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A picture posted on the Chinese microblogging site Weibo appears to show the rear of an assembled low-cost iPhone, complete with the required legal notices from the FCC and other agencies. The image was noticed by Dutch Apple site iPhone5Skopen.com [Google Translate].

iphone-lite-mini-leak1.jpg
The unit shown appears to be almost identical to the rear shell that was leaked a few days ago, though this is one of the first leaks to include legal notices on the back.

As expected, the phone appears to include a rear camera with single flash -- leaks of the new iPhone 5S have suggested a dual-flash system -- as well as similar Lightning and headphone jack locations to the existing iPhone 5.

Because of the angle of the photo, is it impossible to tell if it is an assembled phone or just the rear plate. However, it looks very similar to other reported leaks. At a minimum, there is a good chance that these parts offer a good representation of what Apple's lower-cost iPhone will look like.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a solid track record, predicted earlier this week that the low-cost iPhone would ship in early September.

Thanks Arjan!

Article Link: Another Alleged Image of the Low-Cost iPhone Rear Shell Surfaces

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
Looks cheap.

An elite tech company like Apple would never release such a subpar product.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I hope everyone is wrong and it looks way different! It'd just add so much fun to the whole thing!:)

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Notice the metal rings around the headphone jack and the lightening port!

This might actually be a fully assembled device :eek:

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Looks light the lightning connector is there so it could be the entire phone.

I'm interested to see how differentiated the iPhone 5S will be vs. the "low-cost" one.

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
The text on the rear shell looks too "in your face" for Apple. I'm calling this one out as a knockoff...

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I wouldn't buy one but I think it looks sharp(for what it's meant to be, a "low-cost" aka 4S replacement). Not sure about the other colours they'll offer, the pastel yellow for example in other leaked photos looked pretty bad. This white though looks great.

To all the haters... don't like it, don't buy it.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I quite like it, depending on the internal specs and price I might be tempted to switch at some point.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Looks cheap.

An elite tech company like Apple would never release such a subpar product.

The phone is going to become a reality whether you like it or not.

You sound like the people who complained during the iPhone 4 leak saying the breaks in the band aren't Apple and that they would never make a product with those ugly bands on it.... *Looks at every iPhone I've had since* :rolleyes:

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Oh come on. This alleged iPhone photo will be proven a fake.

There is no way this would end up in some rinky-dink store. In addition, the markings on the back are blurry (how convinient) and they get this close to a 'real' iPhone and no clear front shots?

Fake! Ad bait!!

Last edited:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I think this is a knock off... The font looks too bold and the color of the legal terms looks too large/dark/bold/something. I think it will happen but I think it will not be this.

jb2017

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
The "lighting port" doesn't even look like a legit lighting port. I'm calling a fake

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I think this is a knock off... The font looks too bold and the color of the legal terms looks too large/dark/bold/something. I think it will happen but I think it will not be this.

I was going to say the same thing. The "iPhone" is too bold compared to what we've seen in the past. Also it goes against iOS 7.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I've started to think that this might be a terrible move by Apple. Soon there will be tons of cheap iphones that people don't care about everywhere. There'll be an apple product seen as disposable and it's going to take away from their top of the line extremely high quality product facade. They should have made these look a lot different or maybe even produced them under a different name. I really hope they release non-retina macbook pros with the haswell processors so I can get a sweet computer before they mess everything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.